Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

1 hour ago, Josh'N'Roll said:

More importantly, I'd like to get an ID on the house shoes. Wesco? Lofgren? Rolling Dub Trio? Pretty sure I see a Cat's Paw sole peeking out at the heel. :D

All I see is four Dog’s Paws  

Good luck copping Roys folks 

Edited by unders

I have a pair of 34's in my cart, but the website just sloooowed down. At least it lets me lets me mull over my decision for a bit. Wondering if I should wait for a 34 in his straighter fits to pop up for resale or not. 

16 hours ago, JohnnyUtah247 said:

What were you looking for? I’m hoping roy uses this denim on his next straight leg Jean. I’m tempted to size up and try these but I don’t wanna spend the money on something I know won’t be perfect. 

I guess it would be characterized as Relaxed Tapered. But like I said, it's just not what Roy does. 

14 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

^ what was the R01 if not relaxed–tapered? It’s one of my favorite cuts, but, if anything, my main complaints about it are that it’s too relaxed up top and too tapered towards the hem 

Isn’t the R01 considered Classic Straight? I own several “Relax Tapered” jeans, and when comparing them to Roy’s R01 cut they are completely different. I do enjoy the more roomier all around shape for the R01, but I feel the leg opening has barely any tapering, if any 

Edited by tewsday

The thighs on mine measure 13”+ and the leg openings measure around 8”, with the knees midway between; that’s plenty of taper

If they were real slim up top they could probably have a similar leg opening without needing to taper much, but as is they’re approaching carrot territory…extremely comfortable & versatile, but honestly not super flattering

I have a slew of what I’d call classic straight (say ‘50s cut, give or take) jeans with similarly-sized top blocks, and they generally have leg openings firmly in the 9” range, which makes a pretty big difference

Edited by julian-wolf

Caved in and got myself a pair. Funny thing is, I was probably one of the first to buy it as I was afraid they’ll sell out too quickly; and it turns out my size (31) is the only one that’s at 4+ still.

I mostly wonder how does this RT fit stack up against R01; as others said, R01 feels perfect and is my favorite ever so far. And since and I don’t have any other pair with similar measurements (especially rise), I don’t know for sure if it’s just because of those measurements or Roy’s expert craftsmanship and pattern making skill, or a bit of both probably. I do, on the other hand, have a few similar pairs to this RT cut, at least in terms of numbers. 

Also, @julian-wolf, it turns out that for like the past 5-6 releases at least Roy used all cotton stitching, as per @youngofthesoonestreply... for some reason I thought it was polycore. Wasn’t it your main issue with his jeans?

^ Yeah, I was surprised to read that…I know some of the stitching (overlocking on the inseams comes to mind) has been cotton, but most of the thread really, really seems like poly-core—in particular, the stitching at the pocket openings and the rear yoke has that sheen to it, and it doesn’t seem to shrink much at all, and lasts much longer than the cotton threads on any of my repro jeans, all of which has me kinda skeptical

edit: This is all in reference to the earlier Test Lot R01s, which I guess may no longer be among the last 5–6 releases—when I get home, I’ll have to look more closely at the more recent Leroy’s to see if they seem any different

Edited by julian-wolf

Hey gents, i just stumbled in here for some unknown reason... fwiw if you want to know for sure whether your jeans are stitched with cotton or poly threads... get a lighter and set fire to the loose threads inside your jeans, let them burn for a second or two, blow them out and rub the burned blackness between your thumb and finger... if it's fine black dust it's 100% cotton, if it leaves a harder black nub behind, it's poly, if it's a combination of dust/nub it's poly-cotton, also you'll notice a lot more black smoke from man made fibre.

43 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Hey gents, i just stumbled in here for some unknown reason... fwiw if you want to know for sure whether your jeans are stitched with cotton or poly threads... get a lighter and set fire to the loose threads inside your jeans, let them burn for a second or two, blow them out and rub the burned blackness between your thumb and finger... if it's fine black dust it's 100% cotton, if it leaves a harder black nub behind, it's poly, if it's a combination of dust/nub it's poly-cotton, also you'll notice a lot more black smoke from man made fibre.

D0876A4A-728F-4C92-8537-159A33FAC08F.jpeg

I managed a truly heroic amount of self-control and refrained from purchasing a size 36 this morning when they went on sale and again this afternoon when a couple pairs of 36 were back in stock after previously showing as sold out. I am exhausted. Nothing to do now but wait for regret to settle in. Congrats to those who copped!

It’s time to let these go. I’ve held onto them for a while, but they’re not getting worn enough. 
I’ll be listing them all (somewhere) soon, but feel free to hit me up if you’re interested.
-SOLD-

They came to me separately, but I’m only sending them out as a family. 

Here’s my final wear pic on all of them. 

rso4 33 unhemmed, worn, repaired, worn more, solid crotch, plenty of holes elsewhere 

all ducks 32 unhemmed great shape 

no idea 32 unhemmed - purchased on eBay with the small cut (that doesn’t go through), light wear 

072535F5-51A8-4CCA-AD7A-F786353F2C1E.thumb.jpeg.184c17970e53f710722b087bfb5e610f.jpeg95A6F455-651F-47DB-B648-75BDE9EF5A7E.thumb.jpeg.58166b3ee757c9534aef2fde7437a074.jpeg130C3269-9F96-4347-A816-AF19C152B962.thumb.jpeg.794c3d706c9a58301a97bc9405f94d00.jpeg0B84A6F3-3374-4871-9B66-E8A8BC0E8A2B.thumb.jpeg.02202eb806c3077f9d493f1cced13d49.jpeg3CC8E28C-2DFC-4D75-B9BE-4F14C890DE37.thumb.jpeg.0d07d778c32f76c25e663466aa23837e.jpeg

Edited by lefty

Here are some RT measurements.  I was torn between 34 and 36 and went for 36.  Soaked in warm water for an hour and (God forbid) put them in the dryer to maximize shrinkage for a partial dry, then hung outside to fully dry.  The denim looks like it's been stored in a barn for 15 years -- slightly faded color (grey cast), interesting irregularities, lots of blue/brown color in the warm water and on my hands, beautifully sewn (the lining is especially nice).  For a new pair of jeans, they feel vintage (as in old, but in a good way).

Raw / Post Soak-Dry-Slight Stretch

Waist  37.5" / 36.0"

FR     12.675 / 12.0

BR     17.5 / 17.375

Thigh   14.5 / 14.5

Knee    9.875 / 9.875

LO       9.0 / 8.875

Inseam   38.5 / 36.5