Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Recently got a pair of Peanut pants. I've been hoping to try some straighter fits, but it looks like I bit off more than I could chew (sizing error on an impulse buy, totally my fault). They are over-sized and need to be worn with a belt so they sit near my navel. The rise, thighs and hip area are larger than any other pants I've ever worn. They swallow up my ass, which usually fills most other pants that are sized for my waistline.

Likely already fully shrunk, so I'm SOL for hoping they would be a better fit. On the flip side, they're a great looking pair, fantastic details and stitching, plus a beautiful, heavy, dark and hairy fabric. Wonder if I'll ever look great in them, but here's some quick and dirty photos, fit pics at the end.

20210206_094953.thumb.jpg.ac68a8700394f88d9905a0115823a339.jpg

20210206_095353.thumb.jpg.245ddc202545c5ec08030fcaa7f0a59a.jpg

20210206_095104.thumb.jpg.ac44039b0063b036be1f0c41d7222bfd.jpg

20210206_095438.thumb.jpg.c5d6182e91cdefc265a8164184145558.jpg

20210206_095306.thumb.jpg.bf62b7c63c5402dea7b468faf06477b3.jpg20210206_100606.thumb.jpg.d9736a59e4c08cdd44a507022f495b35.jpg

20210206_095233.thumb.jpg.b4e27fc54b8567a94748f9cf378e953e.jpg

20210206_090006.jpg

@goodrain thanks, I read that this denim could shrink a lot. I've given them a wash and put them through the dryer inside out on warm, removed when slightly damp. I could potentially try another cycle of soak/wash and dry, but not holding out a lot of hope for that.

@chicote thanks for the headsup on those. A size or two down could work. I noticed them too, tempting, but will need to negotiate on the price! 

@cause4pause nice pair! They do look too big. Roy's Black Seed denim will shrink a lot. Give them another wash in hot water, inside out, and a 15 +/- minute hot cycle in a dryer. There just might still be some shrink left. 

@mpukas thanks, this is a size 32 and the waist is currently sitting around 15.5 inches (flat, or 31 inches doubled). They were apparently 33 inches in their raw state. Might be a miracle if I get more shrink.

Honestly, I'm tempted to just rock them oversized considering how nice they are, although it seems a bit of a waste if they aren't flattering. 

I like the fit on you honestly! in my experience a proper hem can make or break a pair of oversized pants. I used to have a pair of size 2 Tender 132s back in 2014 that fit me just like this; totally unwieldy without a belt, hanging off me from the waist down more or less. I never hemmed them so they kept their factory inseam, meaning 3” double cuffs at least lol. I wore them for about 6 months before giving them to a friend who fit them better. Last I saw they’re still going strong! But now in hindsight I think had I just cut those huge cuffs I would have made them work. Although sometimes I felt stupid wearing them out at the time, it’s now an experience that I look back on really fondly, and definitely paved the way for more experimentation with looser clothing — it really disillusioned me out of our era’s orthodoxy of what ‘proper’ fitting pants should be like. All that’s to say there’s a place for oversized pants if you’re committed!

That said, hemming them is a commitment in itself if you might end up selling them down the line. And there’s always that size down (which I’m not affiliated with at all to be clear!) if you decide to go in that direction. Either way you end up with a pair of the nicest jeans in the world, truly, so from that perspective you can’t go wrong!

Edited by chicote

@cause4pause To add to @chicote,  hemmed up to a slight break, to allow for residual shrinkage down the line, especially if machine drying.

I was a solid W34 for 8yrs, now forced to embrace my new reality which is migrate to a W36 :rolleyes: 

I’m saying,  if u got something special on hand, hold on to them ... u can enjoy that pair for a lot longer.  Im sharing an experience that recently happened with the Evisu 2000T ... which I initially thought of replacing w/ a size down.

edit: These are my solitary pair of Roys, R01 W36, which felt too big for me at the time ... double hot soaked, then cold washed, set aside & remained unworn ... NOW! Things are looking up :)223C9C4F-FD90-4B46-8526-E312C540E304.thumb.jpeg.b259b348436d09b3f9809832765437f2.jpeg

Edited by BrownMetallic

So I’ve been in a similar situation. 
let me give you my experiences. 
so I’m a 34 waist I’ve worn 32,33,34,36 in Roy jeans at different points. 
the best were the ones that were the correct size so 33 or 34. 
I will say oversized CAN work but when I had my 36 they were great and perfect right out of the wash/dry but then would stretch out right back to a 36 waist which was just too big. 
so I’d cinch down my belt to make them work but then the fly and crotch would bunch up terribly and looked like shit. That’s just my experience and why I don’t do oversized jeans. Drives my OCD wild haha 

Not only does that denim shrink, it shrinks slowly, over multiple cycles. So if I were you, I would soak them overnight, then spin dry them on high till completely dry, and repeat that 2-3 times. Then decide.

@chicote thanks for the reassurance. Good advice. Many years ago, I used to wear oversized clothing too, but that stemmed from a lack of style and knowledge rather than intention. I felt much better about myself after the weight loss and going slim fit, so you might imagine my brain having a mini fit when trying on oversized clothing for the first time in years! Perhaps I'll give them a go if I can do some outfits along the lines of Engineered Garments, Beams, or the Japanese outdoor fashion fits that seem to be proliferating these days.

@BrownMetallic wow, that does look good on you. Heading into the big four-oh now, I'd probably only grow sideways at this point, makes sense to have bigger pants in reserve!

@shredwin_206 aye, agree about the bunching around the crotch. These could potentially have that issue, but the fabric drapes so heavily that it doesn't seem that severe. One of my older pairs had the crotch bunch issue caused by a loose top block but very slim thighs. Interestingly the problem went away when I got fat...

@JDelage cheers, I'll give that a shot. I avoided the spin cycle on the most recent wash.

^ Yes, true size in these might be a 30. Judging by these, next size down could still be a little large but workable. Tried to contact the seller about shipping but no response yet. Sometimes it’s a challenge even finding people willing to ship to Australia. Next challenge being shipping costs, but that’s always an issue for folks down under.

Anyone have any fit pics of hemmed All Ducks on hand? Found a nice pair online in my size but am wondering whether they might be a bit too slim down the leg... these are tagged 30, 7.5” at the hem with a 34” inseam. I’d say 8” is probably the smallest hem I’d hope for and could take up to 5” off the legs to get there. Kind of a ridiculous specific question but I figure the knowledge must be here if anywhere!

Edited by chicote

Z4LwdMG.jpg

1 hour ago, chicote said:

Anyone have any fit pics of hemmed All Ducks on hand? Found a nice pair online in my size but am wondering whether they might be a bit too slim down the leg... these are tagged 30, 7.5” at the hem with a 34” inseam. I’d say 8” is probably the smallest hem I’d hope for and could take up to 5” off the legs to get there. Kind of a ridiculous specific question but I figure the knowledge must be here if anywhere!

here's mine hemmed to a 29 and then double cuffed so probably a 27? tag size 32

I was the victim of a flipper once- seemed really interested in the pair, extra measurements and photos and came down from an already great price as the buyer seemed genuinely interested. Next week I saw the pair for sale from my buyer for nearly triple what they paid. Kinda irked me, but once they’re out of my hands, it’s no longer mine and not my call. 
Good luck if you go for them! 

If it starts not being fun, I’ll have to reevaluate what I’m doing.” - ROY

Sad that this day had come. Bummed I couldn’t pick up a shirt, but grateful I own a few of his jeans. His work is truly magical and every piece he’s made is a masterpiece.