Post your DUCKS!

riff

im curious now, whats the technical difference?

I will say that after being curious about the canvas vs. cotton duck I have looked at my left fields which are called canvas and my carhartts and ROYs which are labeled cotton duck. They look identical in weave, but the cotton ducks have a much tighter weave. The left field look a bit looser.

Maybe Paul T can flex some of those connections and try to get an answer from some of those dudes at cone... Hint... Hint.

Some pics of the ole ROYs yesterday.

waywtd2010529.jpg

i sorta wish i was getting brown ducks instead of the black canvas ones. im so conflicted

What the hell, Rnr, suddenly you are no longer a No Face person? What's the occasion?

I like it.

Ducks looking good. They been getting any wear?

Tons of wear. At least 5 times a week.

About the face. I think I was too lazy to select the paint brush and throw a smear over the face.

This might be a bit OT for this thread, but it's still the most appropriate place, I reckon - if I'm wrong, tell me, and I'll post elsewhere.

I've been checking out some Heritage Research jackets - these are parkas or navy-style smocks etc made from Millerain cotton.

Here's the Parka, stocked at Present on Shoredith High St:

heritageresearch2.jpg

Heritage research are here: check out this mountain jacket, based on a US navy smock. Some lovely hickory stripe bags, etc - expensive, though. Millerain cotton is here ; they make waxed cottons, a la Belstaff or Barbour, as well as military canvases etc. Really beautiful stuff.

Not the best fit pics. Apologies for the warped color on some of these pics-- too lazy to fix, but you get the idea. I picked these up directly from the Raleigh Denim shop in downtown Raleigh. Victor & Sarah are incredibly nice people. I bought these at a special price as there were only a few left on their shelf. Diggin' the details (I am a fan of RD denim), especially the red chainstitch hem. These guys are super soft and you can see the texture of the fabric close-up... needless to say, I'm very happy with these.

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7747.jpg

IMG_7748.jpg

IMG_7750.jpg

IMG_7752.jpg

IMG_7753.jpg

do they have a website? and what price?

lefty's post links to the Selectism article with a link to Bows + Arrows, which a great little e-shop. The Raleigh Denim website lists stockists, but they don't have an online shop themselves. They're happy to sell you jeans if you swing by to visit, but I'd shoot them an email inquiry. A bit of fair warning-- they may not respond for a few days so don't lose patience. Victor mentioned that sometimes they will mark down some of the items based on quantity and such. That being said, I didn't pay the full $275 that these are priced at-- mainly because they literally had a handful of last season's Warren canvas pants in stock. Good luck!

I'm impressed with FSC's canvas pants from what I've seen of them-- I can't speak to the material itself since I've never held them in person, but the price point is very good, and they have a good reputation for quality. Those may be my next purchase.

I believe the fsc's are made of the same fabric that those raleighs are made of. They probably aren't as soft because this fabric is very stiff when unwashed.

Nice lookin pants by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
bobo: is there a difference between the JP ones and the ones on filson.com?

well, i ordered reg. US filson so i cant be 100% sure, but as far as I know, there only is the reg US filson and filson italy, the latter showing up a lot on jp sites. The tin pants has been a part of the us line for like 50 years or so as I understand it.

well, i ordered reg. US filson so i cant be 100% sure, but as far as I know, there only is the reg US filson and filson italy, the latter showing up a lot on jp sites. The tin pants has been a part of the us line for like 50 years or so as I understand it.

Looking forward to fit pics! :)

Levi's 1873 cotton duck on sale at oki ni. £90. A total bargain - these are gorgeous pants. Still have 32/32 in. Looks like the new run with the new fabric to me. Buy your actual size - my experience is this fabric doesn't shrink..

LVC 1893 at Oki Ni. Buy them all now so I can sleep.

THey have the 1920s striped Sunset shirt on sale, too

rnrswitch, they seem to imply that canvas is duck that's been treated with wax. Another possibility! Hilarious, when there's a levi's release somewhere, pointing out how the legend that their early pants were made from canvas is just that, a legend, and untrue...

Edit IT's worth pointing out that oki-ni generally ship to the US, too.

Levi's 1873 cotton duck on sale at oki ni. £90. A total bargain - these are gorgeous pants. Still have 32/32 in. Looks like the new run with the new fabric to me. Buy your actual size - my experience is this fabric doesn't shrink..

LVC 1893 at Oki Ni. Buy them all now so I can sleep.

THey have the 1920s striped Sunset shirt on sale, too

rnrswitch, they seem to imply that canvas is duck that's been treated with wax. Another possibility! Hilarious, when there's a levi's release somewhere, pointing out how the legend that their early pants were made from canvas is just that, a legend, and untrue...

Edit IT's worth pointing out that oki-ni generally ship to the US, too.

You know I gotta save money for other ventures, why are you tempting me? I really like that striped shirt.

So duck may have some water resistant qualities?

You know I gotta save money for other ventures, why are you tempting me? I really like that striped shirt.

So duck may have some water resistant qualities?

That's part of the ethos. Items like the early duck hunting jackets have little leather washers, like a seal, under the rivets to prevent water seeping in.