does "stretch denim" permanently stretch?

bobdazzla

might seem like kind of an odd question but:

rule of thumb on 100% cotton jeans is to size down and expect at least 2 inches of stretch in the waist over time.

Does this rule also apply to "stretch denim"? Denim with 2% spandex for instance?

Obviously the jeans stretch while you wear them, but will they never became permanently larger because of the spandex (they'll just return to their initial size once you take them off). Or will there be some stretch, but way less than if the jeans were 100% cotton?

Or does it vary greatly from brand to brand?

I'm trying to decide on the perfect pair of cheap mondays to buy online. I usually wear a "29 inch" in nudie for instance, that eventually stretches out two inches, but because cheap mondays are spandex, i'm wondering if maybe i should size up to compensate for a lack of permanent stretch.

thanks

it does vary wildly from brand to brand. nudie stretch jeans stretch permanently after a while, for example. but with cheap monday, though i've noticed a TINY bit of permanent stretch on my tight unwash, maintain they're shape pretty much. they've got a LOT of stretch and they use spandex which i think is stretchier than lycra. not sure about that.

basically, buy them so they fit you now. don't buy them with the intention of them stretching to fit. also, i seconds diamonds about the OD black. definitely size up!

one very important thing to remember is that cheap mondays are super stretchy in the sense that they give so much that a number of different sized people could all get comforably into the same sized jeans. i sized up one in CM from my nudie size, but they were like leggings. think about going up 2 sizes if you don't want them to be skin tight (unless you have stick legs. and 3 on the OD black).

now that i've written way too much: that is all.

cool, thx for the advice

the black OD's have "5-10% stretch" according to caliroots, judging from other threads on here I'd normally size up 2 for those, but i'm actually looking at a pair that has "3% stretch"... maybe size up just 1 then? If I'm 29 in nudies try a 30 in cheap monday?

sorry that i turned this into another "cheap monday fit" thread.

dry the rain,

didn't see your post, thanks for the great advice. Caliroots isn't very forthcoming on the materials used in making these "3% stretch" cheap mondays:

http://caliroots.com/system/search/product.asp?id=5301

hate to make you write too much more, but do you think the "size up 2" should go for this pair as well? can't tell if they're spandex or not, maybe i should just size up one.

hope this all isn't too confusing. I appreciate the help.

i actually have two pairs of slim jims, one pair in dry greycast, one pair black/black

greycast is still unwashed and has stretched to a well-fitting 32.5"

the black black is also still unwashed, but since the material is "looser", it has stretched out to about 33.25"

I strongly perfer the greycast fit, but would rather go looser (towards the black/black) rather than any tighter than where the greycast is at.

thanks!

so you prefer the greycast fit but would rather go looser than any tighter? that's what i got from that.

my unwash size 31 measure 33.25" in the waist after stretching a bit. quite slim on the leg. so i'm guessing if you size up to a 31 they'll fit you slim on the leg (unless you have stick legs) but closer to the black black waist.

if you're ok with them being pretty tight, just size up one. they won't be uncomfortable because of all the stretch. it's all about the look.

my unwash 31 is a bit tighter on the thigh and much tighter on the calf than my SJ dry black in 30.