Phases in your jeans-wearing life

Guest Fade to Black

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Quote: don't worry, you've been reported to the proper authorities for your thought crime!

someone should revive the big brother/ dystopia stuff. Obey ruined it.

I've always been too cheap to afford the high end stuff. Vintage stuff for me and the occasional graphic, sneaks, and dry denim.

Quote: you know you gotta read plato's republic.

agreed. I had to spend some time with it before the chair of the philosophy department @ george mason u. came in and gave a lecture. Rene Descartes' Meditations is also something to look into. Boggling stuff.

--- Original message by amadoriv on Mar 29, 2006 01:00 PM

thought crime. hahahha

republic is insane man.. i mean, it makes you think so fucking much, it really isn't funny.

edge_of : possibly.. i dont know much abt the situation over up north.. but i'm sure you guys have alot more freedom than we do over here. there's so much fuckin censoring be it political, graphic, etc.. its just absurd. but yes, i know how it is with bush + whackers.. the bush whackers. oh man.

sorry..

sup flame.. where you at man? i just finished up with that army bullcrap. try to play a sport.. i did and i never went to camp. : ) no man, no problems with the older person entering in.. its good to hear someone support what the sheep of singapore are all stoked abt. being totalitarian is one issue.. what REALLY gets to me is the whole fuckin facade you know.. the shit abt being a democratic people. god, its SO fucked up. and how people just sue the shit out of others.. i mean. COME ON...... fuckin grow up man. like the dudes that sue REALLY need that pile of extra cash anyway..

btw, just a heads up.

SINGAPOREAN MINISTERS GET PAID MORE THAN ANY OTHER MINISTERS IN THE WORLD.. MORE THAN BUSH, MORE THAN GORE, MORE THAN THE BRITISH, ETC ETC. WE PAY HIGH TAXES ON ALCOHOL AND TOBACCO AND CARS.

btw, militay budgets are a fucking waste of money. some asshole should go around destroying all forms of military tech.. then we can go back to flint knives and rocks. FUCK YEAH!

punk me, bitch.

Hey Flame and trees... Amen to the words for its the only nation that has a MUTANT as a national symbol.

Sure, to some extent NS makes you a MAN, but it steals your mental freedom and creativeness. Fact is, we are all programmed... clones of a utopian state of mind.

I would love to spread my wings and fly away from this island nest... even our asian neighbors have more attractiveness than our Zurich of the East republik.

Quote:

Wow, it seems like a lot of you take (or took) clothes/fashion really, really seriously. That's a little scary.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 29, 2006 03:20 PM

Here's a little take from Miuccia Prada, whom I respect enormously.

“I realise how powerful and important clothes are...They have to be useful for your life, of course, but they must also express your individual sentiment...I’ve become impatient when people claim they don’t care about clothes. They still dress every morning, and if they are going to reject fashion, they still need clothes to show it. Style rebellion is still a form of self-expression.â€Â

This may not be baudrillard or plato, but i think she is a very intelligent person who thinks about fashion more than many designers might. The philosophy of fashion is merely part of the philosophy of art, and if you can die for your art, you can certainly take fashion and dressing seriously.

Again, from Prada, taken from GQ:

"With women, the more unhappy they are, the more undressed they are. This is true. Dignity’s another very important part of this. Sex and the City is the opposite of dignity. You have to have dignity for your body–this is with men and women. You need to have dignity towards how you are, how you dress, how you behave."

And i cannot agree more. We may dress ourselves based on impulses (whether that blazer feels or looks good, whether that pair of pants..etc) but that foundation of respecting the self should be retained.

FTB, great thread. I really like where this has gone.

Also thanks to backinthetrees re the whole living in singapore thing - it's really interesting to hear what it's like over there regarding freedom of expression and democratic rights etc (I'm a law student...). I'm from Australia, and the situation is far from being that extreme, but your posts remind me that there's definitely a potential for that limiting of freedoms here as well. Heavy stuff.

On the original question raised by FTB: I feel like I'm in this twilight zone with my jeans at the moment. I've just retired an old pair of RRDS that I rocked all the time for about a year, and I've got some new raws to break in (some Levis 505As and some Evisu 2000s, both from Tokyo), but I'm not really feeling either of them. I mean, I like them both, but not to the extent that I love them and could rock them every day without questioning it.

On the broader topic of being a slave to fashion VS getting back to basics: Yeah, I think maybe it's time for me to get a whole bunch of really well-fitting white Tees (so damn hard to find!!), and a pair of raws that I can rock every day. There's so much pressure to be rocking crazy fashionable stuff and to look "cool" everyday (especially at law school), it kinda drives me nuts sometimes. So I'm thinking it's time to get back to basics....

Anyways, sorry for the vent. Once again, great thread!

Keep the Funk alive

sup choice. not a problem. which part of oz are you at? i've got a quite a few friends all over your country. haha. nice place. love the pace.

i'm hoping i can do a degree in post-grad law in the future.. good stuff. well, i think the whole thing here is based pre-dominantly on our asian values, etc. like how everyone should conform for the good of society being the basis of existence, but thru the years, it has evolved to somewhat being a non-conformist might bring shame to the family.

funny side to this tho. see, i've got this mohawk on my head right.. and all the fuckers who laugh aren't the old people.... its the younger kids. people my age, till abt.. 35? i mean.. WHAT THE FUCK. the old people are real cool. like i've talked to so many older folks and my hair being the conversation starter.. which is so weird. after all, aren't the young 'uns supposed to be more open? its all fucking bullshit man. the older you grow, the wiser you become, and certain things just change when you reach that stage. thats when you realised that you've passed on your irrational ideologies to the younger ones.

it's alot to do with the asian values, i have to stress. not that they may be bad, but when it reaches the higher reaches of society.. the upper tier, (i'm not talking abt the aristocrats, but the structure of rule) then it really fucks up. come on man. we have a mentor minister.

now, i live here, but i have no idea what that is. or maybe i just cant say it cos i can't freely express myself and thoughts.

having been ranting and all, i'd like to say that i love my country enough to hate it.

wrt the fashion thing, i've always been into basics, flea mkt finds, etc.. and also, i'm not too wealthy.. my parents hate giving me money. and i hate working. hahaha.

peace.

punk me, bitch.

Quote:

Wow, it seems like a lot of you take (or took) clothes/fashion really, really seriously. That's a little scary.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 29, 2006 03:20 PM

well... i take how people perceive me very seriously. i may not wear the latest designer shit or 300$ jeans, but i feel the need to always look put together and to stand out. i would rather have people telling me i look like a model or some shit than to just look like a bum. but i think alot of it(for myself anyways) comes from insecurity. when i was younger, i was insecure about my looks , and would just hide under the "skater" uniform- baggy jeans and a xl logo tee. when i decided to make a change from that i noticed the compiments i was getting, and its kinda addicting. im better about it now, but it used to take me forever to get ready to go anywhere, even to the store to get dinner, because i had to look just right. the smallest imperfection was enough to make me change the whole outfit. try on 3 pairs of jeans, 4 shirts, a couple pairs of shoes, and then go out and be back home in 30 min. i was pretty obsessive about it.

no one even noticed the time and details except me.

so now im backing off a bit. if a tee has a stain, sometimes ill just turn it inside out. ive gotten rid of alot just to narrow down my choices. i basicly have 4 pairs of jeans, 3 or 4 tee shirts, maybe 2 vintage polos and a couple button ups, and i wanna keep it that way. ive actually made a personal rule, if i buy an item of clothing i will give away something similar, like trading one for the other. it not only keeps my closet uncluttered, but makes me really examine my purchases, and the motives behind them.

oh... this has to bee the most interesting thread ive seen here. thank you everyone who contributed, it seems many had alot to get off thier chest.

simplicity we use to survive, do what you doing properly, thats the way thru life

best thread in a long long time here, really like how it has evolved and it's good to notice their actually are some intelligent people on here!

about the original question of the thread: i rotate between 3 different pairs of jeans and two pantalon's when i go out. At home i live in my nudie rrds.

at backinthetrees: that's some heavy stuff man not being able to freely express your opinion and internet police etc. i knew singapore wasn't a true democracy but i never realised it was this bad. i think it's a bad thing that totalitarian regime's still exist in developed country's like singapore. i mean it's a bad thing in general but it should definetly not exist anymore in country's like that.

talking about this stuff, i really think it is terrible that country''s like ukrain and belarus are not able to get out of the russian control. The revolution in ukrain has been undone by the elections of last week and in belarus the election's where false. i think it is unacceptable that 2 european country's are not able do what their inhabitants want. those people want democracy etc. but in belarus they are ruled by a dictator and in ukrain they went back to their old situation because the changes were to slow after the revolution.

i come from a holland were the situation is completely the opposite. at the moment our society here is so tolerant about dangerous things like fascism and extremist islam that i has become a place where those ideologies are easy to spread. nothing is being done about it, and i think this approach isn't good either. Further more a lot of things in this country are staying where they are because everything is run by the people, and most of those people don't understand anything about politics, a lot of good thing's are not going to happen because of that.

but enough ranting about politics, about me style wise. being 17 means i can spent all the money i earn with small jobs on whatever i want so i do own quite a few designer items and high-end denims. but quality is always the thing that i hold in the highest esteem. i also do own 9 plain white no-brand well fitting white tees that cost nothing and i wear the shit out of my vans slip-ons. as said before i think balance in the way you spent your money on clothes is important. most important are basic items, whenever you are bored of a certain style you have had you can fall back on your basic wardrobe and start over from there. at home i usually just wear my nudies and a simple tee and sweater/hoodie, but when i'm going out i do care about the way i look but i don't spent a lot of time on it. i have a few basic outfits that always look good so when i can't decide i just go for those.

anyway i would vote for space on this site for politics etc. and keep posting, i'm looking forward to more views on the matters that have been discussed

cheers!

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

I seem to consistently remain in just one real phase - the classic one.

For me, I only wear the truly authentic jeans - either Levi's 501, or Wrangler 13MWZ. These are the real deal (especially the 501s) and everthing strikes me as being a mere knock-off. Color me weird, but I like AUTHENTIC.

I prefer the 1947 501 reissues, as the cut is excellent, but any modern 501 will do in a pinch. I also love the Wrangler as it offers the very cool, rear-pocket rivets. Retro, to say the least.

Another nifty plus on both of these particular jeans is the fact they were introduced at the same time - 1947. Granted, Levi's goes way back, but Wrangler hasn't done half-bad, itself.

As to the other classic standby - Lee - I find I don't like wearing them. The fit is funky, and I don't like the shape of those rear pockets.

Anyway, that's my take on the jeans-scene... cool thread, BTW.

Jim

Jim Cissell

Quote: Further more a lot of things in this country are staying where they are because everything is run by the people, and most of those people don't understand anything about politics, a lot of good thing's are not going to happen because of that.

Isn't that "democracy?" Isn't democracy suppose to be run by and for the people? Since when do "politicians" have the peoples best interests in mind? You say it sucks that totalitarian states exist, but the type of thinking of "most of those people don't understand anything about politics" is the very basis of everything totalitarian. While they may not know much about politics, I am sure they know what is best for them. Maybe that is why politics were created... to make people feel as if they can't make decisions for themselves. Of course it is a far step to becoming a dictatorship, but nevertheless at the heart of every dictator they think they are doing what is best for society.

Back to the topic at hand:

I am a big fan of classic cuts like the 501s, but I like the Nudies these days. In heaby rotation are my RRDS and SSDS, but every once in a while I will throw on my cane47s

i know what you mean and i should have formulated what i was trying to say differently. i meant: a lot of bad things in holland are happening because people vote for example at nasty attention seeking persons who with a lot of boasting are trying to convince people. a lot of people are stupid enough to buy into that stuff thus we got a government some 5 years ago that had a new big party in it with a leader that was trying to make live miserabel for all muslims. the guy was killed shortly after and a year after that there were new elections because the new party sucked and was not able to do what they promised. what i'm trying to say is: every now and then some idiot comes a long with a big mouth and he gets a lot of votes while he's a rascist. i think that's a very dangerous thing. but you are right in saying that a democracy is about letting the people descide. but i personally feel like this sometimes just doesn't work. but it still is far better than a totalitarian state and a dictator.

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

Quote:

Just a reminder:

Discussions of politics are not kosher on superfuture.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 31, 2006 03:31 PM

why dont you give us a place here to do it kid? i agree that when it gets down to name caling and racisim that it has no place here, but why cant we have intellegent discussions?

simplicity we use to survive, do what you doing properly, thats the way thru life

Edited by cheapmuthafukr on Apr 1, 2006 at 06:12 AM

I agree almost completely. And I think you have pointed out one of the flaws of democracy... especially large scale democracy. I mean for some reason a majority of people voted for an imbecile here in America the second time around. We all know what happened the first time around and Gore should've been president, but no, some people have to vote on wedge issues like abortion and gay marriage.

sometimes people feel that politics are all about robbery, hypocrisy and corruption, so it makes people sick to think about it. like, in some places, there's no hope for politics, so better to forget about it. we pay a lot of taxes for it to be taken care of. that's the case where I live. you don't feel like playing such a low-level game as politics.

im usually like that with all my clothes except for t shirts of course. i just buy a crapload of blank white or black ts. then i just wear the same pair of jeans, hoodie and shoes every day. im more about comfort. the rest of my stuff is more like back up if something gets too dirty or whatever.

yo backinthetrees, I'm from Melbourne in Aus. Yeah it's a great place; I mean it's got its flaws for sure, but we've got a lot of space, some pretty cool people, and a pretty decent system of government.

Dude you could do a lot of good as a lawyer. In Australia at least, you tend to find that lawyers have a pretty powerful position in society. They're the people who set the direction that society is heading in (not exclusively, but they're pretty important in that process). And so it's important to have lawyers with a strong social conscience, which you've got. You should go for it.

It's interesting what you said about young and old people's prejudices etc. It's funny how conservative young people can be (I think I still am a lot of the time) - I guess it's mainly through lack of life experience...young people still go very much on appearances (and I guess that's why we're all here really - the importance of fashion!). Everything's got it's plusses and minuses.

I agree with what has been said above. I think it's great that we can have a discussion about social systems etc in this forum, and I don't think there's a problem with it unless it degenerates into discriminatory mudflinging (racism, sexism, etc) - which it won't.

Peace y'all, keep up the stimulating conversation.

Keep the Funk alive

Edited by choice_genes on Apr 2, 2006 at 06:04 AM

Quote:

sometimes people feel that politics are all about robbery, hypocrisy and corruption, so it makes people sick to think about it. like, in some places, there's no hope for politics, so better to forget about it. we pay a lot of taxes for it to be taken care of. that's the case where I live. you don't feel like playing such a low-level game as politics.

--- Original message by Geowu on Apr 1, 2006 08:55 PM

agreed, but thats where everyone has to realize that no matter how small a role a person plays in society, the person still has a role..

so in order to function, regardless of government stylistics, people have to care and vote for a person who can make a difference. it's not fair that the percentage who chooses to close their eyes. it ends up with their country having an incompetent leader, its unfair to everyone, especially to those who voted. the better prospective leader, and in this day and age where all countries "support" one another in some way or another, its not fair to the world.

one has to question if their leaders have the nation's best interests at heart, or his/her own.

as plato mentioned in the republic, 'and so our properly good Guardian will have the following characteristics: a philosophic disposition, high spirits, speed and strength.'

the last 2 aren't as applicable in our modern day society as they were previously in our old civilisations, but still, a leader with a strong, healthy disposition can't be a bad thing, can it?

in the broadest sense of 'philosophic disposition', it maintains that we should be upright in morals, a keen sense of right and wrong, honesty, we could go on forever, but what is the point?

unfortunately, as politics have evolved to became a really fucked up game, nice guys dont always finish last, which is sad. which is why even the smallest pleb has a part to play. don't say you don';t care, because you don't have a choice. it affects you.

choice_genes:

melb is an awesome place with lots of really good viet food in the city. haha.

i'm just looking to be a lawyer, not sure if i want to practice. i'm thinking i might want to run in some sort of community service. as i've said before, i love my country that's why i hate it. and because i feel so strongly against it, there really isn't any point whining abt it over the internet, but to take a more constructive stand. then again, maybe i'll just go 'fuck it all' and move elsewhere. hahaha.

i fucked my a levels up, so i'm doing a degree in mass comms before doing my law degree.

and thanks for saying that i have a strong social conscience. i take that as a compliment.

Quote:

agreed, but thats where everyone has to realize that no matter how small a role a person plays in society, the person still has a role..

so in order to function, regardless of government stylistics, people have to care and vote for a person who can make a difference. it's not fair that the percentage who chooses to close their eyes. it ends up with their country having an incompetent leader, its unfair to everyone, especially to those who voted. the better prospective leader, and in this day and age where all countries "support" one another in some way or another, its not fair to the world.

one has to question if their leaders have the nation's best interests at heart, or his/her own.

as plato mentioned in the republic, 'and so our properly good Guardian will have the following characteristics: a philosophic disposition, high spirits, speed and strength.'

the last 2 aren't as applicable in our modern day society as they were previously in our old civilisations, but still, a leader with a strong, healthy disposition can't be a bad thing, can it?

in the broadest sense of 'philosophic disposition', it maintains that we should be upright in morals, a keen sense of right and wrong, honesty, we could go on forever, but what is the point?

unfortunately, as politics have evolved to became a really fucked up game, nice guys dont always finish last, which is sad. which is why even the smallest pleb has a part to play. don't say you don';t care, because you don't have a choice. it affects you.

choice_genes:

i'm just looking to be a lawyer, not sure if i want to practice. i'm thinking i might want to run in some sort of community service. as i've said before, i love my country that's why i hate it. and because i feel so strongly against it, there really isn't any point whining abt it over the internet, but to take a more constructive stand. then again, maybe i'll just go 'fuck it all' and move elsewhere. hahaha.

i fucked my a levels up, so i'm doing a degree in mass comms before doing my law degree.

and thanks for saying that i have a strong social conscience. i take that as a compliment.

yeah, the young vs old prejudices topic is really strange, which has to be elaborated on in the future.. but yeah, i get where you're coming from..

i doubt this particular thread, with the people currently participating, should see any forms of discrimination. encourage this thread. doing good for society is doing good for mankind.

peace you all. i mean it. : )

Quote:

choice_genes:

yeah, the young vs old prejudices topic is really strange, which has to be elaborated on in the future.. but yeah, i get where you're coming from..

i doubt this particular thread, with the people currently participating, should see any forms of discrimination. encourage this thread. doing good for society is doing good for mankind.

peace you all. i mean it. : )