San Francisco - W

BrokenGlass

Headed there this coming weekend. I'll be there Friday 11-9 and coming back the following Monday.

I'll be there with a couple of friends and we're looking for stuff to do / places to eat and drink / places to shop (which seems to be covered in this thread http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=18051 but if anyone wants to add or elaborate or update me in this thread that would be awesome) /

We're actually flying into and staying in San Jose with my friends family there and plan on heading into the San Fran each day , but if there is anything in San Jose you guys know about, that would be welcome as well.

edit: I don't know what the W in the title is for

Santana Row in San Jose is a pretty pricey area but there's some good dining there, and it's definitely a lively place on weekend nights. I love the atmosphere there. You can actually find mid-high range dining, but I'm not sure what kind of budget you're running on. Regardless, it's definitely one of the places in SJ you should visit.

Across the street from Santana Row is Valley Fair Mall. It's massive - but nothing too special.

*Edit* If you're planning to go to Westfield Mall in downtown SF, Valley Fair is also part of the Westfield chain of malls and the Valley Fair in SJ is just a larger mall of the San Francisco one.

Santana Row in San Jose is a pretty pricey area but there's some good dining there, and it's definitely a lively place on weekend nights. I love the atmosphere there. You can actually find mid-high range dining, but I'm not sure what kind of budget you're running on. Regardless, it's definitely one of the places in SJ you should visit.

Santana Row is an OK place to go eat. Blowfish Sushi is an anime-themed, "trendy" sushi place; you've got Ulysses which is decent greek food, and Left Bank for some reasonably priced French food. Regardless, no restaurants here are intimate, 100% authentic 'local' places, but rather, trendier 'chains' in the vein of PF Changs, Maggiano's, etc. Not a place for food snobs, but okay for groups that want to walk around and choose from several different places.

San Jose has a great Mitsuwa Japanese market that shares a parking lot with Kinokuniya Japanese book store, so if you want to pick up some fashion mags, some shochu & instant ramen it's a neat little center.

There aren't any decent clothing stores in the silicon valley area, so no need to worry about that. The closest you have to something worth visiting is the Ralph Lauren store and Bloomingdale's at Stanford Shopping Center (Palo Alto), but both of these stores are also in San Francisco (better ones I might add). If you do go to that area, check out University Ave. a mile away: some neat bars, etc. - NOLA makes good mojitos and appetizers.

• 2 weeks later...
ok anybody know if there is anything interesting to do in SF thanksgiving night? im stuck there all night so i have to find something to do.

Help out at a shelter. Did it one year, it was a decent experience.

Can't think of much else. Do people even do things on Thanksgiving besides family dinners? Everything is closed.

yeah thats the thing.. im having dinner at a family friend's house, but other than that, i'm supposed to be staying in a hotel the rest of the night, even though i live 40 minutes away.. and that dinner isn't even really a time to celebrate family and friends.. at least in that household.