Difference between British and Japan cow hide

apu

hi all, just wondering if anyone here can give me some pointers on the differences, e.g. texture, color, special characteristics between the Jap and British cow hide

i am a noob on this so pls dont flame me if my questions sounds ridiculous

This is an odd question considering that the country of origin really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. The quality of leather is determined by the process by which it is made (tanning, etc.) and has very little to do with the breed of cattle used. Texture and color is determined by the part of the hide used to make the leather, and the dye used to color it.There are no specific breeds of cattle which yield 'better' leather.

Certain Japanese companies may put more time into softening their leather, etc. than other Japanese companies, yielding better leather; the same goes for British companies. Doesn't make one country's leather better than the other as a whole. Also, you should know that both Japan and Britain import the vast majority of their meat/leather/cattle from Australia anyways. India, New Zealand and Pakistan are also major exporters as well.

Check out these Wikipedia articles, for some info.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather

i am planning to get a wallet from a leather craft dude

i asked him if the leather is like the ones for Redmoon, etc and he replied that the leather he will be using is British cow hide and he said its like the ones they use for Luis Vuitton

Back in the day when cars were made with actual wood, chrome, and care was put into the looks, the luxury firms used to import Bridge of Weir leathers from the UK for their cars. Even the Italians such as the esteemed Lancia did it. Mercedes-Benz used to import American leather.

France's major luxury tanneries are owne by Hermes incidentally.

However, Japan's hide industry does offer the rare shell cordovan, but I suspect given the Japanese mentality they regard their own skins as inferior to European or American skins.