PRPS stlye denim that's NOT PRPS?

super

IMHO, i think prps denim looks pretty dope. i am only trying to stay away from PRPS because they are now owned by Academiks and because the bad quality of the denim. are there any labels that make denim like PRPS at more affordable prices and higher quality?

Edited by super on May 17, 2005 at 01:20 AM

For one-wash jeans it may be worth looking at Jean Shop. I don't recall the prices, but they do a lovely orange selvage one-wash that is very similar in feel to the PRPS one-wash. Starchy, compact denim. Nice orange stitching too, like 45rpm Aihikos, Nudie RRs and of course, Levis. However, I believe that Jean Shop is, like PRPS, owned by a mother company.

For much cheaper selvage in traditional style cuts, try Edwin Greenville or Nashville (and you can do the PRPS style one-wash cold soak at home). There's quite a lot of choice for selvage with many brands producing at all price points - some are listed here: http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=817&start=121

For washed you could try Fullcount, Omnigod, Warehouse, Eternal, Number Nine, Fibreops, MSGR, BlueBlood, Rogan....for much cheaper high contrast washes, maybe worth looking at Pepe London.

Edited by ringring on May 17, 2005 at 03:46 AM

funny post.

akademiks or rather, donwan, who partly owns akademiks is who started PRPS (originally named PRPL). their quality is going up, not down considering they now have a couple deliveries worth of experience under their belt in the high-end japanese selvedge department. the denim is made at the very same manufacturer they started with, but the washes and details have become even more ambitious which is partly why the price points went up last year.

Yo Super,

Prps has always been owned by Akademiks, and for quality, if you mean hand made denim, soley costructed in Japan using hand picked Zimbabwe cotton, good luck, how funny that you hear they are owned by Akademiks and then think the quality went down, same denim as the day they started, stop frontin, learn something!