Post your DUCKS!

riff

Alright, I don't know if we ever settled the canvas vs. duck debate. After looking at three fabrics somewhat closely it looks like, what I have labeled as "duck," seems to be a 2x2 plain weave 100% cotton fabric. This is a fabric made by cone (RoyXCone stuff) and the fabric on the Rising Sun ranch jacket. Another fabric I have, which is labeled as "canvas," appears to be a 1x2 plain weave fabric. They all have about the same weight, though.

^the only european stockist that comes to my mind right now is Iron Heart UK: http://www.ironheart.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=122 But that's no classic/vintage cotton duck...

Other nice brands without european dealer would be OOE Yofukuten, Warehouse / Duck Digger, Rising Sun, LVC, dunno about dickies or carhartt...

Rising sun does have folks in Europe that sell their stuff.

Cheers, none of those euro stockists sell online.

I can't figure out the rising sun website, how do you see what they are selling ?

Here's what Rising sun wrote me.

Hi there Florian, we only have two styles of cotton duck pants. One is our Worker model that isn't selvage and is $300. The other style is part of a project that we did for the Jeans of the Old West book release. These pants are made with a selvage canvas. You can see pictures of both of these in our blog. Search for "Workers" or "deadgrass" to find pictures of them. The Workers are a more traditional work pant fit, while the deadgrass duck pants have a slimmer fit.

• 2 weeks later...

reviving the ducks

just got this from mr. Tateno

size 36, but the actual waist is almost 32-33, weird sizing. At first I was afraid these would be too big for me, but apparently they fit fine after a wash.

5420178145_613b07fdc0_z.jpg

5420178149_77cd226602_z.jpg

cool pocket and coin(tool?) pocket

5420178151_7a4bf31f8e_z.jpg

the only thing that looks flawed is the stitching in the center of the buckleback. There are fibers popping out everywhere. There is some explanation on his website, but I don't understand clearly, maybe it's because of the nature of the fabric and the stitch.

5420178183_cb3c2f69f8_z.jpg

fit, my waist is about 31,5-32

KTH.jpg

reviving the ducks

just got this from mr. Tateno

size 36, but the actual waist is almost 32-33, weird sizing. At first I was afraid these would be too big for me, but apparently they fit fine after a wash.

cool pocket and coin(tool?) pocket

5420178151_7a4bf31f8e_z.jpg

]

Lovely item and pics.

This thread is great, illustrates a new diversity of denim and duck makers.

I can't wait to see more photos of the Cone indigo duck. Bleeds like a Mofo apparently. I think Raleigh are producing a ltd edition with the fabric, but I need to see more...

drz, are those prototypes? If not when were those sold? I love the split back and I wouldn't worry about those threads being loose at the split back, it looks like whoever made them bartacked right there as well.

It does look like the thread tension may not have been set correctly for some of the sewing. The top thread looks like orange, is the bottom thread white? It looks like some of it is peeking through on the cinch and some portions of the waistband.

Overall, very beautiful pair of pants and I would buy them if I knew how to get them.

same question .... i dont remember seeing ducks on e-workers monthly sales..... am i blind?

I just looked at past items on his list and they are from some time ago. Really beautiful. If I knew about Takashi at that time, I would have had to pick up both the denim version and the duck version.

duck version

edit: further reading he explains what is going on with what I thought looked like loose tension of the sewing machine. Why would I doubt Takashi? Somebody neg me please. Just kidding don't really neg me, but I deserve it.

I was talking with Ben at the Levis' flagship store here in SF yesterday and he thinks that the tailoring shop there is going to start small production runs of Duck jeans and hopes to be getting the Cone Indigo Duck to work with as well. I put in a plug for a Type 1 in duck also.

They are also building out more space for the LVC floor and should be carrying the seasonal stuff by about the end of March.

I also put in another push for a website solely for LVC, he said it had been talked over a few months ago but he hasn't heard anything since.

KTH.jpg

I would check the dimensions very carefully when buying any e-workers pants. The rise on these looks really low to me. I bought a pair of e-workers khakis. Everything about them--the fabric, the construction, etc.--is great. But they have a very small rise and are way too tight through the crotch, so I don't wear them very often. The only way to make them comfortable is to make them sit on my hips and then they feel like they will fall off.

drz, are those prototypes? If not when were those sold? I love the split back and I wouldn't worry about those threads being loose at the split back, it looks like whoever made them bartacked right there as well.

It does look like the thread tension may not have been set correctly for some of the sewing. The top thread looks like orange, is the bottom thread white? It looks like some of it is peeking through on the cinch and some portions of the waistband.

Overall, very beautiful pair of pants and I would buy them if I knew how to get them.

I think these pair is a leftover from his previous production. I saw these pair on his blog, I think this post http://eworkers.blogspot.com/2011/01/store-open.html (bottom pics) and asked Takashi about that pair and he said that he still got some stock. You should try to ask him about this, maybe there are more stocks lying around in his retail store.

And for the thread, he use white thread for the bottom thread only on the chainstitched part like the seam, hem and yoke. The white thing that you saw peeking in the waistband is the fiber popping out.

I would check the dimensions very carefully when buying any e-workers pants. The rise on these looks really low to me. I bought a pair of e-workers khakis. Everything about them--the fabric, the construction, etc.--is great. But they have a very small rise and are way too tight through the crotch, so I don't wear them very often. The only way to make them comfortable is to make them sit on my hips and then they feel like they will fall off.

yeah, these pair makes me confused as well. He said he only got size 36 left and I gamble with it since the size chart state that after wash they will shrink to 34 in waist and hoping I can shrink them more to somewhere in 33. But apparently the pair that I got measured 82cm/ approx 32 inch in the waist after wash.

now i really want Roy to make ducks on the Royxcone design ....

Oh man. That sounds like a winner. I'm in! You know, if it happens.

I was talking with Ben at the Levis' flagship store here in SF yesterday and he thinks that the tailoring shop there is going to start small production runs of Duck jeans and hopes to be getting the Cone Indigo Duck to work with as well. I put in a plug for a Type 1 in duck also.

They are also building out more space for the LVC floor and should be carrying the seasonal stuff by about the end of March.

I also put in another push for a website solely for LVC, he said it had been talked over a few months ago but he hasn't heard anything since.

That sounds cool. i wonder if the two other (and future) Levis' lifestyle stores (seems like their can be only one "flagship") in NY and LA will do the same. Any idea if they will only be available to in-store customers there in SF?

since the weather has been slightly above freezing here for a week or two I have had the chance to wear something lighter. I am finding that I no longer fit in what I had before winter. Its a shame, this wasn't easy to find. This jacket is practically water proof.

5425654394_f0def782f1_z.jpg

Been ploughing through this thread for some time, loving some of the stuff on here :D

Thought these might be of interest, some Ropers at a good price but in limited sizes:

http://www.theoriginalstore.co.uk/314-carhartt-roper-pants-heritage-collection.html

Sorry if they've been shared before, only halfway through the thread at the moment...