Paris from 3.3-10.3

El president

Just wondering what to do exept from visiting nice shops and dining.

Does anyone know any underground raves, magick-shows or nice conserts I should go to? Im very open for everything but kinda whant to do something more exiting when Im in Pars. Also thrift-shops and markets, where to go? Small galleries, maybe neo-conseptual. I would very much like to go and see TTCor anything in that lane.

Any personal hints would be much appriciated

Launch party of Palais de Tokyo’s very own Palais Magazine is thursday, march 1 from 7pm. Artist Lucas Ajemian and musician brother Jason Ajemian will conduct a classical orchestra performing Black Sabbath’s into the void backwards…yes indeed. Location: 13 avenue du president wilson - 16e.

Paris en Force, celebrating 25 years of nike airforce 1, the Special Force Club pop-up store will open on march 3-19, 10am-8pm only. Location: 66 rue jean-jacques rousseau - 1er.

Check out the eponymous Showcase party - My boss is a slut - on saturday, march 3 from 10.30pm-5am. Gig lineup includes Chicks on Speed, Terry Poison and the Vanity Boys. Pont Alexandre III - 8e.

Cult director david lynch' exhibition The Air is on Fire opens at Fondation Cartier (261 boulevard raspail - 14e) on saturday, march 3. Mind you, this is the first public display ever of his paintings, drawings, pictures, films and even sound tracks.

(^ Thank you Andreas)

On the 2nd, there is a party at called Soirée Gangz: Poni Hoax (live) / Joakim (dj set) / Tigersushi (dj set) + guests. From 9pm to 7am also at Showcase.

8 Legs (These Grey Daayyyyyysss) is playing live at Showcase on the 10th at 9pm. I wish I could be there myself!

The Paris Fashion Week is from feb 25 to march 4 so there should be plenty of parties everywhere. Ask around for insider tips.

Posted this a while back:

It's been a while since I've been to Paris. I remember going to this massive club right in the red-light district of Pigalle called La Locomotive. Basically your usually massive Euro club blasting the usual epic trance/house hits: Better Off Alone and Blue by Eiffel66 were on heavy rotation at the time, which should give you a clue for the time and setting. Several levels with differing genres in each room. Entrance is right next to the Moulin Rouge on Boulevard de Clichy.

Now a "better" place was a small lounge/club on Boulevard Poissonnière called Rex Club, which was built in what appeared to be an old theatre. Awesome place. Small and intimate. Terry Francis from London was in town and playing tech-house. Definitely less a superclub and more of place where people who love house music congregate.

I suspect that these clubs are still around and I'm sure they have an weekly event as all such clubs seem to do.

Around Rue de Saint Denis are several small underground jazz clubs. Great music in a very intimate setting. Dark, smoky lounges with harmon-muted trumpets. Others with scat singing and energetic crowds. Watch out for all the hookers around the area though :)

I remember going to this massive club right in the red-light district of Pigalle called La Locomotive. Basically your usually massive Euro club blasting the usual epic trance/house hits: Better Off Alone and Blue by Eiffel66 were on heavy rotation at the time, which should give you a clue for the time and setting. Several levels with differing genres in each room. Entrance is right next to the Moulin Rouge on Boulevard de Clichy.

holy shit, i went to this club 10 years ago when i was 16. the only thing i remember drinking heineken and dancing to "The Roof Is On Fire", that and Moulin Rouge being next door. I completely forgotten the name till you wrote it; one of my earliest drunken memories...single tear.

The fashion shows going on right now, I'm guessing it's closed off and invitation only?

Will there be anything interesting going on around the area while the show is going on if the public can't get in?\

I'm pretty close by right now (just south of the river in st michel) and wanted to see if it's worth fighting the crowds, if there are any.

Pretty much all shows are impossible to get in without invitation. But it might be fun taking a peek outside just to see the photographers and VIPs if that's your cup of tea.

I remember that the Dutch Fashion Foundation had young Dutch designers do guerilla fashion shows once, outside where the big names were about to do their presentations. So there would be models posing outside where the photographers were to get a glimpse of VIPs walking in. I think that was in 2005 though and I don't expect them to pull the same prank more than once.

Still, there might be some off-program events that are open for public. I guess you have to ask around. I know that Printemps and Lafayette have weekly fashion shows that are open for the public, but I'm not sure if they are worth going to.

Last time I was there, Le Paris Paris was the club of the moment. I also had an awesome time at a bar called Andy Wahloo - good for pre-clubbing perhaps?

what are the chances of getting in paris paris, is it hard or..?

what about other places, whats the general style in paris with clubs - three hour lines and not a chance to get in unless you know everyone or are there good places worth going that are actually easy to get into? :)

i haven't been to any clubs or bars out here yet, but from what some of my coworkers tell me, it's impossible to get into the clubs without an even number of girls. I thought LA was pretty bad, but apparently it's worse here.

studying abroad? i spent a year in paris, amazing. check out le truskel and pop in. they're the best bars imo

I would say it's usually difficult to get in, but not impossible. During the Fasion Week it might be harder though. I guess it depends on the venue, day of the week, the party and ofcourse how you look. Last time I was there, we were a group of four: one girl, three guys. They sometimes make you wait outside for a bit and then let you in.

i haven't been to any clubs or bars out here yet, but from what some of my coworkers tell me, it's impossible to get into the clubs without an even number of girls. I thought LA was pretty bad, but apparently it's worse here.

Paris sucks like that if you are trying to go to the over trendy commercial BS clubs

There are tons of freaky places you can get in when you're solo

also if you by any chance have access to a TV, try to watch Paris Premiere the tv show called Paris Derniere.

The presenter goes around Paris at night every week and you see how crazy Paris is.

The show airs Friday nights at 23.30 ( there's some replays of the show check out the website of the station )

And more importantly the adress book of the places visited:

http://www.paris-premiere.fr/cms/display.jsp?id=p2_368588&occId=p2_551784&emiId=bd_6124

The places can range from mega underground to high class to trendy to x-rated.

actually working out here, will be out here for about 1-1.5 years

the places are called le truskel and pop in? Are they clubs or bars?

truskel is okay its very ..... 'rock and roll' and by rock and roll they think its green day. i havent been to pop in but i hear its pretty good. truskel is a bar + club.

truskel is okay its very ..... 'rock and roll' and by rock and roll they think its green day. i havent been to pop in but i hear its pretty good. truskel is a bar + club.

you almost go it right. replace green day with the rolling stones and bloc party.

went to favela chic last night for some dinner and drinks...

the food was pretty good and so were the drinks, but the music was pretty iffy when it turned into a club. I think I only heard 2-3 hip-hop songs which were all from the early 90's so the rest of the time I saw mainly salsa. Oh, and there were high school chicks dancing on the benches.

went to favela chic last night for some dinner and drinks...

the food was pretty good and so were the drinks, but the music was pretty iffy when it turned into a club. I think I only heard 2-3 hip-hop songs which were all from the early 90's so the rest of the time I saw mainly salsa. Oh, and there were high school chicks dancing on the benches.

kong is a pretty nice place if you want to go to place with both a restaurant and a club. its on the upper two floors of the kenzo building close to pont neuf. the place itself is pretty cool and the view from the upper floor is great (glass roof) and the lower floor turns into a club, from around 11pm. its not a major party place probably but a nice spot to eat and get a few drinks afterwards. music was mixed, but most of it pretty good. food was good, a table on the upper floor is a must for dinner.

have you checked palais de tokyo, by the way?

kong is a pretty nice place if you want to go to place with both a restaurant and a club. its on the upper two floors of the kenzo building close to pont neuf. the place itself is pretty cool and the view from the upper floor is great (glass roof) and the lower floor turns into a club, from around 11pm. its not a major party place probably but a nice spot to eat and get a few drinks afterwards. music was mixed, but most of it pretty good. food was good, a table on the upper floor is a must for dinner.

have you checked palais de tokyo, by the way?

Does this place require reservations? I don't really speak french so it's hard for me to make reservations/talk to the lady with the clipboard at most of the places. I'm pretty close to Pont Neuf so I'll definitely check it out if it's relatively easy to get in (and get a table at the top). Roughly how much are food and drinks there?

Haven't seen Palais de Tokyo yet... worth a visit?

try cafe etienne marcel. not a club, but super good food and great music.

Thanks for the rec - Does the music play softly in the background or is it a louder place? I tried googling it but it seems to be a pretty common name, do you have any more info on where/what it is?

Does this place require reservations? I don't really speak french so it's hard for me to make reservations/talk to the lady with the clipboard at most of the places. I'm pretty close to Pont Neuf so I'll definitely check it out if it's relatively easy to get in (and get a table at the top). Roughly how much are food and drinks there?

To answer your question, Kong is usually quite busy, so making reservations is advisable. The people who manage reservations speak good English - no need to worry. I don't remember the prices exactly. The place is not cheap, but it's not ridiculous either.

Kong has good (not great) food and the top floor is quite impressive indeed. The top floor however is also a bit massive. Too many tables, one row after the other, have a negative influence on the atmosphere. Personally I prefer to sit on the lower floor, because it just seems much more cozy. This however is personal, because during my last visit, one of my friends asked me why we couldn't sit upstairs. :)

The once very lush and modern interior is showing signs of wear, which in my opinion is something you DON'T want to see in a place as pretentious as this. I had dinner here a few months ago and it really made me sad to see the decay. It's not completely ruined, but it used to be immaculate (can't think of a better word) - today it is certainly not. My overall impression is that it used to be one of Paris' hotspots. It clearly isn't anymore.

Another point of criticism is the staff. I know Parisiens can come across a bit arrogant/proud (take your pick) and as a native Amsterdammer I'm used to staff not being as hospitable as they should, but my experiences at Kong were probably the worst I've ever experienced in Paris (I can go into details if you want). I've had dinner at Kong a few times during the last few years and have had obnoxious waiters every single time. The staff seems to think they are the fashion/cultural elite of Paris and the guests should be thankful for eating at Kong. Still, maybe this was just my luck.

On a positive note.. on a busy night it's great fun to just sit at the bar and enjoy a few drinks and just look at all people sitting at the tables. There's quite a lot of show-offs flashing cash and their wannabe models there - which is usually a good source of entertainment.

I'd like to end this critical post with a quote from our beloved Linlee. I read her review on Kong right after I just got back from my first visit and I though it was very on point:

prime location, above average food, amazing decor, but in all, this is quintessentially the overhyped spot of 2004/2005. situated on the two final floors of the picturesque samaritaine department store [the kenzo boutique is on the ground floor entrance] the service is shocking to put it simply, so if you're in the mood to nestle amid classy starck-like surroundings for a few hours whilst waiting to have your order placed then this spot is for you.

My advice is to go for drinks at Kong and eat elsewhere. As I stated earlier, the food at Kong is nice, but there are much better restaurants in Paris that are more affordable to boot. A restaurant called BON (Rue de la Pompe) for example.. make reservations for the semi-private booth next to the rhino's head. You'll have your own chandellier. Guaranteed supercool and very romantic at that! :)