My Baby-denim project

Blackplatano

I will be a father in a couple of months and i though it would be pretty cool if i started working on some new project jeans on the exact day my baby is born and wore them for a year (at least).

It would serve as a denimheads "journal of fatherhood", in a way. I also find it interesting to have some jeans that are exactly your kids age. In a way, the baby and the jeans will age together.

Now the question is, which jeans to break in?

They obviously have to be very durable.

Top notch construction/quality.

Fades great. ( it would defeat the purpose if they didn't change)

It also must add variety to my denim line up. I have some sorahikos, RRLs, A.P.C and possibly some black buzz rickson in the future. So it would be great if the jeans were LHT, slubby, Heavy, had a weird dying process,or something else etc...

So far I'm considering the:

Warehouse Duckdiggers 1920

Eternal 811

Pure blue japan xx-007 or xx-005.

Samurai (any jeans slubby and heavy with a nice cut or the lee repro)

the ideal cut is semi-slim with a hem between 8 and 8.5 inches.

What jeans do you think would be right for this?

Thanks

There's really no "right" choice. it is all up to you. My advice? if you're going to wear them hard for a solid year go with the eternals. but again, there are sort of so many different things that can point you towards what you want.

I'm open to other suggestions i didn't mentioned.

Like somebody said, the problem with PBJ is the durability. I definetly want a pair of jeans that's going to last and not rip in 8 months.

The problem with the Duckdiggers is that i don't know how they fade. Ringring loves the denim, but he doesn't say whether it's because it fades great or because it looks good raw but won't fade much (ex. streaky eternal 868 denim).

The eternal seems like a middle of the road pick that i can't go wrong with. But i wanted something a little different for variety.

The samurais are heavy and are made to fade, but construction is an issue from the pics i've seen.

what other jeans should i consider?

How tight is the weave on the duckdiggers?

when your child gets older are you gonna get them the kid samurais???

o you know what you should do? this may be easier said then done, but only have one pair of jeans a year. and then on your child's birthday each year you start a new pair. and start like a chronicle type thing.

if you want something durable with variety, why not a pair of Sugar Cane Okinawa? I'd stay away from Samurai. They look nice, but it seems like for Japanese jeans they lose a lot of indigo, and you might have to give the jeans a few unexpected washes as a father.

first off... congrats on becoming a father.

second... get the sam lees. they fit your criteria perfectly. also, they wont lose much indago in the many many washes youll have to do after getting shit on, pissed on, thrown up on, food spilt on, bled on, cried on, and all the other things that babys do.

get a pair for your baby to wear instead.

right...you want a newborn baby who can't walk, crawl or even wipe it's own butt to fade a pair of jeans?

A newborn that will outgrow any piece of clothing in a month? On top of that they don't make baby denim but regardless of that little fact, you want a baby to wear a pair of stiff raw denim every day?

I'm guessing you don't have any kids.

right...you want a newborn baby who can't walk, crawl or even wipe it's own butt to fade a pair of jeans?

A newborn that will outgrow any piece of clothing in a month? On top of that they don't make baby denim but regardless of that little fact, you want a baby to wear a pair of stiff raw denim every day?

I'm guessing you don't have any kids.

and im guessing you cant see a joke if it slapped you in the face. cool down...

oh, and a few companies (earnest sewn for example) do make baby denim.