Post your DUCKS!

riff

I'll post some photos of the ones from Orvis Rising Sun ducks when I get the new ones. I ordered a pair based on the sizing advice Rising Sun gave me before Orvis had them in stock and when they arrived they were way too big so I sent them back and ordered a size smaller.

...just to give you all some first impressions, they are really nice, well built pants for sure. Definitely some nice details like these little leather pieces(look like leather spacers) underneath the rivets, indigo dyed fabric on the inside waistband and backside of the cinch buckle on the rear, some heavy duty canvas lining the inside of the backpockets, the rivets appear to be finished by hand and are all rising sun branded, and some really nice ornate wreath and star details on the crotch buttons. They seem to be a low rise pant which is definitely not something I was expecting and the legs seem a little baggy (even for a guy like me who had big muscular legs). Again, this is initially based on a waist size that was too big for me but I think it's fair to say the same will be true when the size that fits me arrives. The distressing isn't overdone with the small exception of a couple of quarter sized spots where it looks like they took a wire brush to a small area on the pocket to raise the nap a bit. It's not my favorite, but it's not obvious and considering how much cheaper the worn version is from Orvis than the raw version directly from RS I can live with it and pocket the savings for my next pair of denim. I'm fairly certain that with a little wear to the areas around it in time it will look even less obvious as the weave gets worn across the whole pant. The photos of the fading from the Orvis website make the fades appear to be a little more obvious then they actually are. The photos Slab posted from Rakuten seem a little more true to what they actually look like.

...as for sizing, I was told the wash process for the Orvis batch shrunk them down to roughly true to size but the pair I ordered was a full 2 inches larger than tag size which was way too big as the size I ordered was a 40 with 39 being my true waist. The Orvis pair measured 40 laying flat but the fabric had a fair amount of give when pulled - enough that I literally could walk a few feet and the pants would slide off my hips....so I went to a 38(want these to be a comfortable pair of true work pants).

....also I think someone mentioned that on the Oris site it states these are made in China. For some odd reason there is a Made in China tag on the inside of the jean. It looks like it was sewed in after the fact as it is in black stitching that is present no where else on the garment. Not sure why that is - the outer tag says Made in USA and has sizing hand written on it. Also - there are obviously some hand finished details through the construction of the pant that you don't normally think of when you think "Chinese factory". If I had to take a guess as to why that is, I would guess they were hand made in Pasadena then sent to China for the distressing and from there were forwarded back to Rising Sun for QC and then to Orvis. That might also explain some of the delays they have had in getting the full stock at Orvis (some Chinese holidays are coming up too so production is all the more backed up). That's just a guess but that's the only logical reason I can come up with as to why a Made in China tag appears on this thing.

...anyway, I'll post some more detailed photos/fit pics when I get my correct fitting pair in later this week.

the China bit makes sense on the "finish" part, as I'm sure it's illegal to use the chemicals / waste they use to do it in California...

Isn't they're whole thing Made in America?

Isn't they're whole thing Made in America?

I would call and ask them directly what was going on with that. Makes me mad to think they would mail pants to China to have them distressed. I know that there are domestic companies that can do the same thing if it has to be done. Boo for Rising Sun. But somebody look into that yeah?:D

I would call and ask them directly what was going on with that. Makes me mad to think they would mail pants to China to have them distressed. I know that there are domestic companies that can do the same thing if it has to be done. Boo for Rising Sun. But somebody look into that yeah?:D

LVC does it in the US...right down the street in Vernon CA.

About those rising sun pants. i wouldnt doubt that they were made in china. when i saw the price tag on those orvis pants I was surprised. It is just too expensive to make those pants in pasadena and charge what it was on the orvis site. I would assume that the ones bought in pasadena are actually made in pasadena.

Rising sun is known for being crazy expensive and then splitting revenue with orvis would make it more expensive.

I'll post some photos of the ones from Orvis Rising Sun ducks when I get the new ones. I ordered a pair based on the sizing advice Rising Sun gave me before Orvis had them in stock and when they arrived they were way too big so I sent them back and ordered a size smaller.

...just to give you all some first impressions, they are really nice, well built pants for sure. Definitely some nice details like these little leather pieces(look like leather spacers) underneath the rivets, indigo dyed fabric on the inside waistband and backside of the cinch buckle on the rear, some heavy duty canvas lining the inside of the backpockets, the rivets appear to be finished by hand and are all rising sun branded, and some really nice ornate wreath and star details on the crotch buttons. They seem to be a low rise pant which is definitely not something I was expecting and the legs seem a little baggy (even for a guy like me who had big muscular legs). Again, this is initially based on a waist size that was too big for me but I think it's fair to say the same will be true when the size that fits me arrives. The distressing isn't overdone with the small exception of a couple of quarter sized spots where it looks like they took a wire brush to a small area on the pocket to raise the nap a bit. It's not my favorite, but it's not obvious and considering how much cheaper the worn version is from Orvis than the raw version directly from RS I can live with it and pocket the savings for my next pair of denim. I'm fairly certain that with a little wear to the areas around it in time it will look even less obvious as the weave gets worn across the whole pant. The photos of the fading from the Orvis website make the fades appear to be a little more obvious then they actually are. The photos Slab posted from Rakuten seem a little more true to what they actually look like.

...as for sizing, I was told the wash process for the Orvis batch shrunk them down to roughly true to size but the pair I ordered was a full 2 inches larger than tag size which was way too big as the size I ordered was a 40 with 39 being my true waist. The Orvis pair measured 40 laying flat but the fabric had a fair amount of give when pulled - enough that I literally could walk a few feet and the pants would slide off my hips....so I went to a 38(want these to be a comfortable pair of true work pants).

....also I think someone mentioned that on the Oris site it states these are made in China. For some odd reason there is a Made in China tag on the inside of the jean. It looks like it was sewed in after the fact as it is in black stitching that is present no where else on the garment. Not sure why that is - the outer tag says Made in USA and has sizing hand written on it. Also - there are obviously some hand finished details through the construction of the pant that you don't normally think of when you think "Chinese factory". If I had to take a guess as to why that is, I would guess they were hand made in Pasadena then sent to China for the distressing and from there were forwarded back to Rising Sun for QC and then to Orvis. That might also explain some of the delays they have had in getting the full stock at Orvis (some Chinese holidays are coming up too so production is all the more backed up). That's just a guess but that's the only logical reason I can come up with as to why a Made in China tag appears on this thing.

...anyway, I'll post some more detailed photos/fit pics when I get my correct fitting pair in later this week.

Back to this, cuz I was really curious. I didn't think Rising Sun really had the resources or the want to produce stuff in china. I am going back on what I said before and assume that what happened here is this:

1. Rising Sun built the pants with the Made in USA logo in Pasadena

2. Sent the pants to Orvis

3. Orvis had the pants washed in china.

4. Orvis actually sews the tag on that says Made in China.

I was led to believe that the tag was sewn on by Orvis by someone.

pretty much right on - though no discussion of the wash or where it was done

from rising sun's site

There is a rumor going around that the pants we created for Orvis were made in China, so we’d like to set the story straight.

First things first, anything with the Rising Sun name on it is completely made in the USA. Everything is made in our shop in Pasadena, except some of the t-shirts are made elsewhere in Los Angeles. The Miner pants we made for Orvis received their well-worn wash from a laundry in Downtown LA as well.

We contacted Orvis as soon as we heard that people were questioning our production, and confirmed that there was a label added without our permission which has “Made in China” on it. Apparently there was some confusion at their distribution center, and someone made a decision to sew these labels in without asking anyone because we did not have a care label. When Orvis had first received the pants and asked us about care instructions, we sent them a stamp and ink kit to place on the inside pocket of the pants with care instructions and at the bottom of the stamp it says “Made in USA”. We even made a video to instruct how to stamp these correctly, which you can view here http://vimeo.com/15472815 but I guess it was never clearly communicated that this would take the place of a care label.

Here is what Orvis has told us regarding the situation:

“This morning we have asked our customer service operations to call all customers that have been sent the pant and explain personally the error of inserting this label. We debated issuing a recall, but figure a personal phone call will be a better solution and more personal. Our Supervisor of customer relations, Chris Andrews and her team will be calling customers.

Orvis is very distressed and upset that we spent so much money and energy promoting USA and a low level associate was not properly supervised and this situation ensued. Unfortunately our Distribution center is in Virginia and we are here in Vermont, so communications occasionally get garbled. I clearly asked for the stamp to be used; but an official in Virginia sent the shipment to an outside service with out clarifying with us here in Vermont.”

Hopefully this clears things up, as Rising Sun is very proud of being American Made, and we know our customers trust us because we take the extra time to put out the best quality garments we can.

Hell yeah. My faith has been restored!!! Still loving rising sun stuff.

water and a teaspoon of all natural, biodeg. soap. If you dont add some sort of soap the water will not soak into the fabric, it is really water resistant. it was found in the desert.......

Can't wait to see more pics. Love the history (whatever that may be) hidden in a piece like that. I never would have imagined a need for a duck blouse of all things. What's all that in the upper left of the photo? Are you going to try and piece it together??

Sansome, what's your profession? I don't feel like reading a lot.

no shit? way to follow your passion.