Suit sleeve alteration question

dj808

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Miu Miu suit which I took to the tailor to get altered. I was looking to get about 1/2" of shirt cuff to show from the jacket sleeve, but he tells me that he can't shorten the jacket sleeves enough to accomodate this length b/c it has working button holes. Is he for real or just being a lazy ass/inexperienced tailor? Thanks!

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Miu Miu suit which I took to the tailor to get altered. I was looking to get about 1/2" of shirt cuff to show from the jacket sleeve, but he tells me that he can't shorten the jacket sleeves enough to accomodate this length b/c it has working button holes. Is he for real or just being a lazy ass/inexperienced tailor? Thanks!

No he's right. If they are working button holes, then the only other way it to take the sleeve up from the shoulder, but this is a delicate and expensive alteration, since they need to re-do the arm hole from the shoulder down, i.e. undo the stitching and re-alter the entire arm circumference once the excess cloth it take off. It can be done though by an experienced tailor but it'll cost you $100+.

Like Rajio said, your tailor is right. This is an alteration that is well within the skill set of a good tailor, but it won't be as cheap as taking the sleeve up from the bottom. And don't even think about doing this with a tailor you aren't sure of. On well made suits, you'll often see that there are no button holes on the sleeves and the buttons come in a little plastic bag. This is done so that the tailor can first get the sleeve length right, then create the button holes afterwards.

If your tailor is telling you that he can't make your jacket sleeve the right length leave and never go to him ever again. Taking the sleeve up at the shoulder should cost $50-75 at a good tailor. Cutting the sleeve and making another buttonhole just seems kind of retarded and half assed on an expensive suit and it never looks right.