motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

^^i think its cool to see a custom seat made out of some nice leather. like.. with sweet graphics and tooling and stuff. it adds a little touch of class to it. people might not notice it right away. idk :)

do you all know if there's a huge need for custom seats? i've got an offer to apprentice for a seat maker (leather seats) and i might take it, but it's very strange thinking i could make a career out of it. I'd need to learn carving and some pretty advanced braiding, but i think it might be a cool job

It seems like the kind of thing rich older white guys who just bought a Harley would lust over.

aceif5.jpg

blacktrump2tq5db5.jpg

I would die for one of the above bikes..

That said I will try to get my licence next summer and try to find an old "cheap" hardtailed triumph or harley.

Lars,

The first bike has a Flathead engine and the second is a Triumph, not sure which motor. Both have small tanks so you won't be going on any long drives without refilling all the time. Both will probably need moderate maintenance to keep them running so unless you're up to the challenge, i'd just suggest getting a newer bike with maybe a Shovel or Evo engine, or even a 70s early 80s Ironhead Sportster. You could pick up one of those for around $3000-4000, buy a service manual, and do all the work on your own.

It all depends on what you mean by cheap. Most guys that have old Flat, Knuckle, Pan, or Shovelhead bikes won't let them go cheap. I bought my '94 Springer for $8000, but that's because i'm in Hawaii. You could get an older bike for cheaper in real America.

Oh, and the one thing to remember about hardtail motorcycles, your back bone is the shock. The bike will hop around when you reach certain speeds on bad roads because there isn't anything on the bike to absorb road conditions.

But, with all that in mind, I still want an old bike too so good luck with finding one and let us know how it works out.

do you all know if there's a huge need for custom seats? i've got an offer to apprentice for a seat maker (leather seats) and i might take it, but it's very strange thinking i could make a career out of it. I'd need to learn carving and some pretty advanced braiding, but i think it might be a cool job

Jump on this opportunity. The wallets you make now will be chump change compared to what you can make on a custom seat. If you get really good and well known you could sell a seat for the same price as maybe 4-5 wallets.

With as many "custom chopper" companies out there there is enough of a need for custom seats. Plus, it's just another trade for you and there isn't anything wrong with that.

That price is madness. You could get a V-Strom or a Versys for that price. Cool looking bike though.

Yeah but it's the latest model so It's really expensive. State of the art with HISS, ABS and other more computerized goodies in it. Im planning to import one from Japan if funds permit. I doubt that anyone has this already in my country.

So far the latest CB400 I've seen here is the Hyper Vtech Spec III.

aceif5.jpg

blacktrump2tq5db5.jpg

I would die for one of the above bikes..

That said I will try to get my licence next summer and try to find an old "cheap" hardtailed triumph or harley.

If I ever buy a motorcycle, it will look something like this. I think this looks more badass than most modern bikes today. Wow.

Anyone from anywhere near Philly/Lehigh Valley area? Looking for some partners for a ride to Centralia, PA. That's the town where there's a massive underground coal fire burning for the past almost 50 years. Supposed to be pretty neat, and the ride looks like some nice twisties.

I mean, come on, does this sound great or what:

Centralia7.jpg

Lars,

The first bike has a Flathead engine and the second is a Triumph, not sure which motor. Both have small tanks so you won't be going on any long drives without refilling all the time. Both will probably need moderate maintenance to keep them running so unless you're up to the challenge, i'd just suggest getting a newer bike with maybe a Shovel or Evo engine, or even a 70s early 80s Ironhead Sportster. You could pick up one of those for around $3000-4000, buy a service manual, and do all the work on your own.

It all depends on what you mean by cheap. Most guys that have old Flat, Knuckle, Pan, or Shovelhead bikes won't let them go cheap. I bought my '94 Springer for $8000, but that's because i'm in Hawaii. You could get an older bike for cheaper in real America.

Oh, and the one thing to remember about hardtail motorcycles, your back bone is the shock. The bike will hop around when you reach certain speeds on bad roads because there isn't anything on the bike to absorb road conditions.

But, with all that in mind, I still want an old bike too so good luck with finding one and let us know how it works out.

For some reason the 750 flatheads pop up quite cheaply in sweden (where I live). Sometimes they are only like $500 - $1000 more than an old ironhead.

Knucks, pans and shovels are expensive though.

Old bonnevilles are about the same as an ironhead.

My friend used to have a hardtailed shovel (with a sprung seat) that he'd let me practice on sometimes, so I know what I am getting myself into.

I've also had an old swedish military motorcycle for around 10 years that have needed quite some attention to keep running. So that is not a turn off for me.

Swedish military mc. Notice the ugliest fork ever made:

mon962yi1.jpg

Bobbers are the new stretched out production chopper. Ask anyone.

Lars, the guys making bikes in Sweden, Norway, and other countries near the Arctic Circle make the best bikes, hands down. Most creative and outside of the box, some of that shit is crazy.

That old military bike does have a crazy front end. It makes sense but I don't even like it when shocks like that are visible on the back end of the bike. Cool bike nonetheless.