Post your DUCKS!

riff

These probably don't qualify as legit Duck pants, but they look a bit ducky and the price was pretty good:

Levi's pannel pants

front:

monday003.jpg

back:

monday004-1.jpg

cool little patch on the inside of the waistband:

monday005-1.jpg

buttons (a little nicer than the average 501 hardware):

monday007-1.jpg

Inside of the leg (the double knee is backed with the same material as the pocketbags:

monday009.jpg

I picked them up from my local Levi's store for 50% off the sale price, which ended up at $25 dollars. For the price, they seemed pretty good. The only real gripe I have about them is the low rise. Why do all the pants these days have to be worn at the hip? All I want is a pair of slim pants that go up to my waist so I can sit down without my shirt coming untucked :(

anyway, here's a link to them online if people are interested:http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4086256&cp=3146842.3146848.2067884

Got the definitive answer today from a fabrics expert.

They are similar fabrics, but duck is designed from the outset to be more watertight. Hence it's a tighter weave, altho in an identical configuration, and the yarn itself is spun tighter: the generally tighter construction means water is more likely to run off.

There is speculation about the derivation of the name, too. For another time...

Paul - damn! To continue the confusion, I found this snippet online, unsubstantiated, but it piqued my interest:

"Canvas and Duck are two different weaves. Both can come in varying weights, but Duck is a two by two weave, and Canvas is a flat weave. Canvas will always seem stiffer or 'boardier' in comparison because the weave allows a greater thread count. The '2B' weave in Duck allows for greater air circulation and was used for nautical clothing because it would dry out faster that Canvas."

Sounds quite different from what your fabric guy described, and I wish I knew the source...

Got the definitive answer today from a fabrics expert.

They are similar fabrics, but duck is designed from the outset to be more watertight. Hence it's a tighter weave, altho in an identical configuration, and the yarn itself is spun tighter: the generally tighter construction means water is more likely to run off.

There is speculation about the derivation of the name, too. For another time...

All hearsay!!! Expose your sources. I don't believe it. You been drinking by yourself again and interviewing imaginary denim weavers.

9800Y i believe

9800Y is the standard price, mine was actually 12600Y (even though I kept all the design options standard, I had it made slightly bigger than their standard size). Yeah, it really is beautiful, like most things it does look much better in the flesh = one very happy customer!

edit* (I was in Wien this time last year - so beautiful when the Christmas markets make their appearance)

theotherchrislewis that's a nice one, I got the same with custom zipper.

thats a beautiful bag; how big is it? do you have a picture where you are carrying the bag around?

I got the same bag, but with a standard small size they offer and I got some pics wearing them

DSC_1327.jpg

P1040093.jpg

I got myself soaking them last week and they seem don't shrink that much but the fabric gotten much softer and i like it

nice bag drz! Yeah, a zipper sounds like a smart idea.

Here are a couple of shots of me wearing mine: One small thing I've noticed is the nice detail on my strap is at the back (as feels uncomfortable to wear it on the other shoulder) so if anyone is planning to order one, take this into consideration! The colour is pretty true on these pics. (x-post from the Ooe Yofukuten & Co. thread)

chrisooe3.jpg

After only 3 days wear the indigo from my denim has started to rub off onto the bag, could turn out interesting over time..? Thought I'd also take some shots showing the cotton details, on the left is the a piece of thread straight off the bag. Center shows the 2 smaller threads which make up the first. Right shows the individual fibers. The final shot below I've focused on one strand in the foreground, which measured approx 22mm in length.

ooebag2.jpg

Those pics remind me how much I love my Left Field trousers. i wish the rise wasn't so low on them though.