dumplings in NYC

the_state

Fried Dumpling on Mott and Mosco street around the corner from Transfiguration Church. Or pot stickers as we call 'em in San Francisco...

Yeah, we call them that here in the NYC too. Pot sticker is the literal translation from Chinese. They're called that 'cause they actually stick to the pan. Got to use a super sharp and thin spatula to get them off. Or use an excessive amount of oil.

That's a relief... I know the literal translation but no one calls them 'woh teep' here, just fried dumpling. I thought it was a coast vs coast thing since I've heard instances where East Coast folk never heard of pot sticker.

cosign on sun dou on grand street.

in sunset park, there are a couple awesome dumpling spots. you get 5 dumplings for a dollar. yes, one dollar. also, you can get a bowl of wonton soup for a buck, too.

for shanghai steamed pork buns, i think shanghai cafe is the best. they are on 100 mott street. joe's shanghai is a close second, i think.

my first experience with joe's shanghai xiu long bao was sublime: the skin, the broth, both the crab and pork filling, left such a lasting impression on my stomach. I dont necessarily agree that the Qns one is > to the Chinatown one, I think I do remember the Chinatown one is more expensive and comes with a few less baos.

however, since the time that i first tried Joe's (probably around 1995) my palette has become way more refined (esp. when it comes to chinese cuisine). And now have problems with Joe's version, to wit: I don't think xiu long bao should be as large as they are at Joe's (even for a skilled soup spoon ladeler such as myself), as its quite tedious to eat. Instead, soup dumplings are best fit for consumption in bite-sized form.

for "Wor Teep" aka Fried Dumplings... 54 Mulberry St, Grand St between Mott and Elizabeth(i think its the place colesawyum is talkin about), and that joint Sid said on mosco st bet. mott and mulberry... the spot on Eldridge St between Grand and Broome isnt as good anymore... less meat, more dough... but just because its on "Time Out NY" white folks swarm that place...

shang hai xiao lung baos ("soup dumplings")... Joe Shanghai, Joe Ginger(same owners), New Green Bo, New Yeah! Shanghai Deluxe, Moon House

avoid the Shanghai restaurant by the tunnel @ Elizabeth... lacking alot for the past 1-2 years... never plump, lacking soup in the dumpling, the skin is hard...

yeah i think joe's shanghai is rather lacking. i don't see whats so great about it. the soup in teh dumplings are sub par, and the skin is just way too thick.

there's this place grand sichuan on 26th and 10th that make the best xiao long bao/ siu long bao/ soup dumplings whatever you call it. their sichuan dan dan noodle + an order of dumplings is a great meal, any time of the day.

under the LIRR on main street

fried dumpling in chinatown

these are for the poor and huddled masses

They raised the price, its 4 for a 1.25 or something. But its so worth it, the vegetarian lo mein is amazing. But they make some good pork buns also.

Liberation1945, you cant let everybody know about flushing's best spots (kidding)

Fuck a link... let's meet up at Mott and Mosco, order $10 worth, and grub at Waiting To Die Parkkkkkkkkkk down the block.

We can play Chinese Chess too... or checkers... or finger traps.

Booyah!

the mosco side street one. then I stay around columbus park.

the other one thats near there....theres a bitch that works behind the counter so fuck that.

or there's the one on Allen and one on Eldridge. most tourists, white people, hipsters, w/e they are go to the one on Eldridge.

Fuck a link... let's meet up at Mott and Mosco, order $10 worth, and grub at Waiting To Die Parkkkkkkkkkk down the block.

We can play Chinese Chess too... or checkers... or finger traps.

Booyah!

i bought a 50 pack of frozen ones back then... it never came out as good as how they do it @ the store...

Rachel Ray's 40 dollars a day... i can do better... 10 bucks a day in Chinatown!