Tender Co. Denim

braille_teeth

It's called "Lambswool Rolled Edge Crew Neck Pullover".

So far I've seen it in Ecru, Logwood, navy and the new yellow color but I've seen Kroll wear a woad version a few pages back.

I think we have a couple at BlackBlue. I know there's a turtle neck in woad. they are amazing.

^Jason, amazing! Thank you for posting. One of my favourite outfits I've seen. Cool watch too, and great brand to get into.

^^^^^wgmds, cool and thank you! Let us know how you get on, I'd love to see them.

Bytes & Gnomes, very glad you like the pullover. The moss stitch gives it really nice thickness without being at all heavy. I'm afraid no shops ordered the crew neck in woad, although a bunch of shop staff sent in personal orders (ironically). I do have one in stock but it's on hold for a customer. If either of you are interested please email me and I'll let you know if it becomes available.

Sorry for the lack of posts in the last week or so, I've been crazy busy getting various things together, as well as quite a lot of teaching at the moment. Here are some pictures of a new project, a wall clock turned from a block of solid sapele wood:

15590543210_37e8388d1c_c.jpg

Sapele is an African hardwood similar to mahogany, with a lovely deep reddish colour which darkens over time. It's traditionally used for musical instruments- ukuleles are made from sapele.

I'm afraid I don't have a full set of photos for every stage of this- I didn't have a camera or my phone on me when we tried the first draught, and when I came back a few days later the rough turning had already been done and it was time to do the finishing.

After cutting out a circle of timber on the band saw, the first job is to turn out the interior, which is rebated for the dial and crystal. Once this is done, the frame is mounted up on a jig, and the exterior is turned. Here's the rough-turned frame being set onto the jig:

15751648796_acdb473a5f_c.jpg

15590189417_5f0443c820_c.jpg

the shape of the clock is based on Victorian railway station clocks, which have a lovely sinuous curve. This gets done by eye, so each clock is slightly different. First with chisels, then with increasingly fine papers:

15155940213_04f7b87512_c.jpg

15155942523_0569980af1_c.jpg

Initially I'd been thinking about painting the frame, or possibly varnishing it, as station clocks would be, but seeing the richness of the timber that would have been a travesty! A technique that the turner introduced me to is to rub the wood down with a handful of its own dust. This flattens the nap of the grain and gives it a lovely deep gloss:

15590562040_d579e38c47_c.jpg

After turning the frame, a laidpaper dial gets mounted into the back, an acrylic crystal is mounted into the front, and a German quartz silent movement and steel hands are set in. Here's the result:

clock_8__66868.1415606608.630.630.jpg?c=

clock_4__63890.1415272797.630.630.jpg?c=

clock_5__93824.1415606607.630.630.jpg?c=

clock_3__87950.1415300425.630.630.jpg?c=

Thanks for this! 129 actually isn't very slim by many standards. Jason's wattle canvas jeans above are 129. There's also type 130 with a tapered leg and a bigger seat than 129, and type 132 wider/straighter, which is more of a 40s sort of cut, and my personal favourite. Finally there's 128, which has a straight leg, a flatter seat, and a lower waist, with patch pockets. Feel free to email me if you have any more specific questions.

^^ those look great! I didn't know that there was a tender repair department!   I'll try to get some shots of my tender repairs. Anyone else have any cool repairs to show? 

Edited by satchelbmoore

^^ ^ thanks guys  :)  I did some sheepskin mittens a long while back, and I've thought about gloves. It's not really a problem finding production so much as finding someone who's interested in doing something slightly out of the ordinary. Hats is certainly a possibility, too... I've been pondering the idea of a molleton hat, news here if anything materialises. 

^^ Red Wing 9016 beckman. made right here in Minnesota! loaded up with plenty Mutton Tallow Boot Grease from our favorite little UK brand!

yup. we have three incredibly cool factories here in minnesota, the red wing plant and SB foote Tannery, Faribault Woolen Mills and Duluth Pack. All three are 100+ years old. That is part of what makes tender so cool, the traditions extend back sooooooo much further.

Edited by satchelbmoore

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates for the last couple of weeks. Running off my feet getting the next production and new samples together. Here's a nice & quick photo from a great friend of Tender in Oakland CA:

15384206693_3e7df148cf_c.jpg

Women's Levi's vintage taper selvedge jeans made in SF and the shoes are Sanders Gibson brogues for women. Worn with Unborn wool socks from Unionmade. Lovely combo  :)

Just today I picked up a new product, this bottle opener:

elephant_bottle_opener_2__07262.14187352

it's cut from a slab of solid steel, hand stamped with the Plautus face and oil hardened. It's a big chunk of metal, but very satisfyingly sits cantilevered on a bottle:

16038174365_b96d5c5fb5_b.jpg

This is actually the second bottle opener I've done recently. The first one is a bit simpler, and is based on an old railway nail:

nail_bottle_opener_1__86245.1416518041.6

I'm afraid I don't have as many making photos of these as I'd like, but here are some quick images of putting on the Plautus hand stamp:

15415956104_6ab3e24c45_o.jpg

15850956350_cfe27fe4e5_o.jpg

15852173989_45e88fa0fc_o.jpg

15852173969_023c414e15_o.jpg

16012448966_081a4ae64d_o.jpg

After a massive hit with the enormous hammer.... here's the result:

nail_bottle_opener_4__80763.1416518044.6

If anyone has any Tender in size 2, maybe 3 if it runs small or 1 if it runs big, message me.  I would like some more pieces in my wardrobe.  Thanks!!!!

^^Srudy, you're in good hands with Satchel  :)

I think you might have seen this before! But for anyone else, just got a lovely email from the new owner of this overlapping shoulder driver's jacket in rinsed denim:

16149860655_4e1867f3b9_c.jpg

16149100392_fc02855bab_c.jpg

15964067969_e69b049a23_c.jpg

Back with more pictures and products in the next few weeks, but in the meantime Happy 2015 everyone, and thanks so much for all the enthusiasm and support through the last year- it's really appreciated!

Edited by rodeo bill