Post your DUCKS!

riff

Hey mr duck, info on sizing/shrinking? i wonder if i could get away with 34x34 from cultizm, or if those would be too short after washing.

Shrinkage after first 40 degree wash with the new Cone duck is around 3%.

Update after 2nd wash at 50deg: Shrinkage is still minimal. Initial 23 3/4 chest is now 23 inches. 22 1/4 arm length is now 21 3/4.

So, only 3% shrinkage in total.

So is it safe to say cotton duck, canvas, khaki and chino are pretty much the same thing in terms of structure (the weave) and colour (beige) but only different in the thickness/weight?

So is it safe to say cotton duck, canvas, khaki and chino are pretty much the same thing in terms of structure (the weave) and colour (beige) but only different in the thickness/weight?

Khaki and chinos are typically a twill weave 2x1 or 3x1, I believe. I still see canvas and cotton duck be used interchangeably, although cotton duck may just be a term used for heavier canvas, but I have still seen fabrics for upholstery advertised as 17oz canvas, which seems like if it was by weight alone that would be called cotton duck.

From the wiki:

Cotton duck

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to:navigation, search

Cotton duck (from Dutch doek,"linen canvas"), also simply duck, sometimes duck cloth or duck canvas, commonly called "canvas" outside of the textile industry, is a heavy, plain woven cotton fabric. There is also linen duck, which is less often used.

Duck is used in a wide range of applications, from sneakers to over tents to sandbags.

Duck fabric is woven with 2 yarns together in the warp and a single yarn in the weft.[citation needed]

Duck cloth is commonly used for the 6x6 inch corn filled bags for the tossing game Cornhole.

[edit] Classification

Duck is classified according to weight in a numerical system, with grade 1 the heaviest and grade 12 the lightest variety. Besides this, traditional names exist, which are rarely used today.

A numbering system is used to describe the various weights of duck cloth, based on the weight of a 36x22-inch piece. Weights below 19 ounces are called numbered duck; those above 19 ounces are called naught duck.

Numbered duck is nominally made in weights from 1 to 12, but numbers 7, 9, and 11 are no longer used. Some typical uses of various weights are:

* #1: hammocks, sand bags

* #2: hatch paulins

* #4: sea bags

* #6: large boat covers

* #8: clothes bags

* #10: shower curtains

Here are some requested fitpics on the FSC's

P1030894edit.jpg

PSA: I emailed FSC to find out about the status of their ducks-

We only have size 33's in stock -

If you measure the waist the exact measurement is 35 inches .The rise

measures at 11 and a half inches and the inseam comes to 34 inches.

They retail at a lovely $129.

[/Quote]

Bummer! If they had some in 30 or 31 I'd be all over it.

Not enough action recently on my new favourite thread.

Today I noticed you can buy cotton duck suspenders and also Cotton Duck, one pocket 1890-style pants for $59.95 from RIver Junction. Please someone, buy these pants and post the pics!

Let me just say that those "cotton duck" suspenders are labeled as canvas suspenders, so, it would seem that even you do not believe your "cotton duck is not canvas" propaganda.

Let me just say that those "cotton duck" suspenders are labeled as canvas suspenders, so, it would seem that even you do not believe your "cotton duck is not canvas" propaganda.

Oi! Cheeky!

Levi's themselves have always been keen to point out that the rumour that the youth overalls in their archives were made from canvas is incorrect - they state that they are made from cotton duck. By that, I guess they mean that for their purposes the two essentially similar fabrics are different weights.

As for the suspenders, I thought they were close enough for people in this thread to dig; I didn't realise there were wikipedia-schooled experts who seem, despite their new social 'connections', to have too much time on their hands.

Oi! Cheeky!

Levi's themselves have always been keen to point out that the rumour that the youth overalls in their archives were made from canvas is incorrect - they state that they are made from cotton duck. By that, I guess they mean that for their purposes the two essentially similar fabrics are different weights.

As for the suspenders, I thought they were close enough for people in this thread to dig; I didn't realise there were wikipedia-schooled experts who seem, despite their new social 'connections', to have too much time on their hands.

Levis is starting to clog your brain and make you not think straight. Maybe you need some ROY jeans to set you back on track.

Maybe you need some ROY jeans to set you back on track.

Typical of the rampant consumerism that plagues this board. Every problem can be solved with another purchase.

What about those in the under-paid, under-appreciated creative industries forced to sell their hard-won jeans to feed their families, how do you think they feel, with their noses pressed against this virtual shop window, while the wealthy sashay in and out bragging about their purchases????

Wiki to the rescue

Duck is classified according to weight in a numerical system, with grade 1 the heaviest and grade 12 the lightest variety. Besides this, traditional names exist, which are rarely used today.

A numbering system is used to describe the various weights of duck cloth, based on the weight of a 36x22-inch piece. Weights below 19 ounces are called numbered duck; those above 19 ounces are called naught duck.

Wiki to the rescue

Oh no, another one of those wiki educated classes of people.

The main argument is between whether or not canvas and duck are technically the same thing, but cotton duck being a sub category of canvas, which is a heavier canvas.

Paul T seems to err on the side of Levis whenever an issue comes along. He is working on a new book called, "The Tao of Levis" and the subtitle is, "Or How Levis Guides My Life and Warps My Mind."

All kidding aside, I wonder if "cotton duck" is a term coined by Levis.

I think everybody interested in this argument should read the wikipedia page on cotton duck.

Aso, thanks for the assist. But whenever a subject is complex, wikipedia nearly always gets it wrong, or repeats ancient, discredited wisdom.

All kidding aside, I wonder why the one man who should know the truth on this issue is so conspicuously absent? What can he be doing that is more important than our always-enlightening repartée?

Yeah, him and RingRing.

Typical of the rampant consumerism that plagues this board. Every problem can be solved with another purchase.

What about those in the under-paid, under-appreciated creative industries forced to sell their hard-won jeans to feed their families, how do you think they feel, with their noses pressed against this virtual shop window, while the wealthy sashay in and out bragging about their purchases????

And also, don't be callin me the consumerist. I am the anti-consumerist consumerist, uhh, or maybe the anit-consumption consumptionist, or maybe better yet, I am the guy who buys things to tell other people not to buy things, yeah. That's it. I am TOTALLY lookin out for you guys.

my left field black ducks will be here soon. my browns were too large but this thread needs some darkness

After clogging up the thread with back and forth. I will attempt to contribute this evening with my small collection.

Despite the bemoaned lack of pics, this thread is in fact most amusing.

Nice ducks riff. Left Field?

Thanks oboy_oboy! Yep - LF's. After giving up on ever finding a pair, I scored them a few weeks ago from a colleague at the office :)

Thanks oboy_oboy! Yep - LF's. After giving up on ever finding a pair, I scored them a few weeks ago from a colleague at the office :)

Let us not forget that those lf's are considered canvas. I would hate for them to clog up the cotton duck thread.