Quality Denim

Geowu

Looking for the best denim brand, being selvage for the durability and nice aspect, what would it be?

Some say the best are made by 45 rpm, but the ones I saw on their Japanese website are quite ugly and cheap looking. The cuts are way conservative, with high fronts and large fit. Helmut Lang's are usually not made of the best selvage or/ not selvage.. although they have great confort and fit.

I mean, supposing you actually don't care about the cost, you want the best denim available.. also the most in confort/fit there is, not those conservative cuts... then what's the best brand?

Something like Nudie's - Reg Ralphs but better. The best confort and best selvage?

helmut lang boot cuts would be great if the denim quality was better and the cut of the boot cuts was JUST a tad bigger. hard for a fat ass like myself, even more surprised to find a 38... if only men's denim was as simple as making an ass/figure look good.... if you can't skate in 'em, can't buy em.

I AM LEISURE.

for the record, the helmut lang boot cut really isn't "boot cut" per se, but when buying them at any authorized retailer in LA (rodeo department stores), you're bound to see a 60-year old dad in some real boot cut Seven jeans and the comedy of that alone is at least worth half the price tag of some helmut lang jeans.

I AM LEISURE.

Something like Nudie's - Reg Ralphs but better. The best confort and best selvage?

Something like Nudie RRs is 5EP bootcuts. They are great jeans, like a mix of 501 and 11MW (Wrangler style coin pocket and fell inseam, 501 style hidden-rivet back pockets, selvage outseam). Two colour stitching, indigo yarn logo stitching on back pockets, skinny, inserted-into-waistband belt loops....and great denim.

'Better', fit and comfort are subjective, but the 5EPs, IMO, are great jeans.

"for the record, the helmut lang boot cut really isn't "boot cut" per se, but when buying them at any authorized retailer in LA (rodeo department stores), you're bound to see a 60-year old dad in some real boot cut Seven jeans and the comedy of that alone is at least worth half the price tag of some helmut lang jeans."

HA!

I'm not illiterate, I just can't type!

1112216788617_lee1.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 20, 2005 at 11:31 AM

• 3 weeks later...

Geowu,

I've got those 1100's jeans. I got them like a year ago. The denim seems really good, and they have evolved into a very comfortable jean. They are loose fitting, but I am not so good at describing whether they are high rise front/back and such. All I know is that I usually wear a 35 or 36, and I bought them from a store that for some reason decided to rinse them once (got a discount though..). They are a size 36 waist, 34 L and are at least an inch too big for me around the waist and are still plenty long (I am 6'1"). I've rinsed them in cold water a few times, and more recently in hot water to try and shrink them more (to no avail). They also stretch a lot in the knee/thigh area. The fade color is kind of a bluish/green color, and I don't know if I like that too much. I'll try and post pics of them in the next few days. The outer seam stitching split (where the left front pocket is). It was an easy repair, but still a little unnerving for me as I expect a higher strength jean for the price. Also, after rinsing a number of times now, the jean is still quite stiff after it dries, although it is now very comfortable to wear.

On the whole I like them, but they were my first pair of high quality denim, so I have nothing to compare them to really.