motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

I have a 2003 SV650 and it's my first bike. Pretty easy to ride. I was down to the SV and thea a friend's Ducati Monster S4. But, after a test ride the S4 scared the shit out of me. It was too much for me to handle, but I loved the look and went and tested the 695, and balked at the price tag.

In the end I made the write choice. But, I would recommend a 250 for a few months. Either a Ninja, or maybe a Buell. Those are fun as hell to ride, and you can learn quicker off of a lighter bike. No regrets though, I love my 650. I'll see if I can take some pictures tonight.

If you watch long way round/down, and see how many times Ewan 'lays his down' you'll see they survive pretty well. One could argue that they are designed for rough treatment. Besides, just buy what you wanna buy since it's your money.;)

They're well built bikes no doubt but they wouldn't even have dropped their bikes so much if they'd chosen more appropriate models to begin with. Something like a highly modded KLR 650 would have been way better. On that note, you can get really tricked out KLR's used for dirt fucking cheap.

www.advrider.com for all that stuff.

Here's a stencil I made, it's the first motorcycle I ever owned, 74 Yamaha RD200

web-6.jpg

Biginner bike?

look no further. The CB 400 Project Big one or Version R is your best bet. Inexpensive, parts readily available and a lot of ways to "mod" it. I saw some asshole with one the other day and he had dual underseat exhaust pipes on it. daayum!

jay,

the suzuki is haaawt!

He drives well.

The bike looks good, Im lovin the pharings on it.... The helmet, not so much, Shoei FTW!

So anyone of you see a maxi scoot in your future?

Something like the,

honda silverwing

swsmall.jpg

yamaha majesty

y6.jpg

suzuki skywave

DSC01618.jpg

Kymco Xciting

IMG_0272.jpg

I wonder where do you put the sliders on those? So if ever you drop it, you don't fuck it up as much.

deadpan,

from the adverts I saw they often drop it in the sand... So I reckon they wouldn't get much damaged like compared to say in the freeway or just plain concrete streets...

You really need to watch the DVDs to understand. They get dropped on concrete, road, rocks, sand, water, and in the first one a car driver rear ends Ewan on the freeway once they get to America.

edit:By sliders do you mean engine/crash bars? They go in the front protecting the cylinders.

You really need to watch the DVDs to understand. They get dropped on concrete, road, rocks, sand, water, and in the first one a car driver rear ends Ewan on the freeway once they get to America.

edit:By sliders do you mean engine/crash bars? They go in the front protecting the cylinders.

I guess so. They are the long elongated cylindrical plastic or metal things you put so if ever you lay it down, you won't fuck up the gas tank or the engine...

i will try to get me a dvd of that. cheers!

Dude not too far away is selling this '78 Honda CB550k with 19k miles for $1950 OBO.

2636537079_be6e0cdf6d.jpg

Seems a little expensive, what do you guys think?

if thats the actual bike in the picture, it looks like its been very well taken care of. Make sure to take a real close look at it. Put your hand on the engine when you get over there. If it's cold, see how it starts up. It shouldnt hesitate or stutter at all. If its warm, that would make me nervous, cause the guy probably warmed it up before you came over to hide start-up problems. Check the all the lines for dry rot (dry rotted rubber is a sure sign of a shitty owner) and look at the hard-to-reach parts of the engine casing and valves. If its nice and clean thats a good sign. Usually you can tell from the patina of the metal whether its been consistently cared for or just rush-cleaned before you showed up.

Even if it is in ace shape, 1950 is alot, even 1500 is a lot. I wouldnt pay more then 1200 bucks for that bike. No reason to over-pay, there are plenty of vintage beauties out there if thats your thing. Be patient.

Thank you for the advice guys! Here is what he had to say in his listing...

I'm selling a 1978 Honda CB 550 K (little brother to the great CB750) that I've done a mild Cafe conversion on. I bought the bike last fall and the previous owner had a bunch of work done to it within the last year and a half or so. It had a tune up, valve adjustment, new chain, tires, battery, seat cover, and aftermarket foam air filter.

When I bought it it was having difficulty starting so within the past month or two I completely dismantled and cleaned the carbs, and raised the slide needles one notch to compensate for the aftermarket filter. I installed new plugs, and adjusted the throttle and choke. I raised the forks 3/8" for a little quicker steering (can easily be put back to stock), installed black Clubman bars, black headlight brackets, a really nice black bar-end mirror, vintage NOS red Gran Turismo Italian grips (I have black ones if you don't like the red), "Power Levers", chrome/red bullet turn signals front and rear, and a new headlight bulb. The bike was in very good condition to begin with, but I spent a lot of time degreasing, cleaning and polishing the entire bike.

I have all of the parts to put the bike back to stock with the exception of the original 4 into 4 pipes. This would only take a couple of hours to do. I also have some extra parts to go with the bike: a stock tank and sidecovers (the same color as the bike, in excelent shape), seatpan and foam, and front and rear fenders.

The bike has 19K original miles, starts right up, idles fine, doesn't leak or smoke, and sounds mean with the aftermarket 4 into 2 pipes. It's a blast to ride and is very clean for a 30 year old bike. I have a clear title for it. I'm asking $1950 OBO for the bike and all the extras. Email with any ?'s, Thanks.

Seems promising. Dude is an hour and a half away and I haven't even a license yet, so I'm probably just teasing myself anyway. Was secretly hoping you guys would talk me out of it, haha.

^

Nice is that a Fire Storm or just a CBR750?

Dude not too far away is selling this '78 Honda CB550k with 19k miles for $1950 OBO.

2636537079_be6e0cdf6d.jpg

Seems a little expensive, what do you guys think?

I find it expensive. It's also an old model so parts might be hard to come by. Shop arround first if I were you.

My friend's 69 cl350 in front that we pulled the motor to replace the rings. In back is my 72 cl350, almost ready for the road. Nephew's 76 cb360 that would run if a previous owner didn't do a terrible job Kreeming it. He's supposed to be finding a new tank that we can por15.

bikes_garage.jpg

You mean VFR750? Looks like firestorm/rc51 to me?

whatever it is I like. by previous bike you mean you have something nicer now?

No, I was pertaining to the VTR1000 or the CBR750. But yeah firestorm seems to be on point.

I hope he did get something better like a CB1300 or CB400 bol d' or....

No. It's actually a small 150cc 2 stroke bike. NSR SP 150.

Haha i actually just sold it off recently. Looking forward to getting a ninja zx6r asap! But its quite pricey. Plus the gas prices. zz

2008-Kawasaki-NinjaZX-6Rd-small.jpg

daaayym! That got us fooled. The pharings seem to fucking big for a 150cc bike.

No hat but the nija looks off. Yes it's 600cc but the CB400 Hyper Vtech Spec III looks better and is more fuel efficient.

The single front disc is always a giveaway to the engine size...I wouldn't want to be riding anything close to 1000cc with one front disc:eek:

I didn't notice that.The pharings are too distracting. :D

^^what was crazy was the drivers around him...

yah they were giving those riders no room at all.. assholes :mad:

haha

do you all know if there's a huge need for custom seats? i've got an offer to apprentice for a seat maker (leather seats) and i might take it, but it's very strange thinking i could make a career out of it. I'd need to learn carving and some pretty advanced braiding, but i think it might be a cool job