Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Greg- I was in London last September and I made sure I visited Taylor's on Old Bond Street. I met Leonard Taylor and bought the shaving gear from him. Pre-shave oil, badger brushes, shaving soap etc. Very nice man. I mananged to get a nice shave in the back as well.

I was at Jermyn Street in November. I was working there for a few weeks, and on long lunch breaks would zip over to Jermyn St. looking for another obsession - men's shaving gear and fragrances. Taylor of Old Bond Street, and my favorite place, right around the corner on St. James, D.R. Harris. Didn't see Trumper's though!

So I stopped in at Edward Green and asked them why they are better than Crockett and Jones. "Oh dear," said the salesman. "We are on a different level entirely." :-)

I don't know where to get an Edward Green fitting in NYC. Saks sometimes has had trunk shows, according to SF.

Tricker's Stow costs $675 in the U.S. It's about the same that C&J's Skye would cost if they could put it on the 325 last. I'll call when I feel like spending that much. I sort of want to see how the Whites Semi Dress come out before spending over $600. I have very good contacts at C&J, so I'll let youse guys know! The Villiers rock too!

Greg- I was in London last September and I made sure I visited Taylor's on Old Bond Street. I met Leonard Taylor and bought the shaving gear from him. Pre-shave oil, badger brushes, shaving soap etc. Very nice man. I mananged to get a nice shave in the back as well.

LOVE Taylor's. Best quality for the prices.

i have the cat paws on my lone wolf boots and they're pretty decent. i was empire shoe repir (my favorite. on lexington and 71st) and enquired about having them resoled with cats paws to keep the original look of the boot and they strongly suggested that i switch to a vibram because it's a far superior sole. i guess the vibram offers a better longer lasting rubber compound over the cats paw which might be true because the cats paws wore thin pretty quickly. looks cool though.

another cool looking sole i'm interested in are the cat paws. anybody have any experience with them? (the latest lightning magazine has some articles about them.)

Yes, I believe I met Leonard Taylor too. Older gent who was training one of the younger guys to take over? Anyway, one of my favorite colognes is their luxury Sandalwood. My favorite sandalwood fragrance anywhere. Most men's fragrances have a bit of sandalwod in them, and if they are pure, the smell a bit botanical, losing that great old-skool barbershop aroma. But Taylor's has it, and also has a soapiness to it from what I think is white musk. I bought a few bottles there.

Now normally I'd buy their shaving creme too in the tub. BUT right around the corner is D.R. Harris, who beats anyone in the world for soaps and shaving cremes, as far as I've come to experience. Trumper's is more famous, but I've never seen any shaving preparation with the richness of Harris's products. Their Almond bath soap is the best soap I've used in my life. But it's like $8 a bar! They have a pharmacist there too, that's their level of professionalism. She knew every ingredient in the colognes too. I really like their Quinine and their "His" toilet water. Lavender and sandalwood, very long lasting. Both companies use non-synthetic ingredients. OK, next post back on topic!

Yes, I believe I met Leonard Taylor too. Older gent who was training one of the younger guys to take over? Anyway, one of my favorite colognes is their luxury Sandalwood. My favorite sandalwood fragrance anywhere. Most men's fragrances have a bit of sandalwod in them, and if they are pure, the smell a bit botanical, losing that great old-skool barbershop aroma. But Taylor's has it, and also has a soapiness to it from what I think is white musk. I bought a few bottles there.

Now normally I'd buy their shaving creme too in the tub. BUT right around the corner is D.R. Harris, who beats anyone in the world for soaps and shaving cremes, as far as I've come to experience. Trumper's is more famous, but I've never seen any shaving preparation with the richness of Harris's products. Their Almond bath soap is the best soap I've used in my life. But it's like $8 a bar! They have a pharmacist there too, that's their level of professionalism. She knew every ingredient in the colognes too. I really like their Quinine and their "His" toilet water. Lavender and sandalwood, very long lasting. Both companies use non-synthetic ingredients. OK, next post back on topic!

Quick note: I was impressed by Vulfix's house brand Sandalwood shaving cream (I got a sample)

Crockett and Jones report. I went today to see their shoe expert. She knows more about shoes than almost anyone I've ever talked to. I tried the 337 hand grade last for the Villier, and the last for the Skye. I ordered a Villiers and a Skye to try on in the store, promising I'd buy at least something! It turns out that you can special-order any shoe on any last - you just have to pay. So I can get the Skye on the 325 last that fits me so well. It costs like double including leather sole. So I'll see what fits. I can always get the brown Coniston (on the 325) which they have in stock now. If it had leather soles I'd have picked it up already, but it's got Dainite.....

She told me that in the last two weeks there have been a flurry of orders and even more inquiries for Skye, Villiers and Conistons. And brogued shoes. She couldn't understand this quick upsurge of interest. One gentleman knew his C & J size and just today ordered 2 Villiers, a Skye and a Coniston. One Villier he had made into a spectator boot with linen mixed with leather vamp. I told her that there's an internet group of boot nuts that like C & J footwear. There must be lots of lurkers here... I told her we started talking about brogued boots and etc. with lots of photos just about 2 weeks ago.

Crockett and Jones report. I went today to see their shoe expert. She knows more about shoes than almost anyone I've ever talked to. I tried the 337 hand grade last for the Villier, and the last for the Skye. I ordered a Villiers and a Skye to try on in the store, promising I'd buy at least something! It turns out that you can special-order any shoe on any last - you just have to pay. So I can get the Skye on the 325 last that fits me so well. It costs like double including leather sole. So I'll see what fits. I can always get the brown Coniston (on the 325) which they have in stock now. If it had leather soles I'd have picked it up already, but it's got Dainite.....

She told me that in the last two weeks there have been a flurry of orders and even more inquiries for Skye, Villiers and Conistons. And brogued shoes. She couldn't understand this quick upsurge of interest. One gentleman knew his C & J size and just today ordered 2 Villiers, a Skye and a Coniston. One Villier he had made into a spectator boot with linen mixed with leather vamp. I told her that there's an internet group of boot nuts that like C & J footwear. There must be lots of lurkers here... I told her we started talking about brogued boots and etc. with lots of photos just about 2 weeks ago.

LOL!

Between this thread, SF and AAAC we probably - at least inadvertedly - generate a lot of business :D

Greg-

Please give us an update on those Cat's Paws. They look incredible-- you're very resourceful. A+

Cat's Paw photos from Rakuten and other Japanese sites,

but I still can't find any history or info...:

3.jpg

img42148284.jpg

img42148287.jpg

img42148289.jpg

batorizer----those are SICK!!!

i am getting a pair ASAP

nepenthes (engineered garments/needles) sells a boat shoe like that:

attachmentfo0.jpg

also, check out the boot:

arrmocdoubleringboot1ru4.jpg

click for more info

!!!

those are fukin awesome, any proxy can get ahold of thses for me?

Please give us an update on those Cat's Paws. They look incredible

It's one of those brands I seem to remember hearing about earlier in life. I know that Vibram has kicked their butt in the last 20 years or so with their extreme styles, quality, military sub-contracts and variety. I think Cat's Paw belong to an earlier era when things didn't have to be over the top, and were one of America's workwear staples. As a retro buff, I'm digging that of course. So tonight, a google turned up Cat's Paw mostly mostly on Japanese workwear repros, like Lone Wolf boots. This tells me something, because the good folks at Toyo Enterprises are world-class connoisseurs of Americana. So there's probably a very interesting story about those soles somewhere! Miz mentioned them to me too, so he might know something.

I think I have some vintage cowboy boots with Cat's Paw heels, need to go look.

We need a shaving thread! I've used a straight razor for a while now. Haven't had to waste money on razor refills in a long time.

I think I have some vintage cowboy boots with Cat's Paw heels, need to go look.

We need a shaving thread! I've used a straight razor for a while now. Haven't had to waste money on razor refills in a long time.

I am a DE user but yes, we need a thread. I'll let one of you SuFu regulars start it though :D

Leica and moykky and Tarmac - two questions about Trickers -

1. Do they come in an E width?

2. Where in the U.S. can I try them on?

I ask because I just got back from Crockett & Jones today here in NYC. The Skye brogued boots are too narrow for me! :( I'm gonna look into getting them made on the Coniston last, which fits me really well. But the Trickers are at least as good - if they'd fit me!

I believe certain trickers models come in widths, but very few are available in the US. You can try Stows on at Nom de Guerre, at least you could last year. But how much are they there? $500? $600? Insane. I got mine off ebay hehe. Guessed and got my right size.

I have normal to slightly wide feet, the trickers are a great fit for me. I wear 10.5 in almost all my sneakers, a few in 11. My Trickers size is 9.5.

stow2.jpg

Go to this page of Tricker’s at Pediwear. http://www.pediwear.co.uk/stock.php?range_ID=32

Look at the details for “Fittingsâ€. As noted in the earlier post, “5†is about a US D to D+. A “6†is your US E to E+. The GTX is a 6+, and is the fitting used on most boots with the commando sole. Also note the prices. Free shipping to US, also free of the VAT. As the cost is below $800, it is my understanding that no duty applies. They will also mark it as a commercial sample or gift, if asked nicely. Remember to ask for the free boot trees, too.

I think someone metioned that AS country boots are comparable to C&J- in which case they are pretty good.

I mentioned that and if I had some budgetary considerations I would go for AS without thinking much. Both AS and Trickers are benchmade fine English boots, its just Trickers cost 55 quid more and I am wondering whether its a just a brand or some other important factors that contribute to the price difference.

I handled Trickers in HK and their fitting 5 is a bit narrow for me, although I am fine in C&J E 325 and 335 lasts.

Viv, if you can talk to some retailers in the UK and share some other opinions please chime on in.

I believe certain trickers models come in widths, but very few are available in the US. ... I got mine off ebay hehe. Guessed and got my right size.

I have normal to slightly wide feet, the trickers are a great fit for me. I wear 10.5 in almost all my sneakers, a few in 11. My Trickers size is 9.5.

From a usual 10.5 to a 9.5 in Trickers purchased online, and they fit? Great guess!!!

I've only worn them a few times but they aren't that bad. Haven't really found a good pair of jeans that fits over the boot but isn't too "boot cut".

Try 5EP's resin or rigid low boot cut.