motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

8375609743_cf7a81e180_z.jpg

This is my Grandads 1956 BSA D3, it was his first and then my Dad rode it when he was 17. After that it sat in Grandads garage for about 35 years. Lost my Grandad about 6 years ago, my Dad is now restoring his Norton and I'm slowly restoring this.. on a shoestring budget, I'll be keeping that patina.

Edited by thehuntersdaughter

Anyone own a Bell Moto 3? Any advice on sizing?

The prices on E-bay are absurd since they are 'in' right now. I wore one growing up when I rode dirt bikes and wanted one for nostalgia reasons. I wear a 7 1/2 hat+helmet normally and bought a 7 1/2 Bell Moto 3 on e-bay and its HUGE. No way the sizing is standard.....

11w7azc.jpg

Edited by englandmj7

Anyone own a Bell Moto 3? Any advice on sizing?

The prices on E-bay are absurd since they are 'in' right now. I wore one growing up when I rode dirt bikes and wanted one for nostalgia reasons. I wear a 7 1/2 hat+helmet normally and bought a 7 1/2 Bell Moto 3 on e-bay and its HUGE. No way the sizing is standard.....

11w7azc.jpg

Sizing advice? Buy the size that looks best on your shelf and then leave it there and buy a helmet that won't just act as a takeout container for your brain pudding when you stack it doing more than 11mph.

Edited by JackCrank

8375609743_cf7a81e180_z.jpg

This is my Grandads 1956 BSA D3, it was his first and then my Dad rode it when he was 17. After that it sat in Grandads garage for about 35 years. Lost my Grandad about 6 years ago, my Dad is now restoring his Norton and I'm slowly restoring this.. on a shoestring budget, I'll be keeping that patina.

Good on ya man. Got a build thread anywhere?

Sizing advice? Buy the size that looks best on your shelf and then leave it there and buy a helmet that won't just act as a takeout container for your brain pudding when you stack it doing more than 11mph.

Thanks for the entirely unhelpful commentary, mom. Really.

I am fully aware of motorycle helmet safety standards and the risks of 'vintage' helmets, however, that doesn't mean I want a helmet that doesn't fit, should I choose to wear it jerking off, riding unicycles, or otherwise.

gonnna go check out a 72 ironhead today... its salvaged tho, already registered til November, is this a big deal? also what should I be lookin for before buying one of these? has springer front (will include original forks), 21" front, 16 rear... already sitting pretty, with youtube vid proving it runs........................ edit, I bought itimage.jpg

Edited by Dex_star

Thanks for the entirely unhelpful commentary, mom. Really.

I am fully aware of motorycle helmet safety standards and the risks of 'vintage' helmets, however, that doesn't mean I want a helmet that doesn't fit, should I choose to wear it jerking off, riding unicycles, or otherwise.

Edited for being a dick even though it's already quoted.

Edited by JackCrank

gonnna go check out a 72 ironhead today... its salvaged tho, already registered til November, is this a big deal? also what should I be lookin for before buying one of these? has springer front (will include original forks), 21" front, 16 rear... already sitting pretty, with youtube vid proving it runs........................ edit, I bought itimage.jpg

Congrats man.

Ask dumbass questions, get dumbass answers.

What crawled up your ass?

I didn't ask for safety advice, I asked for helmet sizing. There happen to be some of us that like old bikes, leathers, helmets and all of the 'unsafe' and obsolete materials, mechanics, tires, etc that go along with them. There's no need for asinine commentary.

Edited by englandmj7

you probably drive a moped pussy

That was awesome. I'm proud of you!

What crawled up your ass?

I didn't ask for safety advice, I asked for helmet sizing. There happen to be some of us that like old bikes, leathers, helmets and all of the 'unsafe' and obsolete materials, mechanics, tires, etc that go along with them. There's no need for asinine commentary.

Taking a few days off it seems I have been a bit of a dick. Sorry about that. I've just been dealing with a lot of friends lately who are "into obsolete materials" who have broken hands or feet recently and gotten away very lucky. Look, I've run the new york city vintage motorcycle show for the last three years. I'm a founder of the motorcycle film festival. And when it comes to weird, old obsolete shit allow me to show you my bikes. I just don't see a reason to skimp on a helmet. You wanna skimp on gloves or pants or a jacket that's your business but a helmet is the one area where people should actually get something modern and protective.

A 1971 Yamaha DT1 Pre-reed valve 2 stroke.

8678810653_ca060b51c1_c.jpg

And a 1980 Yamaha XT500 with a 2001 dropped YZ125 front end, a 1990 YX600 Swingarm and supermoto wheels.

8659890239_0b474f9d93_z.jpg

And for what it's worth, I'm working with Vanson on developing a jacket that looks classic and but has actual working armor that doesn't fuck up the lines and I've brought up reissuing the moto 2 with a contact at bell helmets. Because I like to look like a kewl dewd too and I'd like my friends to be safe, I'm just not willing to need a machine to poop if I stack it.

Does that clarify what crawled up my ass?

Edited by JackCrank

• 1 month later...

just take those taiwanese springers out of them man. use the og forks. theyre better. watch out these overheat fast eh. put in an oil cooler and watch the jets.

yea now that Ive had the bike for a bit, I cant stand the springer... super wide and ugly... once i get some money gonna get some 2 over or 4 over telescopic forks.... already switched to big twin covered shocks (2 inches lower), big twin ducktail fender, panhead style clutch lever, aris rectangle headlight, dragbars (gonna switch to low z's soon), and added a cycle electric generator

next up is two stack two bullet tail light on the side mount license bracket, speedmasters, and mmmmaybe solo seat.... I'm kinda still diggin the seat in the pic now thats its mounted flush

Edit - WOAH is that your pan???

Edited by Dex_star

ya came wit a mikuni vm and crane cams-4 ignition - got it for a steal i thhink for 1500

dude your bike is sick as fuck, really dig that you got the floor boards on there... and bars and exhaust are damn nice

those cables though, haha

edit - btw, speak of the devil, noticed the spring guide on the springer sheared or something. The spring above the triple on one side is rattling around. def time for the og forks now

Edited by Dex_star

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no on the site. Some really nice bikes these past pages. That ironhead is super cool.

This is what I've been up to in the building season in my parents 3x3 meter garage..

The bike is a 1978 Lowrider.

I know the front brake hoses are too long, but can´t afford new ones at the moment.

How I bought it.

IMG_1724.jpg

After the rebuild.

bild6.JPG

Closeup of the paintjob that was a pain in the ass and nerv wrecking from start to finish.

IMG_2230.jpg

Edited by Lars

my honda zoomer (my first and only bike), plenty of modifications i have done myself in my parents' garage. i have never been into engines but i really like the work. it's 50cc but i cannot ride anything more than 125cc.

05.jpg

Edited by danii

• 3 weeks later...

it is the stock seat. looks pretty good and is mad comfy. ditch the seat cowl and bolts, save 1 lb lol

i was a fan of the street triple and had trouble deciding between that and my monster 696. if you like middleweight nakeds i'd look in to the mv agusta brutale 675, also runs a three cylinder

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/11/brutale-675.jpg