Santa Barbara

MikeV

i go to ucsb. it's paradise.

are you kidding me? its fucking gorgeous out there and no matter what time of the year it is the white girls are always half naked

this is 100% true.

I have absolutely no regrets about choosing UCSB, it is an amazing place to go to school. The only people I know who didn't like it were the ones who went home every weekend (for family/girlfriend, etc) and didn't make very many friends.

i go to ucsb. it's paradise.

this is 100% true.

same boat. quoted for truth.

activities include:

shitty mall shopping at state street

mountain trips up hwy 154 camping

golfing

beach / surfing

wink

ultimate frisbee

hanging with friends

living on a 50 ft bluff over the ocean

also request manzanita village if you're confident you can make friends and want the best location on campus

request santa catalina (aka sc aka sex castles, formerly francisco torres aka fuck towers) if you want to party and meet lots of peole but have a shitty ass location

request anywhere else for inbetween old dorms that are close to classes but not as nice as manzanita facility wise

Pretty much. There is nothing to do in Santa Barbara and the job climate sucks.

I grew up there though and didn't go to UCSB. I suppose if you are from somewhere else and have parents paying for school it would seem swell.

If it isn't that exiting of a place to live in then why is there so much hype around it? Don't get me wrong living on the beach and always having dope parties to go to sounds tight, but doesn't it loose its appeal and become normal after the first year?

First off, look at this fool jmz above you who just registered and made an account just to tell you that. It was his first post here.

If it isn't that exiting of a place to live in then why is there so much hype around it? Don't get me wrong living on the beach and always having dope parties to go to sounds tight, but doesn't it loose its appeal and become normal after the first year?

I would ask what hype your specifically talking about, but it really does have everything essential you would need. The thing different about the parties at sb is in other locations theres a scene where people want to party and to party you have to know someone throwing a party or hear about one - the only parties going down every weekend are at frat houses for the most part. At SB, you walk into isla vista any night of the week and theres something going down. even if you don't know anybody and have never been to the house before - you'll be more than welcome to drop in and meet some people. If I were to emphasize anything about SB, it would be just the social environment - meaning people don't judge you or give a fuck - everyone does their own thing. Whether that be surfer bro status, metro v necks, or some lifestyle entirely unrelated to fashion, no one cares if you're different because everyone is pretty much the same anyway. (Mostly upper-middle class white)

The only thing about diversity im trying to say - yes all sorts of people go here without doubt - but there is no conflict between them or anyone including sexual tension / drama from relationships. Its just ignored for the most part.

Sororities / frats hardly exist - they're hear, but only about 10% of total population and UCSB offers a very unique option to party all the time without having to be involved in greek life which def doesn't exist at UCLA or Berkeley.

The only thing you don't have is the boutique and specialized stores of a large city at your disposal, but these are 1.5 hrs away in LA and 5 hrs north in SF.

That being said, social climate, weather, and tons of activities no matter you're interest thrown together by random co-ops of people keep it plenty interesting.

True encounter from party my first week at SB at 6591 DP:

Girl 1 (within my earshot): Kristina, you see that guy over there with the j - in the middle - pretty cute.

GIrl 2: (beginning to walk over): Ya, lets see if he'll share.

Girl 2: Excuse me, would you mind not bogarting that weed?

Me: That's quite an accusation there missy. (Hands j to her)

Girl 2: *Deep breath* followed by incessant coughing for 5 minutes and me laughing.

Me: Little harsh for you there?

Girl 1 reaches for j from girl 2

Me: You should probably know this is a hand rolled spliff with balishag, not just weed

Girl 1: (disgusted) Ahh hell no, I don't smoke the yacko.

Me: Then lets roll to the crib and do this properly with some bong rips?

hour and a half later i had two incredibly hot and high girls in my room who are now some of my best friends.

moral of the story: don't bogart that j and come to essbe. seriously.

Edit: And no not everyone who goes here is a stoner, in fact, very few are, but lots of people smoke weed regularly. There is a very large difference - not everyone who smokes weed takes on the stoner attitude. Here at SB people like to toke and go anywhere / do anything. weed doesn't define people so much as in other places because it is so available and cops don't care. (I walked down the middle of dp on friday night with the end of that spliff...)

work definitely gets done. every student here quickly finds a balance between relaxin and working. we're probably the most clever breed of student cause of that fact. i swear i'm chillin 24/7 and have managed to score some pretty good grades.

i know a few people from out of state and they all say its worth it. come visit, get a feel for the sb vibe and then decide.

Today is floatopia

"Another fun event that usually happens in the springtime is Floatopia. I am not exactly sure who usually organizes this event, but if no one steps up to the plate within the next few weeks I’m going to try to get one started. Floatopia usually takes place on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Thousands of UCSB students will meet at the beach near the 6500 access with floats and booze. Everyone hops on various rafts, floating trampolines, boats and platforms, and then paddles out into the ocean. When the participants have passed the waves into the calmer waters, they link together to form a huge floating party. This is definitely one of the best ways to spend a Saturday in Isla Vista."

-From an Article

Will update later

Today is floatopia

"Another fun event that usually happens in the springtime is Floatopia. I am not exactly sure who usually organizes this event, but if no one steps up to the plate within the next few weeks I’m going to try to get one started. Floatopia usually takes place on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Thousands of UCSB students will meet at the beach near the 6500 access with floats and booze. Everyone hops on various rafts, floating trampolines, boats and platforms, and then paddles out into the ocean. When the participants have passed the waves into the calmer waters, they link together to form a huge floating party. This is definitely one of the best ways to spend a Saturday in Isla Vista."

-From an Article

Will update later

i hope all the freshman who were hear for spring insight saw that.

kiddie pools used as floats with life vests underneath and kegs / bbq's on top...floating..in the water. yeah, that nutz.

PS. MikeV: Work hard, play hard...in that order.

• 1 month later...