It's cold and I need help

herpsky

I live like an hour away from Canada and it's like 3 degrees outside (farenheit, -20 in celsius)

I have a huge ass window in my room 6 * 5ft and there's cold air seepign into my room.

i'm thinking of going to a home depot and picking up some styrofoam board to cover the window.

is there anything i can put on / over the window to prevent the cold air from coming in?

e.g. films

the plastic is your best bet, but it feels real nuts looking at it all the time. mad white trash.

i prefered putting up real big sheets of felt, it might not have kept as much heat it, breathing more as it did, but it looked nicer, and did the job. Blackout curtians can help in those hazy hung over mornings too, so, its kinda a win win thing.

im going to home depot this afternoon

can i find the window kits there?

also, what do you guys mean by plastic sheets?

are these similar to saran wraps?

It also depends on the type of window - if it's one that's able to be opened, the draft is probably coming through at the edges. You can try getting these small strips of adhesive foam to seal the space (which doesn't look ghetto). You could also try the plastic sheet (they sell them at hardware stores, and are thicker than saran wrap, which would work as well but probably not nearly as well - as it's thinner and you'll probably require multiple passes since a roll of saran wrap is thin in terms of width). The plastic works by stopping the draft from getting into the house, and creating a pocket of air which will also hold heat better.

If it's one of those windows that don't open, maybe the seal is old and you'll have to get some caulking to re-seal it. If the house is older, it could also be the wood that's warping (in which case you'd have to re-seal it anyways).

the plastic sheets combined with the heavy drapes and a space heater at night works well in my room -- which gets no heat and has a window leak. but when the space heater is off it's cold where i need a jacket to be in there still...but there's no draft.

and thanks darkanimal--i didn't know sistersuzie made those, so much better than a towel.

I'm having the same problem, but I'm in Florida?

I'm near palm beach, directly facing the ocean. It's gusting at around 60km, and the temperature is somewhere near 13.

last night it was below zero, cold air is blowing in from every crevice! what we've done is tried to put things from where the air is coming in to block it.

i might as well just go back to canada.

the ocean looks like alaskan seas, its terrifying.

I'm having the same problem, but I'm in Florida?

I'm near palm beach, directly facing the ocean. It's gusting at around 60km, and the temperature is somewhere near 13.

last night it was below zero, cold air is blowing in from every crevice! what we've done is tried to put things from where the air is coming in to block it.

i might as well just go back to canada.

the ocean looks like alaskan seas, its terrifying.

that's crazy.

anyway, i went to home depot and got the window insulator kit.

it's basically a huge saran wrap. you use a hair dryer to remove the wrinkles

mine came out quite shitty. like there's a huge bulge but

if it prevents the draft, i aint complaining