Pride and Prejudice and Denim

I have always despised the fact that ignorant or thoughtless people would spend exorbitant sums on shitty, shitty clothing that is often made by 21st century slaves in developing nations.

Such purchases present obvious ethical issues, one of the many reasons I prefer clothes that are made in Japan/USA/England/etc.. When trying to explain this to others they simply deride it as snobbery.

Of course, like almost everybody else, I'm a hypocrite. I purchase clothing based on production that is environmentally friendly and ethical, but then fail to apply the same rigorous standards to other areas of consumption.

So, are Japanese jeans justifiable, or should I go out and buy some hideous looking washed denim that was made in a sweatshop?

Illuminate me...

I dont get it, you are buying japanese denim thats first world made but uses cotton from zimbabwe so.... you are essentially spending exorbitant sums on well crafted clothing made from cotton thats harvested by 21st century slaves in debeloping nations. not so much different really.

I'm aware of the plight of Zimbabwe and Mugabe's psychotic "government". That's a separate argument. So the raw materials are exploitative but the manufacture uses humane labour. I'm not talking about raw materials here, just fair labour practices.

If you take that argument to it's logical conclusion you should be constantly naked, use only your legs to get around, and eat only from garbage bins.

Cotton is pretty much the least environmentally-friendly crop ever by today's production standards but I still wear a lot of it.

I wanted this thread to be about various denim styles and washes. Hideous, garish shit that may or may not be expensive.

This is some Style Forum noob icebreaker discussion...what's next? An 'Ed Hardy clothing is ugly thread'?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to WayneGibbous again.

I see your point Wayne. The immediate obviousness of bad denim makes this thread an epic late pass.

But what about the mentality of people that think overdone denim looks "good".

Would anyone here admit to having previously bought garish jawns thinking they looked "stylish"? I'm really looking to get inside that head space. You know, like a serial homicide profiler but for denim crimes.

I see your point Wayne. The immediate obviousness of bad denim makes this thread an epic late pass.

Would anyone here admit to having previously bought garish jawns thinking they looked "stylish"? I'm really looking to get inside that head space. You know, like a serial homicide profiler but for denim crimes.

I used to buy shit, and thought I looked stylish. Im sure %99 of everyone here did at some point, although they like to make it sound like they never did. I used to wear loud and ill fitting mainstream clothing.

I firmly believe not a single person here ( balla or otherwise) started out with a fantastic fashion sense, it had to grow and be nurtured over time. I think people first gravitate towards what they think everyone likes ie. mainstream hipster whatever is popular at the moment crap.

Over time, people ( myself included) start to want to wander from the crowd and be different. Likewise we start to wake up and realize that just because something has a high price tag, doesn't mean its made well.

I know people here still follow current looks and trends, especially those who are scared to drift away from SuFu approved brands.

But I think in general the overall esthetic of wearing a brand not many people have ( aside from some members of the online community), combined with a new found lust for quality and fit, drives people out of the mainstream crowd.

Combine that with so many damn niches and peoples vastly different senses of what looks good, and there is always going to be a middle of the road group that the entry level fashionista/hipster lusts after,and the higher end buyer/consumer pisses upon IMO

A good friend of mine was chilling at a party a few years back with a guy who worked for Tsubi. He was drunk and boasting about the brand power; how much people are willing to pay for Tsubi when they fall apart quicker than almost any other jeans on the market.

I had a good laugh.

Guest jmatsu
A good friend of mine was chilling at a party a few years back with a guy who worked for Tsubi. He was drunk and boasting about the brand power; how much people are willing to pay for Tsubi when they fall apart quicker than almost any other jeans on the market.

I had a good laugh.

that guy who apparently worked for tsubi must have been an idiot or just fronting under the influence. tsubi/ksubi denim's quality is perfectly fine.

trust me i know. i used to rock dkny, deisel, a&f, american eagle, aeropostale. blatant infractions but we were all young once. shit i used to wear jeans, trainers, a cord blazer and a skinny tie almost every day about 4 years ago.