How do they prewash jeans?

Hey I have been to an idustrial laundry quite a few times. Processes used include hand sanding, enzyme washes, the enzymes eat at the denim and distress it. Stone washing, washed with small pummis stones or ceramic balls, I have even heard of washing them with old skateboard wheels. The factory I went to he had this big sandblasting machine. It's like a big arcade game, you put your jeans in the glass box, then put your hands in the rubber glove inserts in the side and start blasting away at the jeans. He also had different cut outs of various whisker shapes, cut from heavy duty perspecs. So you lay them over the jeans and start blasting to wear out the whisker's. All the sand/glass chips get continually re-cycled through the machine. The funny thing is he had never used it on any production, he bought it for like 10k?? He's a real crazy old dude that works there mainly by himself and when someone comes in he yarns for hours and shows you everything. I have been meaning to go back and ask him if I can have a play with it..........could be a bit of fun.

There is a million more process they use no doubt, these are just the ones I know about. Blanco will be the man to talk too

Basically laundries are separated into 2 halves.

1. Dry processing. This may include sanding by machine, hand, airgun. Chemical (potassium pomanganate) retouching with gun & brush. Grinding (like a knife grinder), tacking and various handmade processes. 3D, resin and baking. Lazer. etc etc.

2. Wet processing. This is when the jeans get washed in water +/- stones, balls, enzymes, chemicals etc. Plus spinners and dryers.

The jeans may move back and forth between various departments depending on the look required.

It's an interesting art.