Film SLR

interp

I've taken up a photography class, and I need to invest in a film slr... :P

Anyone recommend anything for under the $200 bracket? Something preferably not made in the 70's... even though I love the vintage look of them, they require too much maintenance from my experience. I'm looking at something that also has AF as well as MF options, as AF is imperative for somewhat quick shots... and when I get lazy.

get a pentax k1000. it's a fantastic camera to learn on.

Funny, that's what I'm actually using now :D

The thing is, the foam lining in the housing has started disintegrated, and now there's little foam bits in the main body and focusing screen.

Hence why I'm looking for somethign more modern and with AF....

Any experience with the Rebel T2 or K2?

because of digital, film slr are actually pretty cheap. i have a nikon n75, don't get it. me and a friend of mine have similar models and after two years its start to malfunction. but that might be the case for most digi/analog cameras? i prefer fully mechanical cameras. but if you are getting one, make sure it has both manual and auto settings. i don't prefer AF, but i guess its useful for candid or street photography. check bhphotovideo.com for used ones. best way to learn is to take lots of photos:)

I would go with an AF Nikon, as you could can use some of their excellent manual focus lenses on it too.

The N80 or N90 are both affordable and good choices. Check out Ebay or Keh.com. They've got full manual controls too - so you can shut off the AF and easily learn with them.