Barbara Kruger vs. Supreme

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

It's funny that in the MTTM interview on RTHQ.com the interviewer brings up Barbera Kruger and is greeted with blank stares from MTTM as to who she is. Just ironic considering the Supreme jack of Barbara Kruger for their logo and the subsequent jack for the "supreme bitch" tee.

So they sell your stuff in Union, so I imagine the Supreme Bitch T was taken with good humour by the crew at Lafayette. Am I getting too analytical if I was to ask if you were reclaiming (or even parodying) the feminist text Barbara Kruger might have conveyed in her work, or was it just a piss take on the Supreme logo and no more?

At first we weren’t sure if the Supreme Bitch tee would be a problem. But we were like fuck it. We brought it to Union and Maryanne took the shirts to James’ at his office and came back down two minutes later and said he liked it. That was pretty dope. We aren’t all that familiar with Barbara Kruger, so no it had nothing to do with her work. We did it to make noise. It worked. And girls dig it. Even guys dig it.

Edited by Dolo on Jan 11, 2005 at 08:27 PM

• 2 weeks later...

supreme didn't necessarily jack the logo from her. the whole brand is based on pop culture references to things in and around the new york state of mind and skating. Barbara kruger grew up in new york, went to parsons and ny insititue of design as well as syracuse. she is kind of a new york institution by herself. She kind of defined the media of the 80's and 90's and supreme is kind of an extension of that. there is a size xl and M of the above tee on ebay ryte now.

here we go again...of course they jacked the logo from her. What the fuck is wrong with you? I'm not knocking them for that, they admit it. Can you? And to all the idiots talking shit about MTTM not knowing who Barbara Kruger is. If you read the interveiw, they do! Look at that retard "d" who is like "i'm pretty sure they jacked the logo from her" or whatever he said. No shit they jacked it. Fucking genius "d" over here. Hate on that reject, not girls that know what's up. You all sound like you are mad those gilrs are associates of all the brands and people you sweat. They are part of that world that you look in on and write about on superfuture.haha.yeah, I think thats why you hate them so much.

freekyyyy

not exactly, I could give a shit about whatever scene your talking about. I don't need friends. And i was correct in regards to supreme and the barbara kruger artwork. She's a pop artist and supreme is about pop culture, she is also from new york so the supreme logo is less of a jack then a continual pop culture reference. And once again, asking for someone's opinion on something doesn;t necessarily mean yer gunna get the response u want, and in that case, it doesn't make that much sense to call anyone who thought MTTM was lame a "hater"

exactly. I read the interview and wasn't impressed. The label is not very cool. However, maybe superfreak is right. As someone who aspires to design later on in life maybe I am jealous of how easily this label infiltrated or was originally part of a very vibrant scene when their designs just arent that great. I just saw a tee they have on the alife website. again....just a bite on the alife logo but instead of alife it says a-list....I dunno, I expect more from labels than that......