Post your DUCKS!

riff

no shit? way to follow your passion.

Having a boring job like painting allowed me to spend countless hours thinking about early work wear theories. This also allowed me to go out to the desert anytime I wanted also, I think when something is your hobby you tend to hyper focus on your subject and you end up doing something that you want to do.

Some pictures of two vintage Boy Scout backpacks I have, both made of duck cloth.

Yucca Pack (l) and Day Pack ®. The yucca pack was near-deadstock; you can see that the day pack has lightened with use.

IMGP6989.JPG

The printed Boy Scout emblem on the day pack has stretched from a circle into an oval.

IMGP6991.JPG

Fabric is so tightly woven, water rolls off of it. Even after sixty-some years of existence. This stuff is not treated with wax or oil. Pretty impressive I think!

IMGP6999.JPG

Closure technology on the Day Pack. Not the most convenient, but it does the job.

IMGP6996.JPG

I use the Day Pack every day (so it's not just a clever name). Right now it has my work shoes in it. You can see a selvedge edge on the fabric there.

IMGP7023.JPG

The Yucca Pack is a member of the canoe pack family. It has an extra welt pocket on the closure flap. (This one also has some cat hair contributed by my two fat lazy cats).

IMGP7002.JPG

Another selvedge edge on the inside of the Yucca Pack's flap pocket. I know that selvedge isn't everything, but there is a little thrill when I find it "in the wild," so to speak. Plus seeing this makes me imagine a pair of pants made from this cloth, with selvedge outseams. Doesn't that sound great?

IMGP7003.JPG

The strap construction is really cool. I wonder why they used an eyelet, not a rivet?

IMGP7011.JPG

Attaching the strap to the bottom of the bag. A stamped brass clip. The hardware on both bags is a mixture of stamped brass and rolled / cast brass.

IMGP7012.JPG

Since I don't do much canoe-packing, the Yucca pack is just a storage unit right now--holding the rest of my vintage collection. The label for the company that made these bags is pretty cool. "Diamond Brand Canvas Craft."

IMGP7028.JPG

Water beading looks like Scotchguard. I've got old army gear that is fairly water resistant, but doesn't create that kind of surface tension. I had a buddy when I was a kid who was always going on about Scotchguard and isopropyl alcohol. He was a weird little nine year old.

I just ordered these from River Junction. They look enough like the beautiful, but expensive Rising Sun ducks (cinch, rear pocket shape, rivets just like the Carhartts above), for about 20% of the cost, that I had to give them a shot.

pictures and opinions when they arrive

I like those and for that price it's a great deal! That's a cool website also...

Don't buy anything from River Junction, ever.

I was aware of the 20% restocking fee at their discretion on refunds. What that actually means is that it's a mandatory fee. I'm willing to eat $30 (the 20% plus the $12 in shipping - for the $6 mailing cost they incurred and that I'll spend to get them back there) to get these the hell out of my home.

They look good enough. Not spectacular, but very nice for the price.

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

But I wouldn't buy these if I saw them for $3 in a thrift store.

The pocket bags are really thin.

DSC_0202.jpg

But who really cares about such a small detail.

How about the buttons. They're barely sewn on, and make a dime look thick.

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

(continued from previous page)

Those thin buttons are pretty sharp, and are likely to shred through the badly sewn buttonholes before too long.

DSC_0216.jpg

Worst of all is the weight. They felt pretty light right out of the envelope (yep, they didn't even use a box), but I didn't expect them to be this thin.

DSC_0207.jpg

They're pure garbage. I hope that, by posting this, none of you will ever feel the need to buy from River Junction.

Looks like your duck hunting isn't going very well lately. Sorry man. I think River Junction does sell patterns though. Right? Would be interesting to find some decent fabric and make a pair or have someone make a pair for you.

They weigh next to nothing and feel like paper, so even if they frill out a bit, they're not going to get any thicker/heavier/better, and the bad sewing and buttons aren't going to improve. These are already on their way back, but I would have felt better burning them and posting the video.

At this point, I'm just buying some standard Dickies or Carhartts locally and be satisfied for now. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

sorry to hear about your shitty experience with river junction but thanks to you and the internet noone on here wil make that purchase again.

dont know if it was already metioned but warehouse also has a duck version out of the whiskey cat jeans

34804_0.jpg

34804_5.jpg