hotels in paris (and must-check stores)

mike lowrey

we're heading to Paris in March and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for places to stay. of course someplace downtown. I'm travelling with my girlfriend so looking for something nice, preferably somewhat modern. oh and something in the €200 range.

I was looking at a few Tablet Hotels, for example Five seemed pretty interesting.

found plenty of store discussion etc by searching but any must-check suggestions are of course welcome.

edit:

incase someone ends up reading this topic now, Hotel Artus is my favourite out of the few hotels I've stayed at in Paris. awesome location just off of boulevard saint germain, close to two metro stations. close to heaps of restaurants, cafes, also a grocery store nearby etc. the hotel itself is great, really comfortable and hip room and friendly staff. I will definately stay here again.

Bel-ami is not bad either, trendy and nice place, however considering Artus is both cheaper and nicer, I'd stay there.

a couple of coworkers of mine have travelled to paris on business and they always stay at either Le Meridian in Montparnasses or the Grand Royal Saint Michel, both of which are around 200-250Euro I believe.

Based on their reviews, the location of Saint Michel is unbeatable, but the rooms are tiny. Le Meridian is a little farther out but the rooms are larger (about 2x) and more luxurious (one of their rooms came with a hermes soap holder :))

Check out:

http://www.muranoresort.com

http://www.pershinghall.com

http://www.paris-hotel-a.com

A good location is nice (and expensive), but not that important in Paris as the underground lines are plentiful and safe and the people on it are fun to watch. Besides, every neighbourhood has its own crowds and ambiance.

http://www.citadines.com/en/france/paris/saint_germain_des_pres.html is pretty well located... 195EUR or so.

If you're staying for a week I'd really look into short term lets on a flat - there are a lot of people doing holiday rentals, and if you do it through a reliable agent you can get absolutely amazing places in great locations for less than a hotel

• 2 weeks later...

wanted to bump this because I am headed out sooner than I thought and need to look into hotels/extended stays.

I am going for work in early Feb and going to be staying there for possibly 2 months. I will be working out in Massy, but I plan on staying somewhere around the center of paris. I am not too familiar with the metro, but I'm guessing it can be learned pretty easily in case I have to swtich lines. Are there any recommended hotels/apartments for this length of stay? Budget is $225 Euro / night...

• 2 weeks later...

In Paris you should check Hotel Costes center of Paris rue saint honoré next to Le Louvre and lots of things... As for stores : 2/3 areas : avenue montaigne juste behind les champs elysées with big brands : chanel, prada, ysl, dior.... rue st honoré : colette and lots of stuffs... rue faubourg saint honoré : comme des garcons, galeries lafayette....

I would rather stay in Saint Germain des Prés (6eme arrondissement) or 1st or 8th arrondissement. If you need help in French just contact me !

Bon voyage !

The Eiffel Tower area is by far not the best area to stay. Far away from everything except.. well.. the Eiffel Tower. Instead, go for accomodation near Le Marais or if you're old and rich, around Place de la Concorde/Le Louvre.

Check out Surface 2 Air, off Rue de Rivoli (you might want to double check the adress)

and why is everything shop based... go see the Monet Museum. Think of a 2 storey museum full of expressive strokes, and a room where each wall is lined with 2 of his Waterlily paintings. The sheer scale and quantity of his work is mindblowing. I spent 3hours there, and would've spent more if my girlfriend hadn't stopped nagging. Its on the outskirts (accessible by underground), but DEFINITELY MY FAVOURTIE SPOT IN PARIS.

http://www.citadines.com/en/france/paris/saint_germain_des_pres.html is pretty well located... 195EUR or so.

If you're staying for a week I'd really look into short term lets on a flat - there are a lot of people doing holiday rentals, and if you do it through a reliable agent you can get absolutely amazing places in great locations for less than a hotel

this is something I am definitely looking into for my trip in a few weeks...

thanks.