Chain stitching in Orange County?

gmail

if you're just looking for a reliable place to get your pants hemmed or tailored, I've been to a place called Lucy's right outside of South Coast Plaza by the sears. It's like in the parking lot of the mall, kinda weird, but she's good. Sometimes a little hard to understand, but I've had her do numerous jackets, jeans, shirts, etc. If you're looking for a basic hem she'll get you covered and usually in around an hour if you ask for it. Hope that helps

-

Kevin

ahem... paraphrased (poorly) from BiG:

Chainstitch: It is made of two threads chaining and locking together for superior strength and flexibility. It's much stronger than a regular single stitch. When sewing the hem, the machine creates a special "pull" to the fabric while stitching. This creates a slight directional pressure in the hem. As the jeans shrink after several washes, this tug will develop a pronounced "roping" effect in the hem.

i see. i am now a better, more informed person. my other advice if you're looking for something like that, go into the designer stores. John Varvatos and YSL both have in-house tailors at South Coast Plaza that I have heard will do outside work. They might at least be able to tell you where you can get some chain stitching done. I know I'm going to try the same seeing as how I've always hated that. She's never screwed my shit up though. But it'd be nice to know my jeans/shirts/etc are stronger for it.

just talked a friend at Varvatos at south coast. he said they and most of the other high end stores use these people:

European Tailoring

650 Anton Blvd Ste I

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

(714) 966-1433

He said Terry and Nic run the place. A middle eastern couple, speak english well. I'm going to give them a shot now for sure. Unfortunately, I just have too hard of a time at Lucy's although they've never messed anything up before.

As far as YSL goes, I know they have a tailor IN the store who a salesperson once told me will do outside work. Let us know if any of that works, now I'm curious.

just talked a friend at Varvatos at south coast. he said they and most of the other high end stores use these people:

European Tailoring

650 Anton Blvd Ste I

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

(714) 966-1433

He said Terry and Nic run the place. A middle eastern couple, speak english well. I'm going to give them a shot now for sure. Unfortunately, I just have too hard of a time at Lucy's although they've never messed anything up before.

As far as YSL goes, I know they have a tailor IN the store who a salesperson once told me will do outside work. Let us know if any of that works, now I'm curious.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll give European Tailoring in Costa Mesa a call sometime this week if I decide to get my jeans hemmed. I've been cuffing them the past few days and I'm starting to get use to it, but we'll see.

:D

• 1 month later...

don't settle for a regular hem. i'm sure you spent a good amount of money on your jeans so you might as well go all the way. make the drive up to hollywood trading company in los angeles (on beverly blvd) and get a proper chainstitch hem. if you drop them off at the beginning of the week you'll have them back by monday the following week. plus the store itself is really cool and beth and amby are great. if you're lucky you might see scott (glamroots here on sf) hangin around.

don't settle for a regular hem. i'm sure you spent a good amount of money on your jeans so you might as well go all the way. make the drive up to hollywood trading company in los angeles (on beverly blvd) and get a proper chainstitch hem. if you drop them off at the beginning of the week you'll have them back by monday the following week. plus the store itself is really cool and beth and amby are great. if you're lucky you might see scott (glamroots here on sf) hangin around.

+1 on HTC. they do great work.