Suggestions for a getting a leather jacket tailored? (In NYC?)

Leonard Leroy

Taking in jackets in the chest (ie across the sternum) is a huge alteration and may not be realistic. Do you mean taking the jacket at the sides? If you mean at the sides, try taking it to Jack at Hong Kong Tailor (on Waverly & 6th Ave). You may need an appointment because he's gotten very popular, but I've seen him make alterations to leather garments and outerwear before. I've had him alter my suits before and I've been quite happy.

Hrm, would taking in a jacket at the sides make it slimmer in general?

I went shopping around for a Schott out of curiousity in Jersey. The leather store I went to told me size up so the length would be right, and they would just take in the jacket for me so it looks right.

I'm not exactly sure what they meant by take in, but I assume its possible to make a jacket slimmer?

I think it could be taken in from the sides underneath the armpits, but I don't think you could make the chest smaller with out taking off the arms and re-sewing it.

Are you super tall and skinny or something?

Most Schott jackets come in tall sizes as well, so I would look into that before you buy something that doesn't fit with the intention of having it altered.

Which jacket is it?

im in the same situation. i have a leather jacket that i would like to have taken in a bit at the shoulders and chest area. its a really nice jacket and it has some sentimental value so i am willing to pay more for a good tailor who wont fuck it up.

any recommendations? i did a search for good tailors in NYC. it seems that the two most popular are Stanton tailors (anybody know their address?) and

Campos & Campos Custom Tailors (237 W 14TH St New York, NY 10011-7120 Phone: (212) 989-7620)

however, i think these places were recommended for being great suit tailors. anybody know if they are also skilled with leather jackets? or alternatively, anybody know of other great leather jacket tailors?

im in the same situation. i have a leather jacket that i would like to have taken in a bit at the shoulders and chest area. its a really nice jacket and it has some sentimental value so i am willing to pay more for a good tailor who wont fuck it up.

any recommendations? i did a search for good tailors in NYC. it seems that the two most popular are Stanton tailors (anybody know their address?) and

Campos & Campos Custom Tailors (237 W 14TH St New York, NY 10011-7120 Phone: (212) 989-7620)

however, i think these places were recommended for being great suit tailors. anybody know if they are also skilled with leather jackets? or alternatively, anybody know of other great leather jacket tailors?

Shoulders and chest is the most substantial alteration a tailor could possibly do. Many tailors will not even do it. Whoever you go with is going to have to take the jacket apart and re-sew it. This would definitely require a skilled tailor and you may get charged a lot for it (if you're in NYC, think hundreds). The lousy part about such a big alteration is that the jacket may not even feel familiar to you once it comes back.

Any chance the coat will fit you in a few years onces you've gained some weight?