Bucharest, Romania

Lucas

• 2 years later...

I'm gonna try to revive this thread.

I'm going to Bucharest next week for a long weekend from Nov 29th - Dec 2nd.

Will stay at a friend's place there. She's pretty crazy so I bet I should be pretty much covered when it comes to the local places.

What about traveling to Transylvania? Anyone? Heard it's only an hour drive from Bucharest or something.

Also, Dec 1st is supposed to be the Romanian national day so I bet I will see loads of... flags? :)

Anything else?

romania is one of the coolest places ive been to.

my parents used to live there...ive been there a few times and every time i went was always an experience. this was just before they got into the EU though, so its definitely alot more tourist friendly now. yes, having a friend there who knows all the local places etc., will be a great help.

recommend transylvania. its well worth it. although a bit of a drive, alot of the romanian countryside is really scenic (even if it is the middle of a fucking cold winter)

also recommend a quick tour of Chausesku's (former) palace in Bucharest. its only like 30 mins or so but shit is mind blowing.

So you are staying in Bucharest? I also went to timisoara which is 3-4 (?) hours away. not worth it for such a short trip, but can't stress how camera friendly romanian landscape, architecture...and everything else is.

only thing i didnt really enjoy was romanian food. abit too strong...salty...pungent for my liking..

^Could you by any chance tell me the name of that particular Chausesku's palace that you visited? I asked my Romanian friend and she doesn't have a clue as to which one you're referring to. :confused:

Yes I will be staying in Bucharest at my friend's place.

One more quick question, how's local people's ability (and willingness) to speak English there?

Watch your shit.

Could you please elaborate as well.:)

Is it THAT bad? I hope it would help that I'm actually going to be there with a local.

I have plenty of people telling me the following:

1. Beware of the gypsies

2. Don't give money to beggars

3. They will kidnap you and steal your organs

4. Leave your iPhone at home cause that thing is basically 'asking' to be taken

5. You'll end up like in that movie Hostel

But then again, they were Bulgarians. So maybe it's just this Bulgaria - Romania rivalry?;)

From what my parents tell me (I'm from romania), there are many beautiful castles to visit and a lot of mountains. There are some lovely places in Romania but as others have mentioned, it has its uglier side. North and south Romania differ greatly, I can't remember which one has the gypsies but I think its the north.

Lastly, don't think too much about the selfish/greedy/unfriendly behavior of some, they probably have lived through many years of communism and depression that has changed their lifestyle and outlook completely, not that its excusable but it is understandable, whilst quite sad.

Hope you have fun though, take many photos and see as many things as you can.

^ this is truth.they have a tacky dress sense but are hot. i was told hot women are romania's biggest export....expats who come and fall for and marry a local.

beautyfake, are you still in bucharest?

probably too late but...

this is the one i was talking about

untitled-2.jpg

it was former President 'Ceausescu'. sorry for the mispell before.

and with regards to your other questions, no its not that bad.what you hear is just elaborative rumours. obviously there are gypsies that steal your shit and im sure bad shit goes down more than in other countries but as long as you are reasonably aware it will be fine.

anyways, hope your loving it. looking forward to stories and pics. (and if you got pickpocketed or not ;))

Yes and yes.

my buddy swears romanian girls are among the hottest in the world
From what my parents tell me (I'm from romania), there are many beautiful castles to visit and a lot of mountains. There are some lovely places in Romania but as others have mentioned, it has its uglier side. North and south Romania differ greatly, I can't remember which one has the gypsies but I think its the north.

Lastly, don't think too much about the selfish/greedy/unfriendly behavior of some, they probably have lived through many years of communism and depression that has changed their lifestyle and outlook completely, not that its excusable but it is understandable, whilst quite sad.

• 1 month later...

So I’ve been wanting to post my review of Romania for ages! But Sufu was just so fucked up it never showed up. Finally! Seems like everything is getting better now.

So here’s a quick recap of what I learn from my 4 days trip to Romania:

1. Romanian weed + Romanian food = BAD!

2. PISIES = Eastern European bimbos

3. Listening to 'Manele' music is not cool. It's music for the peasants

4. Romanian fog could get pretty crazy. I wasn't able to see the big ass Chaucescu's castle because of it.

5. You CAN buy Margielas in Bucharest

6. People STARE at me. As if they've never seen an Asian person before. Might be true though given the fact that I saw NO other Asian / black people while I was there.

7. They eat loads of PORK

8. After walking around in the middle of the night in the small city of Brasov (where people look like they're about to kidnap and cut you to pieces), seeing a McDonalds sign felt like I've seen god.

:D

Romanian food posted here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=1583192#post1583192

And pics from the trip coming right after this…

I went to this wannabe "glamour boutique club" called GAIA where i felt i saw the highest number of stupid girl per m2 in my entire life. and i am not exaggerating. all girls were just too... pissies! ;)

i guess if you're rich or (at least) look rich (even though you're ugly s fuck), just beware..

those girls will come at you.

and oh, the music was PAINFULLY bad. and everyone drank champagne as if it's NYE.

3078701922_4899994389.jpg?v=0

3077905623_2c53fe727a.jpg?v=0

stayed at GAIA for 45 minutes only for the good entertainment. and then my friends took me to this place called "The Otherside". And it was much better. Just felt like a pretty normal youngsters club. People don't really dress up as most of them were pretty casual looking. At this place I discover that dancing to System of a Down is pretty fun. When you're drunk that is.

3078794072_4f7b1dfc59.jpg?v=0

3078034831_6832dd326a.jpg?v=0

i guess the options for going out in bucharest is pretty much limited to those two kinds of types. it's either those wannabe exclusive clubs filled with pretty people or just a very laid back casual club with pretty random (but sometimes fun!) selection of music ;)

so.. as i mentioned before, you COULD buy margielas in bucharest.

there's only one store though called RAIONUL4. and the prices are relatively higher than in the rest of europe..

3208132392_4d84d608be.jpg?v=1232384928

3207277175_ca5e324a60.jpg?v=0

3207273551_77770cafb9.jpg?v=1232384872

not far from that store you'll find RAIONUL6, which is basically the lower end of the store. it was very small and they only carry stuff from fred perry, swear, etc.

3207298495_1583e347ab.jpg?v=0

3207302489_29fe353383.jpg?v=1232385023

but the most interesting store would be idelier.

it's a concept store / atelier / showroom for young romanian designers. as my friend from romania is a fashion design student, she got her collection showcased in that place once.

3207437015_54033946ac.jpg?v=0

3208289098_cf60a8d060.jpg?v=1232385525

3207453869_d87438899d.jpg?v=1232385591

3208317386_e3451f0d6e.jpg?v=0

3208319332_ee22184577.jpg?v=1232385676

man here is giving you the staredown

nice writeup, romania had never even crossed my mind as places to go. why did you go there?

haha! i know!

that dude was pretty freaky indeed.

why romania? good question! ;)

i just have this thing.. every winter i just love to go to the most random place i could think of (still within reasonable distance of course).

last year it was luxembourg (on a sunday when everything was closed). and this year my choice just went to romania! :) besides that, I have a pretty crazy girlfriend there so i ended up having a blast!

*hopefully my review (which i am not done yet) could contribute in making bucharest (to sound like) the next cool city to visit? :D

the massive house of chaucescu. i seriously can't believe that i wasn't able to see it at ALL the night before because of the fog..

3207602843_36fe541e6e.jpg?v=0

Autumn in Bucharest..

3078570049_7c2932219c.jpg?v=1228316034

My Romanian friend and me..

3207294623_6c07f6c462.jpg?v=1232384989

That's one dirty car..

3208157264_d0aa1df2dd.jpg?v=1232385071

I forgot what building this is..

3208164000_7ea987a817.jpg?v=0

The supposedly new modern monument that is hated by all the locals. They say it looks like shit on a stick.

3208253788_68b38f622e.jpg?v=1232385354

Some interesting photography project on the building?! (I forgot..)

3207493283_aa53d85cab.jpg?v=0

Probably the most colorful part of Bucharest..

3207517421_15665c2ff1.jpg?v=0

The abandoned Chaucescu's building..

3208503994_46f708a829.jpg?v=0

Some old looking communist flats that I guess haven't changed since.. forever?

3208506966_15f0b819a4.jpg?v=1232386077