Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I hope ROY doesn't feel like I started this whole "one off" craze. "Hey dude can you make me this, but with this and that, instead of what you actually make?" He probably don't care. It is what sets him apart from others.

something i was just thinking about

keep us updated

I hope he'll do it. I mean, Ooe Yofukuten does a similar service and I was sort of getting that vibe from ROY because of this thread. I hope it wasn't a mistake on my part.

My BSPs are really just not tight enough for me, I should've sized down on them. AND I really need a pair of black jeans.

I was/am thinking about going the black raw Dior route, but the MIJ denim on my indigo pair gave me lots of problems thinning out in the crotch/ripping and what not. I'd love to have a pair with a similar cut but made of GOOD denim, and being from North Carolina, Cone Mills black seed would be awesome. In fact, my room mate is from Highpoint NC (Where Cone is located IIRC), and I grew up just an hour or two away. They'd be really special to me and I hope he can do it. Plus its a B-Day present from the girlfriend :o. If everything works out, shes got the say on what i get embroidered on those pocket bags, so that will be an extra surprise.

I'll make sure to keep you guys updated. I hope he can do it! black hardware, black leather patch, black denim, & black seed cotton... ::mind-drool::

I hope ROY doesn't feel like I started this whole "one off" craze. "Hey dude can you make me this, but with this and that, instead of what you actually make?" He probably don't care. It is what sets him apart from others.

I see what you're saying- I got the feeling from talking to Roy that he essentially offers what he offers, which is at this point the denim 5-pocket jean, period. Lucky you to be a cotton duck Guinea pig.

I don't know how me at an SE party would turn out though. I believe I burnt that bridge a long time ago. Maybe next year I will show up incognito and shit. My name tag will read, "rmrswitch." They will never know it is me.

Oh yeah? What'd you do?

I don't know how me at an SE party would turn out though. I believe I burnt that bridge a long time ago. Maybe next year I will show up incognito and shit. My name tag will read, "rmrswitch." They will never know it is me.

Oh yeah? What'd you do?

Hmmmm.... I don't remember any duck in Kiya's shop.... :P

I hope he'll do it. I mean, Ooe Yofukuten does a similar service and I was sort of getting that vibe from ROY because of this thread. I hope it wasn't a mistake on my part.

:

don't worry about it. I think ROY right now is just trying to perfect one thing. The five pocket jean. I think he will probably offer it in different fabrics, but in regards to different cuts we will most likely need to wait for those.

Someone should pick apart Miz's "So I'm having a pair of jeans made..." thread for all the posts about the jeans-making process, and then at the end of it include this video.

Oh, and also include all of the amazing and informative photos roy6 is going to take...

as an artist i always get geeked seeing others perform their craft, their workspaces, personalities, etc.

good stuffs.

Roy6... Roy6. You got some splainin' to do. Pics, Pics, Pics. Come on.

Tease..... I want that fuckin jacket in duck. Bitch.

I went over to Roy Slaper's workspace yesterday. He was nice enough to allow me to take pictures of his place, of some of his clothing, and of him in action working on a pair of jeans (mine!).

The workspace is located in the back of a cabinet manufacturing warehouse in west Oakland, CA. It's a really fantastic space, about 20 x 100', as I eyeballed it, packed with vintage sewing machines dating from the 1920s to the 1970s. There were at least eight distinct work stations set up, as each of the vintage sewing machines is apparently quite specialized.

All of the windows were opaque, but admitted a lot of light, mostly filtered through a large tree abutting the west side of the building. Really a small denim world unto itself.

This first batch of photos are of the general layout plus Roy displaying a few items of clothing he has made.

View from the door:

4593821228_118d9e1476_o.jpg

From the opposite end:

4593204561_22c38f15cd_o.jpg

Bolts of raw and sanforized denim, plus some of the terracotta colored cotton duck LVC has been using for their new run. All of these fabrics are from Cone.

4593203803_eae220f9dd_o.jpg

Some other fabrics ROY had been experimenting with:

4593821834_fc299e0dc2_o.jpg

A chambray shirt ROY made and has worn heavily while working. The placket is nice- the material was folded over and embroidered to form the hem.

4593821352_fef9550d54_o.jpg

Current orders waiting to be filled. Thios gives a good idea of the scale of ROY's operation as of now- he told me this was the most orders he'd so far worked at one time (11).

4593204249_cf861765ef_o.jpg

Piles of cut denim components waiting to be sewn. I believe the farthest pile in on the right is to become my jeans.

4593821724_f1675ff6fc_o.jpg

ROY's vintage sewing machines were amazing. Really beautiful machines, for the most part. I think the ones in use range in date of production from the 1920's up to the 1970s. There was one incredibly industrial-looking machine for sewing coarse leather that might have been from a later date. It's sort of mind-numbing to look at all of the machines set up perfectly with from two to five bobbins of thread suspended above them, all of the individual threads running down through loops and hooks to the sewing heads. My terminology probably sucks, sorry.

There were also a lot of defunct machines stored here and there that were being used for parts for the operational machines.

I think these images speak for themselves except for the last shot here, which is of a belt-loop maker. Strips of cut denim are threaded in from the right, and the guide folds and sews the loops from both sides.

4593906626_e99ebebff5_o.jpg

4593288595_d170cbfc77_o.jpg

4593288959_0aa4487448_o.jpg

4593288855_442a15a7cd_o.jpg

4593906238_90dc17f551_o.jpg

4593906338_de70204741_o.jpg

4593288515_0157871258_o.jpg

These are some detail shots from around Roy's. I have a series of photos of ROY actually working on my jeans- I'm still processing those, so maybe I'll have them posted by tomorrow evening.

Clever rivet-holders ROY made last week:

4593972162_c52d69c272_o.jpg

ROY's business card:

4593972592_a9bedf33b0_o.jpg

Button-hole testing:

4593972072_d645a09070_o.jpg

Also from the table of the button-holeing machine:

4593972338_a13da4f141_o.jpg

Belt-loops waiting to get attached:

4593354875_77009f9ca6_o.jpg

ROY also holds down a full-time job as a metal-worker. When I asked him when he sleeps, he pointed to this drawing of his hanging by the industrial iron:

4593355057_9c6ab195e4_o.jpg

A swath of cotton duck used for embroidery practice. Note the "Grease" logo:

4593972526_4a6bd80d4a_o.jpg

From the order board:

4593355335_197196a236_o.jpg

Finally- a title!

Looks like Roy was the man for the job to document Roy! ;) Did you get any more photos of some more of his work (non-jeans, etc.)?

In that first picture I posted of him, Roy made all of the clothing he's wearing- the jeans, denim jacket, and gingham shirt. He also made the orange hoodie he is wearing in some of the background shots. I'll try to find some better pics.

The jacket was really nice- longer than a standard jean jacket, not as tight in the waist as most, and very simple. No hand warmers. Nice selvadge lines in an unusual place on the inside of the jacket- I'll dig out the pic of that too.

Thanks, zissou.

Great photos and write-up roy! I 'm impressed with ROY's whole operation, but in particular that he has all the different sewing machines needed for the specific parts in a pair of jeans. His workshop looks awesome!

All the drawings and notes around his work-space give me the feeling he's a cool dude with a sense of humor, and that means something when you're buying a pair of jeans from such a small operation. It's not all about the finished product but the people (or one person in this case) behind it all.

I am blown away dude. Big ups. I wish I could rep. I plan on supporting ROY with every type of clothing he makes. I would love that jacket in duck. Some people ride for MFSC. I think I might ride for ROY.

edit: I hope he didn't charge you the $15 shipping. How are your jeans? Soak them yet?