NYC shopping in January 2005

Kelly

As the title indicates I will be visiting NYC in January 2005. The friends that I am travelling with all love to shop (male and female). We are from Australia and only one of us has actually been in New York at that time of the year and swears it will be a colder winter than we could ever imagine.

Anyway the question or topic of debate currently is 'What will they be selling in the shops ?'. I presume it will be the usual one season ahead stock that will be most abundant.

Others are adamant that because the weather is so cold no one could bear to shop for anything but the current season ie heavy winter stuff.

Obviously, I just want them to be selling all seasons at once, only because I will be in NYC and would like the chance to buy cool designer stuff that I could never buy in Australia.

PS it is the end of january 19-30

"Have an eye for opportunity. When it knocks, let it in. But it's not just about keeping doors open - sometimes it pays to close them on certain fingers. And if another door doesn't open, pick the lock."

check the NYC city map/shop guide on this site. it pretty much pinpoints everything out. if you're not looking for something specific then soho/broadway should suit your general interest needs. i'm sure the NYC heads on here would be able to offer more advice tho.

all shops will be selling t shirts, dress shirts, and other lighter weight cotton blend type shit, theres no 2 ways about that one

as far as shorts for guys, slim chance

skirts for girls might be tough

sneakers can alway be copped

hoodies and sweatshirts should be easy to find, but are you trying to say that cold weather stuff isnt very practical is Australia? thats what i figured, but i might be wrong.

Spring/Summer stuff will def not have dropped in Jan, its still full on winter in the states.

most of the places listed on here sell either high end stuff or street wear, so u should find stuff thats good for any climate. no shop will just sell wool sweaters and parkas, so i wouldnt sweat it. what are you looking for exactly?

hope any of that was helpfull.

do you guys buy mad perks and mini? they are australian, right?

<center>"check out the face on my watch, put your face on my crotch" </center>

• 2 weeks later...

also, if you are looking for trendy clothes and on a budget...go to H&M. There are a few through out the city but the on on Broadway/Prince St downtown has the best stuff. There are 2 downtown. By January, they definitely have summer things for people going on holiday.