Going to Brazil (with pics)

PaperSt.

So I'm going to brazil at the end of september. Flying in to Salvador (Bahia) and splitting my time between there and Rio.

Anyone been to Brazil? any Sugestions??

Looking for some things to do or places to go...thanks in advance

Salvador (Bahia)-

4ztkbyw.jpg

Rio-

68h5t2p.jpg

And Brazil's greatest export-

4ypelxj.jpg

oooh. bahia....

there is an old brazilian song about a beautiful dark-skinned bahiana and the vatapa she makes...

Quem quiser vatapá, ô

Que procure fazer

Primeiro o fubá

Depois o dendê

Procure uma nêga baiana, ô

Que saiba mexer

Que saiba mexer

Que saiba mexer

you should find uma nêga baiana and ask her to make some vatapa for you...

bahiana.jpg

ha ha ha brazilian song lyrics crack me up every time.

sorry dude but BOTH the pictures you posted are of Rio de Janeiro . . . Salvador da Bahia looks like this

4umbm2r.jpg

i've never been to Bahia but it's supposed to be pretty awesome. Rio fuckin' rules too. i recommend Lonely Planet Rio de Janeiro, it's an excellent book.

mojinho, are you a carioca? if not, what are you doing in rio?

i'm american with brazilian blood. now i live here for work.

as for the slums, well, Rio does get a lot of bad press about violence. just be smart. if you want a look at the slums you can take favela tours. they take you up in a jeep like some sort of safari so you can look at poor people like they're animals in a zoo (can you infer what my opinion of these tours is?).

the women (and men) are sweeeeet . . .

i can't wait to go to brazil. i am probably going to go next year for my friend's wedding.

i've loved brazilian music ever since i first heard djavan on toots thieleman's brazil project.

brazilian food is great, but expensive in new york. i especially like food from bahia.

perhaps, i will go back to teaching myself portuguese...

good brazilian designers: Blue Man, Osklen, Redley, Complexo B, Hot Buttered. none others come to mind right now. tons for girls, though. those are all home-grown brazilian (they're all carioca, i think) brands. São Paulo has more fashion stuff. in Rio, you can go to Shopping Leblon or Praça Nossa Senhora da Paz square in Ipanema for lots of stores.

oh and who could forget Havaianas, in myriad colors and designs?

the board shorts here are off the hook, they have awesome designs, way better than anything i've seen in the US anywhere. in general the surfer look is in. everyone in Rio walks around looking like they're going to or just came from the beach, even if they haven't been there in a long time.

i don't do any martial arts, that's totally not my cup of tea. mostly into running.

i second the Fernando de Noronha recommendation. i haven't been yet but it's on the top of my list. unfortunately it's ass-expensive to fly there from within Brazil. don't know if purchasing a ticket in the US through a travel agent would be cheaper?

as for Recife, looking up a few posts, i haven't heard any good things about it. it's supposed to be more dangerous than Rio, if that's possible, and you can't swim in the beach because there are a lot of sharks. it's close to Porto de Galinhas, though, which is supposedly a nice resort area. i just don't know if, based on what i've heard from peeps around here, i would spend time in the city itself.

as for Recife, looking up a few posts, i haven't heard any good things about it. it's supposed to be more dangerous than Rio, if that's possible, and you can't swim in the beach because there are a lot of sharks. it's close to Porto de Galinhas, though, which is supposedly a nice resort area. i just don't know if, based on what i've heard from peeps around here, i would spend time in the city itself.

one word: olinda.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...