Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

14 minutes ago, CityPickin' said:

I've found that the thing with the R01 cut is that you need to give them a decent amount of time to break in and really mold to your body. My first pair of R01s went from being somewhat unflattering to being my favorite cut, pretty much ever. Some of this was getting used to wider jeans, no doubt. But a lot of it was the denim changing and really breaking in. Give the R01 time. They're worth it. 

I definitely agree with this. I dont have pictures of when I got it but they were definitely pretty billowy which I didnt mind but after a few months and a few washes, it falls a lot differently now and looks a little slimmer. there's still plenty of room but it doesnt look that roomy. 

The bluer XX20 is described as a 'medium shade that after aging has something closer to a natural indigo look'.

The grayer 'XUVS denim has a darker shade and is close to the color of the ROY proprietary denim in color.'

Yet to my (lousy) eyes, the XX20 looks darker than the XUVS -- am I missing something?

^ I think XUVS looks darker on the first few pics, the close-ups are a bit more ambiguous.

Also, did they photoshop the arcs (and a red tab potentially)?) You can see the residual stitching on some pics. 

edit: also patch art. I’m sure there is one, it’s just can’t be displayed, for known reasons, I assume.

Edited by Cocoa_Lapin

22 minutes ago, Radiohead89 said:

What pair are you guys digging?

Digging both jeans. I'll likely cop the XUVS since the measurements look ever-so-slightly slimmer through the thigh compared to the XX20. I'd get both but my lotto numbers didn't hit last night.

How are y'all going to size them? Using my size, 36" waist, as an example, previous iterations of the R01 in loomstate Black Seed denim had a waist measurement of ~37" on a tag size 36. My SExR01 (cloth patch) have a waist of just under 36" after multiple washes and lots of wear. Both Cone pairs have a waist measurement of 36" for a tag size 34 and a 38" waist measurement for size 36. The guidance in the product description says to order the same size as previous Roy jeans, but I'm not sure that makes sense given that both denims are "treated to some processing after weaving" and "have a slightly less rate of shrinkage" than previous Roys.

Curious to hear others' thoughts.

i am really into the xx20. the texture and color look really cool. i’m a true size 29 and i’m really really on the fence about whether a size 30 will be huge on me. (never worn roys before) nevertheless i’ll probably just rationalize this by hot washing them to ever loving hell and back. 

7 minutes ago, JDelage said:

Are they sized larger than previous iterations? I bought the Memorial model in 34 but it looks like size 33 would be a good fit in those.

Measurements for this run do look at little larger than previous. And we don't know yet how much this denim will shrink, but if it's anything like the Black Seed denim it'll shrink a lot and will need 2-3 washes to get all the shrink out. I'm going TTS at 33. The Memorial's in a 34 were gigantic on me, even after being fully shrunk; the LeRoy in a 32 are really tight in the waist after being shrunk and not worn; they'll stretch but tighter than I like; thighs & knees are generous. 

which denim is the lighter one?  I have two black seed and want something different, I must resist the urge to get both... It is difficult to tell with the side by side images

Edited by wmb

@wmb According the SE's descriptions, the XX20 is the lighter shade of the two: "XX20 denim has a medium shade that after aging has something closer to a natural indigo look." 

the XUVS is the darker shade of the two and closer to Roy's Black Seed: "XUVS denim has a darker shade and is close to the color of the ROY proprietary denim in color." 

XX20 will be different to what you already have. 

I asked Kiya about sizing on IG. His response is below. I am TTS 36. According to the listed measurements, a tag size 34 (36" waist, raw) could work. I'm concerned a tag size 36 (38" waist measurement) will be too big after shrinking. Wish we had a bit more info on how much the Cone denims shrink. Anyway, here is what Kiya said:

"I would go for a 34 if you want to only lightly wash them in cold water over time, If you don’t want to worry about how to wash them down the line then I would get a 36 especially if you like to wash your jeans fairly often."