University in Paris

captain5640

Has anyone gone to university in Paris? Which schools are there and what are the plusses and minuses of each? basically, I'm looking for any and all info that I can get.

Thanks

I'm in International Studies and am trying to decide between a minor in business or possibly history. The main focus of my program is sociology, poli-sci, and language.

You speak french, oui?

Oui.

Only a small amount right now though. I'm in my second semester of it at the University level and doing some other things to help myself progress faster.

(basically simple statements and questions at this moment. Definitely not enough to respond in French...)

I might as well as use this topic to ask..

What are the chances of an American getting into a grand ecole?

I'm looking at trying to attend the Ecole du Lourve in a couple of years.

I currently know very, very little French although I plan on taking classes next year.

Captain, you should definitely try the Institut d'Etudes Politiques (aka Sciences Po).

That's an important ecole, and there is a special admission policy for foreign students. Considering what you want to study, I guess this is what you should try first. For a grande école, it is quite cheap (scholarship fees are calculated on the payer's income), and its diploma is really well recognized.

But it's very selective, at least for the french students (I know what I'm talking about :( ), I don't really know for the foreigners. I think it's mostly an interview, and that if you're motivated enough, you can succeed easily (but again, I'm not sure).

you can take a look here

But it's very selective, at least for the french students (I know what I'm talking about :( ), I don't really know for the foreigners. I think it's mostly an interview, and that if you're motivated enough, you can succeed easily (but again, I'm not sure).

Just an interview for foreigners?

Know anything else about the grande ecoles?

Thanks for the info beberthur. I'll look into it.

Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne University has several areas of study, but the three main ones include Political Sciences. In fact, almost any of the Paris Universities offer political sciences. Sciences Po should be yr top choice, though.

There is always the AUP, American University of Paris, aup.edu. I don't really know that much about it except that it's expensive. When I went to take a tour there when I was in High School everyone who went there seemed to really like it.

The AUP is really expensive indeed. But I don't get the point of studying in paris if it's to choose the AUP. Most of the students there are from expat families. And as far as I know, the US have much better universities than the AUP.

At that price range, you should instead try the grandes écoles (in Paris, HEC, ESSEC and ESCP are very good business schools).

a2b489 is right, most of parisian universities have business or history courses, but Paris 1-Panthéon Sorbonne is by far the most complete.

Even though schools are expensive, we are far from $20 000. For Instance, the best business schools cost 8000€ a year.

Unfortunately, that's not really that far from $20,000 these days.

yo seiji you post on ib talk no?

yes universities are cheap, in paris the most famous ones are "dauphine" and "sorbonne". the first one is more appreciated in france, while the second one is more recognized at the international.

business schools are more expensive but they are widely appreciated (gec, essec, escp-eap check financial times rankings) and you're almost sure to get a job once you dropout

Seiji,

Do you know anything about the Ecole du Louvre?

The information online is very limited (at least the information in English),

& I'd really love to know more. If dedicated, could one take two years

of college French & be successful at a Parisian university?

Thanks everyone for the information.

Seiji,

Do you know anything about the Ecole du Louvre?

The information online is very limited (at least the information in English),

& I'd really love to know more. If dedicated, could one take two years

of college French & be successful at a Parisian university?

Thanks everyone for the information.

Good question about the college French. I'm wondering the same thing?

about ecole du Louvre: what are your career ambitions? it is important because even if ecole du louvre is very interesting a lot of students are also in a parisian univesity or are doing other studies such as patternmaking etc..as a main course. because ecole du louvre is a good way to learn history of art. There is an exam to get into ecole du louvre and it is not very easy if you haven't got some museum and historical culture. but you can also attend the courses without passing any exam but you won't get a defnite diploma.(maybe you are inspired by Slimane? :P)

there is no reason that you won't succeed in a parisian university if you are studious. A lot of students (and retired people) don't work enough because everybody can attend courses at university. But if you want to get a degree you'll have to be studious that's all.

ps: i need your professional project because studies in France really depend on this.

ps: if you want to get into ecole du louvre the condition of admissions are the same for foreigners and french people so you need a good level in french. I think it is quite different for courses in art history in a parisian university.

ps: what is college french?

"College french" simply means the French language classes you take in college to learn the language.

I plan on working in an art museum or art gallery, or possibly being involved with a magazine on contemporary art. The fact that Slimane went to the Ecole du Louvre was a pleasant surprise I discovered after already looking at the school.

I plan on taking two years of art history here in the States before attempting admission to the Louvre.

ok A2b, i think you'll have no problem if you do so to get into ecole du louvre but there is an alternative. You can get an equivalence by la sorbonne university to get in ecole du louvre without passing the exam if you take the major history of art. i think it will be better because you 'll study french by coming to France and because you won't have a lot of work at the university you can also attend language classes in France. I think it will be a better alternative than staying in the us studying french and history of art ;)