Osaka/Kyoto in December

Caramel

I will be heading to Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe for 6 days in December, and would like recommendations for the following:

Kaiseki

Kobe beef

Crab

Any local delicacies

The best temple to visit

The must-buys

Cool bars?

I know that there must be threads about this in the forum but I'd really like updated info for these. Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I were in Kyoto for 3 days back in September. If you can, try to stay at a traditional ryokan. It's not cheap, but the kaiseki we had was one of our best meals ever. Neither of us eat beef, so our meal was seafood only, but it was incredible. In case you interested, we stayed at this place called Kikokuso. Very nice people.

We're both fans of okonomiyaki, which I think originated in Osaka, but don't quote me on that. Do try some if you've never had it.

I think the coolest temple we saw was the Fushimi Inari-taisha shrine one stop outside of Kyoto. It's a ton of orange arches that stretch up this mountain side. We saw in in the rain, but if it's cold and you have some good outdoor shoes, I think this place would be incredible in the snow!

We also liked Kiyomizu-dera, which is a complex that on one of the hills overlooking Kyoto. It's pretty cool and gives you some good views of the city too.

As for shopping, check out Teramachi Dori. There are a ton of shops on this covered street that must be 5 blocks long.

Have fun!

I'm in Kyoto right now. So far from all the temples/shrines we've seen, i was really blown away by the golden pagoda. Also Nijo Castle is an amazing site to walk through. The creeky floors to spot intruders really is true!

I have a couple of more days, so after much more walking i'll post up any other temples that i think are must sees.

As for food, i can't remember the names of the places we've eaten at, but so far it's been great.