utorrent setup

home

few noob questions re. utorrent and setting it up

first hurdle: connection type. i ran the speed test and my current bandwith reading is 1.33 Mbps - what setting should i select? xx/1Mbit? xx/768k? xx/2Mbit?

next: ran the utorrent port checker and it tells me my port does not appear to be open. how can i open it? it mentions about making sure peerguardian2/protowall is allowing utorrent but i dont even know these programs let alone how to change their settings..

yewwwww cheers guys.

2 mbit if your bandwidth reading is 1.33 mbps.

peerguardian and protowall are IP blockers so you don't get caught for downloading anything illegal (blocks IPs of people who report others, RIAA, police, etc.). I would recommend running them with utorrent if you download movies or any other similar media. There's no available versions for these programs for vista yet though.

Usually utorrent randomizes the port used so it shouldn't matter but if you're having trouble connecting to peers, then you're going to have to forward these ports if you're behind a router or firewall.

If your behind a router then just follow directions on this site to forward ports.

www.portforward.com

If your behind a firewall then just allow utorrent.

i use azureus. downloads everything with no problems but i have heard that utorrent is faster. is this true? if so, i might have to give it a try.

also, are those peerguardian and protowall programs important? dont wanna get snitched on, but then again i heard firewalls are kinda tricky/difficult and may fuck up other internet settings on your computer. would i need to run both of them?

i use azureus. downloads everything with no problems but i have heard that utorrent is faster. is this true? if so, i might have to give it a try.

also, are those peerguardian and protowall programs important? dont wanna get snitched on, but then again i heard firewalls are kinda tricky/difficult and may fuck up other internet settings on your computer. would i need to run both of them?

uTorrent isn't necessarily faster but it is more lightweight and uses less resources on your computer. It's just the basics.

Only run either peerguardian or protowall not both. They're not too tricky, just install and run the program whenever your downloading a torrent. If you're not downloading then turn it off. It's not like a firewall where you're running it 24/7 you only run it when you need to, to block people from snitching on you when you download movies, music, computer programs, etc.

I wouldn't say its important just a precaution. I always read on torrent comments or on the peerguardian forum of people getting reported for downloading movies and whatever. The people at peerguardian actually help people with court cases too. So if you ever get caught for copywright infringement go over there.

• 2 weeks later...

next: ran the utorrent port checker and it tells me my port does not appear to be open. how can i open it? it mentions about making sure peerguardian2/protowall is allowing utorrent but i dont even know these programs let alone how to change their settings..

peerguardian and protowall are IP blockers so you don't get caught for downloading anything illegal (blocks IPs of people who report others, RIAA, police, etc.). I would recommend running them with utorrent if you download movies or any other similar media. There's no available versions for these programs for vista yet though.

Alright, I’ve downloaded PeerGuardian2 and I’ll enable it whenever I download from utorrent (that is, if I can ever get utorrent up and running..)

If your behind a router then just follow directions on this site to forward ports.

www.portforward.com

If your behind a firewall then just allow utorrent.

I couldn’t find my exact Billion router model on the portforward site, but I will probably use the Billion Bipac-7402VGO instructions which is the next closest listed model. Is this okay?

This is what it tells me to do:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Billion/Bipac-7402VGO/Utorrent.htm

It all seems a little complicated (it also wants me to setup a static IP address), especially since I generally don’t like fucking around with security/internet setting on my computer, can somebody please reassure me that this is the correct way about getting utorrent set up?

Many thanks.