Jump to content
rnrswitch

Roy. (expurgated edition)

Recommended Posts

Thanks mlwdp. It's an old solid silver chain from about 20 years ago that I repurposed by attaching a silver clasp. Yeah it does the job well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely going to cop, almost reminds me of the Portland shirt.
Should've bought every Roy shirt I could over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fabric looks heavier than the Portland shirt. Great buttons as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to some fabric details and close-up pics because I can see sweet FA from the Instagram post lol

In saying that, I've been looking for the right hickory stripe shirt that wasn't your typical two-pocket work shirt, but I can't tell whether this is black/white or blue/white. I've slept on Roy's past shirt releases, but I may seriously consider this once I see more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one not too enthused on Roy's shirts? Presumably it's well made with some bells and whistles but the fabrics didn't look particularly interesting to me. I think they're a great basic, no frills type of shirt but the price is pretty steep imo for what it is. What separates Roy from say, Freewheelers or Flat Head?

Anyone with Roy's shirts wanna chime in on why they like his shirts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the bells and whistles such as the selvage seam up the back, the double placket, and the chain-stitched ROY logo on the inside pocket. Freewheelers or Flathead shirts don't even have these bells and whistles and they are just as(or more) expensive. Of course those shirts are very well made as well and I do agree that they have more interesting fabrics. I happen to enjoy both denim and chambray shirts as well as the crazier Flathead type fabric shirts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goodrain said:

I like the bells and whistles such as the selvage seam up the back, the double placket, and the chain-stitched ROY logo on the inside pocket. Freewheelers or Flathead shirts don't even have these bells and whistles and they are just as(or more) expensive. Of course those shirts are very well made as well and I do agree that they have more interesting fabrics. I happen to enjoy both denim and chambray shirts as well as the crazier Flathead type fabric shirts

Actually, you can get a lot of the standard FW shirts for under $200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ALB said:

Anyone with Roy's shirts wanna chime in on why they like his shirts?

From a constructional standpoint his shirts are similar to his jeans in that every stitch is pretty much perfect and every detail is meticulously finished.
The attention to detail is pretty high, like on his last couple of shirts he's double stitched the button holes for durability. Hard thing to photograph but when you feel the way the buttonholes have been sewn you can tell. It's just the little things like that. Things like the hemstitch used along the front placket, the busted selvedge seam down the back, hand embroidering the size labels, etc. And I think the fabrics that he tends to use look better after a soak/wash.
All that being said, your average Joe has no idea that the shirt was made really well, and I like that. Not super flashy or loud.
And his shirts tend to fit me well, so that's another reason why I like them.
Plus Roy just seems like a cool guy who enjoys making cool shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they're well-made, but for some reason don't have as much personality as his jeans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oomslokop said:

they're well-made, but for some reason don't have as much personality as his jeans

This. I want to like his shirts, but something about them... especially the sizing just doesn't work for me. They definitely seem to be well made, however. I absolutely think they would be worth what you pay for them. For me, however, Freewheelers, Masterson, and Flat Head/RJB have more interesting fabrics.

 

Both pairs of his pants/jeans that I own are amazing cuts on the other hand.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2017 at 9:49 PM, ALB said:

Am I the only one not too enthused on Roy's shirts? Presumably it's well made with some bells and whistles but the fabrics didn't look particularly interesting to me. I think they're a great basic, no frills type of shirt but the price is pretty steep imo for what it is. What separates Roy from say, Freewheelers or Flat Head?

The last 2 shirts' measurements were not working for me. I would also like more interesting fabrics and maybe unique design details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JDelage said:

The last 2 shirts' measurements were not working for me. I would also like more interesting fabrics and maybe unique design details.

I mean, I think Roy's attention to detail and use of various interesting stitching techniques are his unique design details. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

selvage seam up the back, the double placket, chain-stitched ROY logo on the inside pocket, cool buttons, not unique enough? What is unique to you then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buttons at the back and 3 sleeves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everyone goes on about the attention to detail and the flawless stitching, and generally I think the product is up there in the top tier but the single pair of ROY jeans I have have a major flaw that I would consider to be a gross oversight in QC.  I cant explain it very well, but the portion on the fly that has the shell stitching is fucked up and it looks like it was a fabric second or maybe a scrap that was re-purposed.  I can post a pic later but it didnt really take away from my enjoyment of the jeans (when they fit).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 4:36 AM, Broark said:

From a constructional standpoint his shirts are similar to his jeans in that every stitch is pretty much perfect and every detail is meticulously finished.
The attention to detail is pretty high, like on his last couple of shirts he's double stitched the button holes for durability. Hard thing to photograph but when you feel the way the buttonholes have been sewn you can tell. It's just the little things like that. Things like the hemstitch used along the front placket, the busted selvedge seam down the back, hand embroidering the size labels, etc. And I think the fabrics that he tends to use look better after a soak/wash.
All that being said, your average Joe has no idea that the shirt was made really well, and I like that. Not super flashy or loud.
And his shirts tend to fit me well, so that's another reason why I like them.
Plus Roy just seems like a cool guy who enjoys making cool shit.

Perfect!  Like his jeans, Roy's shirts exude quality.  You know it when you see it first hand.

That said, a shirt or pair of jeans has to fit well.  His shirts, like some of his jeans (e.g., KS1001/1002), have a linear quality.  They hang and drape well and have a slightly less casual look than other shirts we're familiar with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, goodrain said:

selvage seam up the back, the double placket, chain-stitched ROY logo on the inside pocket, cool buttons, not unique enough? What is unique to you then?

The chain stitch logo is very cool and unique, fair point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the next batch of jeans that Roy is going to make might be the new Self Edge collaboration.
Not much has been said about them yet, but it sounds like there might be a new denim being used.
I'm hoping to see some more info on them soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-3-16 at 0:39 PM, UkeNo said:

Any news on the Selfedge x Roy Jean Kiya? 

I presume this will be after the shirts phase? 

 

On 2017-3-16 at 3:27 PM, kiya said:

We're still working on this and have made some great progress so far.   As it is going to be an official Self Edge collaboration it needs to be a truly unique fabric which can take a while.  We're still aiming for a summer release though!

From March 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I'm getting the itch to try some cone denim and Roy seems to be the most interesting brand right now. I'm hoping to get a pair in the next 3 or 4 months but I guess thats going to be hard given Roy's situation.

Off topic but any other interesting brands using cone denim? I'm more of a sc1947 cut guy so the recent offerings from tellason, left field don't work for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mousemouse said:

OK, I'm getting the itch to try some cone denim and Roy seems to be the most interesting brand right now. I'm hoping to get a pair in the next 3 or 4 months but I guess thats going to be hard given Roy's situation.

Off topic but any other interesting brands using cone denim? I'm more of a sc1947 cut guy so the recent offerings from tellason, left field don't work for me.

http://www.railcarfinegoods.com/Railcar_Fine_Goods_mens_Spikes_X001_p/rmjjmx030.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mousemouse said:

OK, I'm getting the itch to try some cone denim and Roy seems to be the most interesting brand right now. I'm hoping to get a pair in the next 3 or 4 months but I guess thats going to be hard given Roy's situation.

Off topic but any other interesting brands using cone denim? I'm more of a sc1947 cut guy so the recent offerings from tellason, left field don't work for me.

 

If you are size 32-34 you can consider this

https://www.denimbro.com/shortys-yard-sale-roy-ks1002_topic3545.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now