Learning a new language

confidant

all of these are good pointers, but i honestly think the best thing to do is to date someone who speaks a given foreign language. there is so much incentive then, plus youre around your teacher 24/7. that's how i got pretty good in portuguese

toma açaí

Agreed. My Japanese drastically improved after dating a Japanese girl. In particular for television, I suggest watching soap opera / dramas; since the dialogue tends to be more realistic. Also, in particular for Asian TV shows, lots of them tend to show sub-titles of what is said. This is great since you can learn how the characters are written. I usually dl my dramas off the net and if I don't understand a phrase, I pause the show and look it up online.

i took japanese in high school, it's a class i truly miss. my teacher was a beatnik type, who had us making our own films, drawing out own mangas, and all sorts of wild activities. you ever been out to Japan?

toma açaí

thats dope man. i loved it when i was there a few summers ago. i wish i had more time there though, we only had 12 days and we wanted to see so many spots in japan.

toma açaí

Edited by azad on Mar 14, 2006 at 07:53 PM

can anyone recommend some starting points for japanese? most of the books and CDs i've seen focus mainly on conversational japanese, but i want to learn how to read it as well.

i know this is a totally insane task to take on, but i've wanted to do this for some time and haven't really gotten any solid direction from anyone aside from 'take a class'