comic book movies

If Avengers is up to Iron Man caliber, it should be good! Dunno about Johanssen as Black Widow though. She's fine and sexy and all, just kind of beefy for the role imo.

Was Jonah Hex any good? I didn't realize Megan Fox was going to play Talullah Black...I thought she was just going to be bar wench eye candy.

Karl Urban May Be the New Judge Dredd

Posted on Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 by Russ Fischer

karl-urban-judge-dredd.jpg

So the word — the very advance word, mind you — is that this new movie version of Judge Dredd might not suck. Pete Travis (Vantage Point) is directing from a script by Alex Garland (Sunshine) and that’s enough of a pedigree, combined with the basic Judge Dredd backstory, to get me interested.

Now there’s word that Dredd could be played by Karl Urban, who isn’t a huge marquee name, but got audience attention in Star Trek and will be in Red and Priest. Would he make a good Dredd? Very possibly, yes.

Bleeding Cool says that Urban will be offered the role of Dredd. Which, of course, doesn’t mean he will accept. And if he does, will he remain helmeted for the entire film? A major component of Dredd’s character is that he is so devoted to the law that he’s always seen in uniform. The Sylvester Stallone film from 1995 had Sly unmasked for a great deal of the film. That caused some consternation among fans, but was only one part of the fact that the ‘95 film wasn’t even close to being up to snuff.

Urban hasn’t made it with his previous headlining roles (like Pathfinder and Doom) but neither of those were fair to pin on him, either. I think he’s got more potential than we’ve seen utilized — if Sam Worthington can be a star, so can Urban.

The Playlist was recently sent an unsolicited script review. (If anyone wants to send us the script, I wouldn’t mind.) The review generally praised the script, saying,

It’s a very action heavy script, with some amazing sequences that will make any Dredd fan happy…this is a gritty film, that plays the world we are in as a realistic future, a very dark, unpleasant crime ridden world as Dredd explains ‘Tweleve serious crimes reported every minute. Seventeen thousand per day. We respond to around six percent’. The famous ‘I am the law’ makes a few appearances….It never felt too long or too short, It’s just right. The pace is fantastic and if shot well would make for one visually stunning piece upon release.

First Look: Abin Sur, From Green Lantern

Posted on Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 by Russ Fischer

Over the pastmag-glass_10x10.gif few years, Warner Bros. has started to bring larger, more interesting props to Comic Con. Recently it was the Owl Ship from Watchmen, which, no matter how you felt about the film, was a great piece of construction to walk around in. (OK, crawl around in.)

This year, the big prop is a model of Abin Sur, the alien that gives Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) his ring and power in Green Lantern.

In the main Warner Bros. booth, in which you can also find quite a few Harry Potter props (which we’ll have pictured in a different gallery) was the coffin-like pod in which is contained the purple, wounded body of Abin Sur resides. As you can see from the images below, the model (one used on set in the film, or so we were told) is quite detailed.

The model looks quite like Temuera Morrison, too, which is appropriate as the actor is playing Abin Sur in the film. We don’t know if there’s a full-body suit that Morrison wore during shooting, or if post-processing was used to create much of his look as the alien character.

abin_sur-full-size-3-550x412.jpg

abin_sur-1.jpg

Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch Banners Revealed

Posted on Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 by Peter Sciretta

ZZ358F8305small.jpg

ZZ584437FDsmall.jpg

ZZ198B8CC4small.jpg

ZZ6173364Esmall.jpg

ZZ61B1601Asmall.jpg

ZZ5B85C06Fsmall.jpg

The film stars Abbie Cornish, Jena Malone, Emily Browning, Scott Glenn, Vanessa Hudgens and Jamie Chung. The film follows Emily Browning’s character, Babydoll, who is confined to a mental institution from which she fantasizes an alternate reality. Browning and the other girls seen here are all wards of the institution, and this shot is part of the fantasy reality, in which Browning is trying to find a handful of objects that will allow her to escape. Snyder has said many times that the film will be a dark, violent fantasty full of guns, action and monsters.

Comic-Con: Impressions, Footage Description and New Photo for Cowboys and Aliens

Posted on Saturday, July 24th, 2010 by Adam Quigley

cowboys_aliens-550x366.jpg

Jon Favreau has always had great respect for his audience, and that fact has never been more clear than at Comic-Conmag-glass_10x10.gif. They’ve only been shooting Cowboys and Aliens for four weeks, but Favreau worked hard to finish cutting together some footage in hopes of giving fans a taste of its tone and style. Learn about what was shown, and what Favreau had to say about the film, after the break.

Prior to unveiling the footage, Favreau explained that they had considered the options for 3D, but decided against it. Since the film is a western, he didn’t want to shoot digitally, leaving only the possibility of a post-conversion. His response: “That’s like shooting in black and white, and then colorizing.â€

He also elaborated a bit on the approach he wanted to take with the material, playing the film as a “by-the-book western†in the vein of John Ford and Sergio Leone, embedded with the type of scary sci-fi he remembers as kid, such as Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Alien.

Two clips were featured, both of which are presumably from the beginning of the film.

The first was an atmospheric bit of old school western style, with Daniel Craig horseback riding alongside his dogmag-glass_10x10.gif through a barely populated town. He enters an empty home, and checks to see if anyone is there. It seems like nobody is, so he starts to wash his face, revealing a large metallic device on his wrist.

From behind him, a man rests the end of a rifle against his head.

The second sequence was far more elaborate, opening with Craig in prison in a cell opposite Paul Dano.

Dano makes sneering comments at Craig. Craig ignores them, but Dano keeps going. Finally, Craig reaches through the bars and slams Dano’s head against them, knocking him to the ground.

Dano and Craig are handcuffed in a carriage, and begin to be taken away. Harrison Ford, playing Dano’s father, halts the carriage.

After a brief quarrel, they’re interrupted by a fiery strip of light in the sky. It seems to be getting closer. Then, it vanishes. The townsfolk look puzzled. Suddenly, the light reappears and bursts into several UFOs, firing laser bolts into the town. The characters navigate the exploding buildings, while spotlights from the ships seem to be lifting and knocking people all over the place.

Craig arises from the overturned carriage. The device on his wrist has expanded, and is glowing with white lights all around it. He aims it toward a ship flying right at him, and it starts to power up. As the ship nears, the device lets out a powerful blast and annihilates the side of it. Craig drops to the ground as the ship collapses behind him.

The device closes shut, and Ford and the rest of the townsfolk stare at him.

Reactions:

It’s far too early to make any snap judgments about the film, but I certainly admire Favreau’s approach. The vibe I was getting from the footage was that it was like a dead serious western with Spielbergian flair, which matches Favreau’s own description of what he was going for to a tee.

Some of the explosions looked a little cheesy and fake, drawing attention to the environment being very obviously a movie set, but that could easily change with some tweaking in the editing room. The shot that sold me the most was the one featured in the image above, with Craig utilizing his Iron Man-esque gadgetry to take down an alien ship.

My only hesitation to the material was, surprisingly, Harrison Fordmag-glass_10x10.gif. On top of looking so very old, he also came across far sillier than he should’ve, like he either wasn’t trying or didn’t know what he was doing. It was only one scene though, so I’ll reserve judgment until I see the finished film.

Comic Con: Thor Panel Impressions and Footage Description

Posted on Saturday, July 24th, 2010 by Russ Fischer

Marvel finally unveiled moving images from Thor today at the studio’s panel in Hall H at the San Diego Comic Con. Director Kenneth Branagh took the stage with Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Kat Dennings, Clark Gregg and Tom Hiddleston. They didn’t reveal much about the film we didn’t already know, but did twice show a trailer.

First up, because I have to get this out of the way: the trailer was shown in 3D, and it was pointless. Just as with The Last Airbender, a great many shots looked like they were barely in 3D at all, and even the most processed shots didn’t particularly benefit from the conversion. Beyond that, I thought the film looked a lot better than we’d been afraid it might. Hit the jump for a full trailer description.

Here’s a full rundown of the trailer:

It opens with thunder and lightning, and a camera shot that drops directly down into a SHIELD-erected structure. The building is hiding the hammer of Thor, which was found in New Mexico. We hear Agent Coulsen (Clark Gregg) interrogating Thor as shots are intercut of Thor decimating SHIELD agents in rain and mud. Coulsen surmises that, based upon his prowess, Thor must have serious military training. (There’s a pretty cool shot with Thor useing a jump kick to drop one agent.) The interrogation comes to a head with: “who are you?â€

Then the camera flies up into Asgard, panning around a huge gold, Jack Kirby-ish palace in which Odin is castigating Thor for being rash, dishonorable, selfish and bringing war to Asgard as a result. Thor, kneeling before Odin (Anthony Hopkins), wears his helmet (looks good!) but Odin bellows his anger at Thor and casts him out of Asgard.

Then the thunder god is lying in the dirt when he’s found by Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and her assistant Darcy (Kat Dennings). Thor opens his eyes and grumbles “this is Earth, isn’t it?†The women take him in and Darcy cracks wise while ogling the god: “for an insane homeless man, he’s pretty cut.†There’s dialogue about Foster and her team being on the verge of some discovery and Thor promises that she’ll find what she’s looking for if he gets what he wants.

That’s the hammer, and we’ve got to surmise that Coulson’s interrogation comes after Thor broke into the compound to retrieve the hammer. But when we see him approach and attempt to lift it, he fails. Voiceover from Odin, “Whosoever lifts this hammer, if he is found worthy, shall weild the power of Thor.†The young god is obviously not yet worthy.

That leads to images of Loki taking over Asgard and a swirl of combat footage — the Warriors Three battling some threat to Asgard, chaos in the New Mexico town where Jane Foster is working and a big battle between Thor and Loki. Voiceover from Odin says something to the effect that Thor will have to face what’s coming to him. And that’s when the kicker comes in: Destroyer, a huge metal beast, lands in New Mexico. Coulson and other SHIELD agents confront it, with one agent asking if it’s one of Stark’s. Then the Destroyer’s face opens up and unleashes fiery hell on the agents.

(We had a spy photo of Destroyer a while back that was removed at the request of Paramount; below is an official image released today. That’s not a still from the film, but rather a photo from the Comic Con show floor.)

So: the commentary. I liked the footage a lot. Getting beyond the 3D, the stuff on Earth fits in very well with the Marvel movie universe as established in the Iron Man films. When not in the costume, Hemsworth looks powerful, though not insanely massive. (And, for what it’s worth, Branagh said that some elements of the Don Blake story have been worked into the script, but in some surprising ways.)

The footage in Asgard is a bit more fantastic, but I didn’t think it strayed into Flash Gordon territory. Branagh seems to be keeping his camera moving a lot, which might help ease a sense of stiffness that some of the costumes have. Loki’s helmet looks great, but some of the Asgardian armor and costumes will take some getting used to. But the battle footage between Thor and Loki sold me.

The Destroyer stuff is a great kicker as far as the trailer goes, because it is strongly reminiscent of Iron Man. That should help audiences unfamiliar with the characters and story. But I also wonder how big a presence the Destroyer really has — being a lot like Iron Man has a downside, since we’ve already seen climactic ‘big armor’ battles in those two films. This one has to be a smaller part of Thor, otherwise Marvel will seem like it is just relying on proven tactics.

thor-destroyer-550x360.jpg

Comic-Con: Captain America: The First Avenger Panel (Teaser Trailer, Footage and More Revealed)

Posted on Saturday, July 24th, 2010 by Peter Sciretta

ZZ333DB9EB.jpg

The Marvel panel began with an exclusive Comic-Con teaser trailer for Captain America: The First Avenger. After the jump you can read my notes from the panel, including a description of the teaser and a full scene which was screened for Hall H.

The teaser begins showing clips from World War II superimposed over close-ups of the Captain’s shield, while audio plays of FDR’s “Day That Will Live in Infamy†speech. On screen text reads: “Stories emerged…. But one story has never been told…. Every army starts with one man.†Cut to a shot of a silhouette of Captain America. On screen text reads: “Next Summer you will meet the First Avenger†We then see a short shot of Chris Evans in costume as Captain America shown from behind/side. Captain America logo. Cut to another shot of Evans in costume, this time from the front view. We don’t get to see much as he tosses his shield at the camera.

Notes from the panel:

• Director Joe Johnston calls the film “a classic adventure love story with an edge.†he says that his favorite movie of all time is Raiders of the Lost Ark, a movie which he also worked on. He says that Raiders feels as modern today as it did they day it was filmed. This is his goal for Captain America.
  • Joe says that while he has studied the complete history of the character, he’s a fan of the Brubaker version of the Captain America. So they decided to Borrow certain visual elements from Brubaker version, but are “going a bit more modern than the original.â€
  • Johnston also says that “if we don’t love steve Rogers before he gets transformed, we won’t love Jim after.â€
  • Filming has been going on for a few weeks now but Chris Evans only started on set five days ago and claims that he “did some nice gentle scenes to get my feet wet.â€
  • Marvel head/producer Kevin Feige admits that Chris has only been in a test version of the suit. The footage from the teaser trailer was filmed at a costume test. “The suit is coming together well but isn’t finished yet.†he says it’s more realistic than the cartoony version of the suit that leaked a month back. “It is something that is unequivocally the Captain America uniform but fits the time period.â€
  • Hugo Weaving says he listed to tapes of Werner Herzog to help him get the voice of Red Skull. He has only worked one day in the mask, and he has “only started†getting to “make the mask work. “

They then premiered footage they claim was filmed just last week. The footage was very rough, complete with timecode. The footage begins with the title card “Norway, May 1942″ we see told older men in a stone castle-like interior. The walls are shaking, dust and dirt falling. The wall implodes inward as a Nazi soldiers come rushing in, and examine a crypt in the center of the room. And then Johann Shmidt (Hugo Weaving pre Red Skull) makes his entrance from the huge hole in the wall. He orders the surviving old man to hand over “The Tesseract.†The man tells Shmidt that what he is looking for is just a legend. Shmidt responds, “then why go through so much work to conceal it?†The crypt is opened, and inside is the bones of a crusader holding a misty crystal white cube. Shmidt picks it up, and says “The Tesseract was the prize of Odin’s collection.†But he isn’t fooled. He throws it down on the ground, smashing it to bits. This is not what he was looking for.

He then turns his attention to the wall, which contains a large wood caving of Yggdrasil, the Norse Tree of Life. In the wall he finds a hidden compartment. Hell pulls it out and opens it. Blue glow fills his face. Shmidt says to the man “You haven’t seen this yet, have you?†The man responds, “It’s not for the eyes of ordinary men.â€

What is inside the box is the Cosmic Cube, which according to wikipedia:

“Unknown to almost everyone in the Marvel Universe, including its creators, the nature of the mysterious energies are such that, after a sufficient but undefined period of time, the matrix will become self-aware and evolve into an independent, free-willed being still possessed of the original Cube’s tremendous powers; the new being’s overall personality is psychically imprinted with the beliefs, desires, and personalities of those who wielded it as a Cube (e.g., The Shaper of Worlds, wielded for a long time by an insane and warlike Skrull Emperor, immediately destroyed a large portion of the galaxy that it was located in once it became sentient). On Earth, the Cosmic Cube containment matrix was developed and created by a society of para-military scientists known as A.I.M. to further their ultimate goal of world conquest. The object is revealed to be so powerful that it drove MODOK—another A.I.M creation who assisted with the formation of the Cube—insane. Master villain and former Nazi the Red Skull obtains the device. Although apparently now all-powerful, the Skull became overconfident and was tricked and defeated by hero Captain America. It was found by Prince Namor, but while battling the Avengers he lost contact with it, and it fell into the Earth.[volume & issue needed] Later a shard of the Cube is also used by A.I.M to power the android the Super-Adaptoid, who is sent in an unsuccessful attempt to kill Captain America. The Red Skull eventually retrieves the Cube and toys with Captain America, but is defeated when A.I.M uses an object called the “Catholite Block†to dissolve the cube.â€

‘Anchorman’ Director To Adapt ‘The Boys’ Comic?

Anchorman and Step Brothers director, Adam McKay, might direct an adaptation of the violent Garth Ennis comic book series, The Boys.

Adam-McKay-The-Boys.jpg

Along with sequels, 3D movies, reboots and remakes, adaptations of comic books are extremely popular right now. Adding to that expansive and continually growing list is The Boys, a violent comic book from 2006 by acclaimed writer Garth Ennis (Preacher). And the project may already have a director – one you might not expect.

According to A Nightmare on Elm Street director Samuel Bayer (via Film School Rejects), Adam McKay (Anchorman, Step Brothers) is in line to adapt The Boys for the big-screen. Although Bayer has expressed interest in directing the adaptation himself. “It’s so funny, I would die to do that comic book. From what I’ve heard from the producers on the movie is that Adam McKay is doing it. He did Anchorman, I guess. The studio is really hot on him and…â€; After a pause, Bayer added that if his remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street does well this weekend (which I have no doubt it will) then he may have a shot at directing The Boys. “Let’s have the movie come out this weekend and do really well. Then we’ll see how my stock is in Hollywood,†said Bayer.

Nightmare-On-Elm-Street-7-570x235.jpgNightmare on Elm Street director, Samuel Bayer, is interested in directing The Boys

For now though, it sounds like McKay is first on the studio’s mind when it comes to who will direct The Boys – and it’s a strange choice of director indeed. McKay directed the absolutely hilarious (and now classic) Anchorman, and the unabashedly stupid and crude Step Brothers (he also did Talladega Nights, which I didn’t see).

So McKay doesn’t immediately seem suited to The Boys, which is supposedly a very hard-edged comic with lots of violence and sex. Here’s the basic plot as Wikipedia has it:

The series is set in a contemporary world very much similar to the real one, with one notable exception: a number of people have some form of superpower. The series follows a superpowered CIA squad, known informally as “The Boysâ€, whose job it is to keep watch on superheroes and, if necessary, intimidate or kill them.

The-Boys-comic-book-panel.jpg

I can’t help but think that Bayer – who already has strong interest in the source material – would be a better choice to direct The Boys movie, simply because his style – as seen in the trailers for Elm Street – seems more suited than the comedy we’ve seen from McKay thus far.

Would you like to see Adam McKay or Samuel Bayer direct The Boys adaptation? What do you think of the plot of the comic series? Anyone out there read any of it?

Source: Film School Rejects (via Collider)

First Photo: Paul Bettany in Scott Stewart’s Priest

Posted on Monday, June 28th, 2010 by Peter Sciretta

ZZ06456941small.jpg

Official Plot Synopsis: Priest is set in a world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. Paul Bettanymag-glass_10x10.gif is Priest, a legendary warrior priest during the last Vampire War, who now lives in obscurity among the other human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities controlled by the Church. But when his 18-year-old niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires in the desolate wastelands outside, Priest breaks his sacred vows and ventures out to find her and seek vengeance upon those responsible, especially their brutal leader (Karl Urban). Priest is joined on his crusade by his niece’s boyfriend, Hicks (Cam Gigandet), a local outpost sheriff, and Priestess (Maggie Q), a member of his former legion of vampire-killers who has otherworldly fighting skills.

Priest will hit theaters on May 13th 2011.

Exclusive: Five Badass Photos from Scott Stewart’s Priest

Posted on Friday, July 16th, 2010 by Peter Sciretta

Screen Gems has provided us with five exclusive photos from Scott Stewart’s action/horror/thriller Priest, which stars Paul Bettany as a priest who disobeys church law to track down the vampires who kidnapped his niece.

Stewart comes from a special effects background, working on films such as Sin City, Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire, and Iron Man, among many others. He made his directorial debut with Legion, which I still haven’t seen but heard not-so-great things about.

I will say this, the images we’ve received (which you can see after the jump) look bad ass. I’m sure we’ll get to see the first trailer during Sony’s panel at Comic-Conmag-glass_10x10.gif (update: I’ve been told that a First Look of Priest in 3D will be part of the presentation), and it will likely be online soon after. Hit the jump to see the photos.

priestcc1small.jpg

priestcc2small.jpg

priestcc3small.jpg

priestcc4small.jpg

priestcc5small.jpg

Posted on Saturday, July 24th, 2010 by

After discovering that Priest—which stars as a priest who disobeys church law to track down the vampires who kidnapped his niece—was being directed by Scott Charles Stewart, the man behind this year’s Legion, my interest in the project immediately dissipated (cool be damned).

Having now seen the film’s trailer, I’ve moved up my level of anticipation to: “We’ll see.â€

Learn why after the break.

I won’t even attempt to describe the trailer in detail, as all of the footage was so quick cut and action heavy—not to mention heavily steeped in its elaborate mythology, provided free of context—that I wouldn’t even know where to start. What I can say though is that it offers an odd blend of period fantasy and techno-savvy weaponry that geeks will probably dig, and its vampires are like a splicing of the creatures from The Descent and I Am Legend.

The action beats were too rapid-fire to decipher much of what was going on, but there were a lot of spruced-up apocalyptic desert shots and monster battles and train-based cliffhangers and best of all, Paul Bettany looking badass whilst launching through the air at a vampire. As far as first impressions go, it was all very visually impressive. The 3D, which was converted in post production, looked surprisingly decent. Had I not found out afterward that it wasn’t natively shot in 3D, I would’ve assumed that it was. That said, don’t take this to mean that the movie is worth the extra ticket price to see in 3D: This was only a small sampling of clips from the film, and the studios are very aware of how poisonous the reaction to post-converted 3D has been of late. At a place like Comic-Con, where the response to a panel has the potential to drastically affect its buzz and box office , they wouldn’t risk showing off the footage if it looked lousy in 3D. It’s possible that they simply spent extra time on the two-minute trailer for the sake of garnering a better reaction.

Also shown was the film’s animated prologue, which was made by Samurai Jack and Clone Wars creator Genndy Tartakovsky. It establishes all the necessary exposition for the history behind the story, setting up the world in a far more visually pleasing manner than the deadly dull let’s-just-talk-about-this-for-ninety-minutes approach found in Legion. Looks like Stewart has learned a thing or two since that movie.

Official Plot Synopsis: Priest is set in a world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. Paul Bettany is Priest, a legendary warrior priest during the last Vampire War, who now lives in obscurity among the other human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities controlled by the Church. But when his 18-year-old niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires in the desolate wastelands outside, Priest breaks his sacred vows and ventures out to find her and seek vengeance upon those responsible, especially their brutal leader (Karl Urban). Priest is joined on his crusade by his niece’s boyfriend, Hicks (Cam Gigandet), a local outpost sheriff, and Priestess (Maggie Q), a member of his former legion of vampire-killers who has otherworldly fighting skills.

Oh Marvel, we wish we could quit you. As Comic-Con comes to an end, the studio decided to drop the mic one more time on fans, this time revealing a key prop - a secret weapon - from the Thor movie.

What is it? Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet.

Before the unveiling, an announcer at the booth asked the crowd to "prepare to witness" the Gauntlet, announcing that it will make an appearance in next summer's Thor.

The Gauntlet is one of the most powerful items in the Marvel U. Below, IGN has an image of the Gauntlet on display, alongside its comic book counterpart for reference.

thor-20100725041245339.jpg

IGN had an exclusive conversation with one of the individuals responsible for creating the Gauntlet, and they told us that it is a key item in Odin's collection, just like the Cosmic Cube is, the one we saw Red Skull searching for in footage from Thor.

Our source also hinted that maybe, just maybe, the Gauntlet will be featured in Joss Whedon's Avengers movie. And no, that doesn't mean that Thanos is the villain (or is he?)

thor-20100725041142967.jpg

So right now, you're probably asking: "What the hell is an Infinity Gauntlet?" We got you covered.

The IG is one of the most powerful artifacts in the Marvel U; a golden glove forged with six gems that ensure its wearer ultimate and universal power - as long as the glove has all six gems with it.

The gems control a variety of things, such as time and space. Whomever wields the Gauntlet and the six gems can also fulfill wishes. Its power base has ties to the aforementioned Cosmic Cube, in how the cube can manipulate reality.

Judging by the craftsmanship on display, expect the Gauntlet to be more than just a Marvel Easter Egg. Marvel's feature film panel illustrated the studio's mandate to link all of its properties, to create a cohesive universe in comics and on the big screen.

The Infinity Gauntlet is another step in that process.

sdcc-10-caps-real-life-shield-20100725114754719_640w.jpg

sdcc-10-caps-real-life-shield-20100725114757172_640w.jpg

is Priest a comic?

Whatever happened to someone making Preacher?

I really, really need to finish reading that. I just need to start reading my comics again, fuck.

edit: yeah also noticed you used /film. only movie blog i read.

Interesting, a The Boys film could be flipping amazing if - again - done right.

I finally caught up on Crossed ahead of the new issue of Family Values, now I hear they're making it into a movie!

They're going to have to invent a new film certificate to get that in the theatres, at least if they're going to be faithful (Ennis is writing the screenplay). I will echo what i saw elsewhere on the net; Crossed makes The Walking Dead look like Sesame Street.

Interesting, a The Boys film could be flipping amazing if - again - done right.

I finally caught up on Crossed ahead of the new issue of Family Values, now I hear they're making it into a movie!

They're going to have to invent a new film certificate to get that in the theatres, at least if they're going to be faithful (Ennis is writing the screenplay). I will echo what i saw elsewhere on the net; Crossed makes The Walking Dead look like Sesame Street.

Crossed is totally insane. But Ennis and Lapham both have a way of keeping things engaging despite extreme shock value. It would be difficult to be faithful, almost warranting the X rating some of those horror movies in the 80s received.

• 2 months later...

Really hope they make a good story with Thanos and The Infinity Gauntlet. If they try and cram it into 1 movie it will be a mess. Playing it out over several movies, similar to how they have been putting scenes in Iron Man ( and I am sure Thor and Cap too) to build up to the Avengers movie would be a good idea. Way to much story to go along with Thanos to shove it into a single movie.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel excited and thank the stars riddler/penguin/etc won't be in it

hardy will most likely do a good job as always, and hugo strange is a great character that works with 'nolan's universe' well. still would have preferred black mask, but now we can have tom hardy running around in a batsuit too which will be a first on-screen afaik.

really disappointed with the GL trailer. I was so hyped up for that.

a. the cgi looks fucking terrible

There's still 6+ months to go, and i remember iron man being tweaked from its first trailer so there might be hope, but it looks awful.

b. the tone seems to be wrong to me, i thought reynolds might drop the jokey, jokey for this role but nearly every line Hal has in this trailer is cringe-worthy.

hope it's just the way it's edited, and ffs fix the cg!