Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

1 hour ago, Sansome1877 said:

I’ve been trapped doing nothing but working, mainly finishing drywall for the last 8 months…No mining what so ever, we have started putting the Levi book together, it’s only been 12 years since we said we would finish it.

Better get that book finished first before you go back down any mines mate, just in case anything happens to ya ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, reallypeacedoff said:

So has Roy moved to Japan to make jeans? Saw his story recently, I couldn't tell if he has setup his house to home all his machines.

He’s visiting the Buaisou team, they bought all his machines a couple of years ago. Looks like he’s helping out setting them up and spending some time learning about their indigo dyeing. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, nick682 said:

Did anyone see Roy's IG story he posted earlier today? Is it just a tease or a real release? 

Did he put up a post and take it down? The latest post on his IG is form March 06 

I’ve never had them either and wouldn’t jump on the hype train BUT his jeans looks very good - well thought out designs, some nice unique and quirky touches, a sense of humour, carefully selected denim (that was sometimes custom made), faultless construction and custom made hardware, patches, etc. On top of all that, I think Roy communicated his products well on his website.

We all know that some of these smaller brands generate a lot of interest, develop a cult following and, unfortunately hype, e.g. CSF, Ooe. Alas, that’s the nature of the beast. Out of those three though, I’d choose Roy.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I suppose it depends on how you measure hype.. if it’s insane amounts of wonga for relatively shite product then look no further than LVC.. it’s not just the smaller brands, they don’t even have expensive marketing campaigns.

i personally measure it using the people who blindly follow hype as a yardstick.. see what brands those folks migrate to

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I’m using Sufu as context here I suppose Neal and those are the three brands that spring to mind in terms of interest/cult/hype, call it what you will. I think back in the Denimbro days, Mister Freedom releases were similarly anticipated, although their vast product range differentiated them a bit. I don’t think LVC falls into this category here despite their recent attempts to justify ridiculous prices for limited edition Cone Mills models that they now seem to bang out on a regular basis!

I also think that perhaps one person’s enthusiasm is another person’s hype.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’ve never had them either and wouldn’t jump on the hype train BUT his jeans looks very good - well thought out designs, some nice unique and quirky touches, a sense of humour, carefully selected denim (that was sometimes custom made), faultless construction and custom made hardware, patches, etc. On top of all that, I think Roy communicated his products well on his website.

We all know that some of these smaller brands generate a lot of interest, develop a cult following and, unfortunately hype, e.g. CSF, Ooe. Alas, that’s the nature of the beast. Out of those three though, I’d choose Roy.

Just my uneducated opinion but I've never really liked his patterns or the sewing ,maybe its the high stitch count that reminds me of some single needle jeans I've seen ( i don't like those either ) . I suppose we all gravitate to what we like and Roy just wasn't one of the brands for me 

I’ve had a few pairs of ROY jeans through the years and to be honest the patterns were always just a bit off for me to really love them. 
the cherry on top though was when I sent him some photos of a pair I was using for blue collar work. 
He sent me an insane message saying how terrible of a customer I am and that I’m just ruining and abusing his jeans…..that I am the terminator and he said he’d never sell me another pair….   
Then blocked me on IG after that message. 
Dude can be a bit of a nut. 

On 4/25/2023 at 8:23 AM, Double 0 Soul said:

Regarding Sufu context.. just a bit of enthusiasm can change the direction of a thread, Freewheelers is a case in point, is it hype?

Field of Dreams

Fuck sake - one minute you’re complaining there’s no action on the FW thread now you’re saying it’s hyped. You northerners are right fickle.

Edited by Duke Mantee

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Just my uneducated opinion but I've never really liked his patterns or the sewing ,maybe its the high stitch count that reminds me of some single needle jeans I've seen ( i don't like those either ) . I suppose we all gravitate to what we like and Roy just wasn't one of the brands for me 

Your opinion is not uneducated at all, you probably have better knowledge than most on this forum and I know you have good experience of quite a few brands over the years. As you say it’s just personal preferences.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:41 AM, Flash said:

Other than hype , what is it that draws people to Roy ? I've never thought all that much of them to be honest but I've never had a pair in hand so maybe I'm missing something 

My tuppence worth. I bought a pair of his original run jeans. They were simple, very well constructed and reminded me of a pair of 70's redlines, although the cut was more drain-pipe than carrot shaped (?) I have used and abused them as much as l can and am very happy with them even now. Although l don't like the cheapish looking YKK hardware. They were a 100 quid and l'd give them an 8/10.

Also had the RoyxCones. Lovely denim but didn't get on with the cut (although when worn l got a lot of flattering comments :blush2:) and l hated the slash pockets. Beautifully constructed though with a definate artisan touch.

After that it all went hypesville due to his new 'limited releases' via Selfedge. Each release just seemed a bit similar and not particularly interesting to me, although he used some nice denims.  I had also heard from a good source that the guy was a bit of an egomaniac so even more reason to keep away. 

That slash pocket pair was the only time l swerved from the 5 pocket traditional jean so phew!

Edited by Dr_Heech
To clarify

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

Fuck sake - one minute you’re complaining there’s no action on the FW thread no you’re saying it’s hyped. You northerners are right fickle.

Hey.. at least you've finally acknowledged my northerness..

3 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

that I am the terminator and he said he’d never sell me another pair….   

Did he say which Terminator? T-800 or T-1000?

4 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

I’ve had a few pairs of ROY jeans through the years and to be honest the patterns were always just a bit off for me to really love them. 
the cherry on top though was when I sent him some photos of a pair I was using for blue collar work. 
He sent me an insane message saying how terrible of a customer I am and that I’m just ruining and abusing his jeans…..that I am the terminator and he said he’d never sell me another pair….   

Shit that's silly, jeans being...meant for work and all.

I just never loved some of the design aspects and some other little subjective traits, but they looked really well done. That and I am pretty allergic to limited edition fluffery - even though by nature everything he did is that (most of these brands are that, really). I also won't buy from SE, so that made things easy. But if someone had offered my size to me unworn at a totally normal price (as which happened to my OA's), I may have tried them for the sake of it - but something about competing to buy something so simple is just antithetical to me.  

All of that said, I do think he probably is one of the better craftsmen out there, but honestly, to me, that's not super high on my list of importance because I don't need my jeans to be perfect - the level of almost every brand on this forum is plenty good.