motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

I bought a Yamaha R6 a couple weeks ago because I was pissed off about paying $4 a gallon for gas and I absolutely love it! I had never ridden a street bike before and hadn't ridden dirt bikes in about 10 years but I picked it up fairly quick and am having a blast and saving bunches on gas (even though I ride pretty heavy on the throttle I still get about 50 mpg). It also breaks in your denimz much faster than driving.

buy a helmet, ride defensively, and have fun!

I ride a Honda cb400 Ver S.

Here's my baby.

Image005.jpg

sorry for the pic, I don't have a good camera.

Skistar, R6 is one hot bike. A friend of mine has one in yellow/black. Care to post some pics of your ride?

That's awesome Jimmy.

I'm looking to take the MSF course and get my license sometime next month. gas is ridiculous.

I have in mind a mid 1970s honda cb750 cafe conversion... mocked it up in photoshop to see what it'd look like:

cafe_small.gif

Wow, nice bikes everybody! Right now I've pretty much narrowed it down to a a kawasaki vulcan 500 or a suzuki boulevard s40 (savage 650) for my first bike. Ultimately I'd love to have a Triumph Bonneville, but something tells me I should work my way up to that.

Vulcan_500_LTD_1.jpg

Kawasaki Vulcan 500

2006-Suzuki-Boulevard-S40c-small.jpg

Suzuki Boulevard S40

Been to a bunch of dealerships, both bikes felt great. Just trying to come across a good deal on a used one. I think we'll be using Honda Rebels in the MSF course.

Wow, nice bikes everybody! Right now I've pretty much narrowed it down to a a kawasaki vulcan 500 or a suzuki boulevard s40 (savage 650) for my first bike. Ultimately I'd love to have a Triumph Bonneville, but something tells me I should work my way up to that.

Vulcan_500_LTD_1.jpg

Kawasaki Vulcan 500

2006-Suzuki-Boulevard-S40c-small.jpg

Suzuki Boulevard S40

Been to a bunch of dealerships, both bikes felt great. Just trying to come across a good deal on a used one. I think we'll be using Honda Rebels in the MSF course.

I know it's a bit more (several thousand $$$) but the Triumph Bonneville is a very reliable bike and you'll never sell it. It will become part of you. There is nothing like the ride or the sound of a British motorcycle.

triumph_bonneville.jpg

go with 3.5k cash in your hand and this bike is yours. very nice and good to learn on.

people will tell you that you will always drop your first bike. i dropped a scooter when i was 8 years old and rode probably 50 different bikes since then and nothing bad happened. just don't be stupid or drunk (or both) and you'll be fine.

Do you think the Bonneville would be alright to learn on though? I'd probably cry if I dropped it, haha.

On another note, there's a guy nearby selling a 2000 Kawasaki W650 with 1800 miles for 4k. It's not a Bonneville, but it sure is a beautiful bike.

01011201150701030420080614027d60baefdc4694fd00a4c5.jpg

When I bought my bike I had not been on one for almost 20 years. When I got back to my house we took it off the trailer, I jumped on it, rode across the drive way, locked up the front brake and dropped it. I broke the clutch handle off when I set the bike down and had to wait a week for a new one to be ordered. :o

I haven't dropped it since and the clutch handle was the only thing I hurt on the bike.

I would take Mike's advice. Take the $3500 cash and buy that bike if it's in good condition. If you have any friends that know something about bikes, take them with you so they can check all the inspection points for you.

im planning on taking the msf course next month. as for bikes im not really sure what would be better between for riding and its been a mix between a suzuki drz 400sm or sv 650. i already eliminated most sport bikes from my options.

I have in mind a mid 1970s honda cb750 cafe conversion... mocked it up in photoshop to see what it'd look like:

those are pretty heavy bikes. i had a dohc 750, the sohc is probably lighter. this is my current bike i just picked up. plan on totally taking it apart this winter. i ordered a powder coating kit and got a free oven. going to do the cafe thing to it.

72 cl350

05-14-2008.jpg

i don't have a motorcycle, buuuut i did see a couple scooters in this thread, and i have kind of a funny story.

2438065076_e5bd1e89ab.jpg

this is my 1979 indian moped. my friend jesse bought a grip of mopeds in various states of disrepair from some dude in indiana (legality status: dubious), thinking that he could fix them up and sell them at a profit. then he got overloaded with work, decided to become a model in new york, and realized he'd never have time to fix them by the end of the schoolyear. so, he sold them as-is for dirt cheap to friends to cover his losses. i got mine for a hundred bucks. it's at my friend jay's house for the summer, gettin' fixed up for free. my life is good.

i guess that's less of a funny story and more of a fuck yeah story. apologies if mopeds are a little too far away from the topic at hand, but maybe someone out there digs it. dino, i'm so jealous of your vespa. mod scooters are beautiful.

GS 500 here but I need to destickifiy the carbs (fuck carbs (0)). If I make some money soon I want a Kawi Versys. Dem shits ugly and functional as hell.

One time this lady knocked me off my bike, blabbered jesus at me for a bit, then idled along next to me while I pushed the bike down the side walk at night to the repair shop. I was wearing Nudies. It was kinda funny.

Im realy being affected by the high cost of gasoline in my counrty. My bike needs Shell V power and it's almost $1.50 a litter. This is fucking bad. Prices are projected to go high as $2 per litter in the comming weeks.

Should I sell the CB400 and get a Vespa LX or PX instead?

I can always get whatever vespa I decide to get have an "Alfie" colorscheme...

2438065076_e5bd1e89ab.jpg

nice ped... I need to take pics of mine (98 kinetic tfr). Its not bad looking but its slow as hell. I've derestricted the airbox, drilled out a couple baffles in the pipe, and upjetted but the top speed is still around 30 on the flats. The stock pipe is whats killing it- its just straight with a slicencer. Luckily I've got a new pipe with an expansion chamber in the mail, plus I'm going to be over-boring the carb and intake manifold once I get shit straight with my friend who owns a drill press. Hoping that will (and should) make it go 40...