• Right, beautiful_FrEak. The first time I read the blog post that was my interpretation. Then on the second reading I picked up this in the text [with a focus on faithfully replicating the “character”] and that caused me to question whether it was a full on replica job or more of a philosophical excursion, type of thing.  If it is a replica, then I find the level of wonkiness rather shocking. Makes me think people must have been pretty desperate to get a denim suit, in order to tolerate that level of slop. Of course I understand denim history fanatics of today being turned on by those elements. One thing I'm wondering about, I believe Lee (& Wrangler?) were making jeans & jackets in 1944. I've never heard anything about their products having the sloppy sewing element. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on that subject?  
    • Yet everybody (?!) on here loves and favours the more irregular denim which just replicates the imperfections of vintage denim. So we all justify to ourselves what we prefer (and that's what counts I guess). Is it because to sew badly is easy and to replicate imperfect denim is hard? We had this topic of the wonky stitching some weeks back but I didn't take part but here is my (obviously) biased view. When I started with raw denim and repros I favoured the perfect and neat stitching. I would have been disappointed to sew sloppy sewing for the price I paid. The first model I really noticed which featured the morey wonky stitchwork where the Real McCoys 003 and I didn't like it. Mainly because every pair was the same and the design of the errors wasn't very nice. I admit CSF started my interest in the badly sewn jeans. Everything was done on period correct machines and the errors were more natural and every pair was kinda different (if I see his newer stuff it's often pretty exaggerated and looks like a bad copy of his early work). From this point though I looked a bit different on sloppy sewing. I've got some old Denime stuff where the sewing is kinda sloppy but not on purpose and I am sure I would have been disappointed when I would have bought those in 2014 or so. Nowadays, I find it pretty neat and it's kinda my favourite part   Denime in the Orizzonti era as well had their WW2 pair with sloppy sewing (and thus it predates the Real McCoys pair I mentioned earlier) but here again: all errors are the same. Hayashi-san even went so far to replicate the same errors on his Resolute 714. And this feature I still don't like very much.  Why do I make an exception for Sugar Cane (and here is the justification part)? Because like I wrote earlier it's a 1:1 copy of an existing pair so kinda a perfect repro. Not a fantasy pair copied into oblivion like Denime, Resolute, Real McCoys, SDA or Full Count did in the past and do now.   
    • Exactly. Is there such thing as perfect wonkiness? Obviously not, and perfect repetition of the same mistake on different products kills the intent. Just like in jazz improvisation on a standard theme, perfect replication with note-to-note precision is impossible, it will be something new each time.
    • Couldn't have put it better myself.  Enough wonkiness,  l'm now looking forward to my non-wonky, straight stitched pre war FW tux. 
  • Benzak Denim Developers
    European denim and lifestyle brand from Amsterdam

Companion Denim
    Handcrafted denim from Barcelona

Dawson Denim
    British made selvedge workwear from Hove

Evisu
    Legendary Japanese denim brand

Ginew
    Native American-owned denim line

HINOYA
    Japanese denim and streetwear from Tokyo

Iron Heart
    Heavy duty denim

KOJIMA GENES x SF
    Japanese denim

Lone Flag
    Modern denim and menswear born in southern CA

• Tell a friend

Love superfuture® | Supertalk? Tell a friend!
  • hello 2024!

supertalk is free to browse as a guest. You need to be a member to participate in discussions or buy and sell on the classifieds.
    Classifieds listings are now free for members.
    supertalk is now upgraded to //// supertalk 8 ////
    You can also become a premium superseller or supermember. Businesses who want to promote their brand and products need to become a supersponsor. superfuture® is privately owned and has been online continuously for 25 years. supertalk has been online for 21 years and is a digital cockroach that will survive all current and future apocalypses.