Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I received 3 emails at the same time; one was order being processed, one was order cancelled, and the last was order shipped. When I checked the order on my SE account, it said the XX20 was oversold and I was refunded. The XUVS has shipped. 

I'd assume that if you guys have received a shipping notice, and no refund notice, then you order has been fulfilled. 

6 minutes ago, Broark said:

Got my shipping notification as well, y’all got me worried now. :D Crazy fast turnaround on the hemming, had both pairs hemmed to 35 pre wash.

One of the things that gets me about Roy's jeans are the long inseam - meaning that a good number of people will have them hemmed and not benefit from, or experience the hem he's created on his wizards hemming machine. 

I'm not aware of any pairs of worn and faded jeans that have the original hem since he started using the current Union Special(?) he has now. It definitely has a heft or thickness to it that's unlike others.  

I'd like to see a we'll roped pair with the original hem stitching after some good wear. 

Anyone..? 

^ I can post photos of the hems of my R01 Test Lots this weekend; not sure at what points in time he’s made changes to his setup, but these would’ve been done around 2 years ago

edit: Beat me to it (actually, though, there may already be some photos of the hems among the update shots that I posted a few pages ago)

Edited by julian-wolf

I'm pretty sure Roy was hemming jeans at Inspiration or Denimbruin a few years back with this machine. Had a sign with something quirky on it by his station. 
might of been 2016 or 17? 
sure he wasn't selling jeans just show casing this kit and hanging out. 
This sound right? 

Edit: This one is probably an embroidery machine not chainstitch. 

Sure there a similar picture with the Chainstitch machine too. 

Edited by UkeNo

I think the machine he uses for hemming is still the singer chainsticher that he tweaked. it's a very cool machine. We dont have that machine but all the Roys being hemmed are hemmed on the union special 43200G that roy set up and tuned at the end of 2019. Hems up pretty nicely. 

IMG_4126.jpeg

Edited by youngofthesoonest

I/we have these hems :biggrin:@youngofthesoonest they're very nice indeed. No complaints here.
Wanted to check what the difference was...A rare Union Special vs even rarer Singer chain stitch. 
Brilliant that the attention to construction details and finish stretches this far really. 

11 minutes ago, youngofthesoonest said:

I think the machine he uses for hemming is still the singer chainsticher that he tweaked. it's a very cool machine. We dont have that machine but all the Roys being hemmed are hemmed on the union special 43200G that roy set up and retuned at the end of 2019. Hems up pretty nicely. 

Edited by UkeNo

5 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

I/we have these hems :biggrin:@youngofthesoonest they're very nice indeed. No complaints here.
Wanted to check what the difference was...A rare Union Special vs even rarer Singer chain stitch. 
Brilliant that the attention to construction details and finish stretches this far really. 

haha I definitely get it. From what I've seen the singer stitch has a nice rounder look with each stitch. I think he also uses a thicker pima cotton thread which really adds to the look of it. I would've loved to keep the original hem but unfortunately my short inseam and high water jean preference makes it so I end up hemming at least 4" minimum on every jean I get. 

2 hours ago, UkeNo said:

One of the things that gets me about Roy's jeans are the long inseam - meaning that a good number of people will have them hemmed and not benefit from, or experience the hem he's created on his wizards hemming machine. 

Agree completely. 39.5" inseam is really long, and I'll need mine hemmed. Didn't order hemming at time of purchase. I wish Roy offered hemming his own jeans himself. I'd pay shipping both ways and a fee for him to do it. As it is I'll still have to pay for SE to do it. Unless I decide to actually be cool and wear cuffs... B)

Congrats to everyone that snagged a pair! My regret for not purchasing a pair is getting real. If anyone has the XX20 or XUVS in size 32 or 33 that they want to part ways with, please shoot me a PM.

Edited by tewsday

10 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Full-sized rivets for the coin pocket (fully adorned as befitting to Leroy's)—has that been the case for the other recent Self Edge releases? For a while it seemed like he was always using the tiny rivets for the coin pockets

Hell yeah

Usually the coin pocket is the smaller rivet. I believe the full size rivet with the special leroyness is unique for this release (I didnt get a chance to see the previous Leroy releases so I'm not sure if this is a Leroy thing in general that he does)

^ Same details as the previous R01 Leroy’s, at least as far as the back pockets go

Good info @youngofthesoonest, thanks—the last ones used small rivets with appropriate branding, so I guess the full-sized branded coin pocket rivets are a first

Didn’t do any raw measurements but I hot washed my size 33 xx20s.

These will have to go in the dryer for some extra shrinkage, any tips? Dry them in the machine all the way or just high heat for a few minutes and line dry?

XX20 size 33  

Waist - 16.75”

Front Rise - 12.85”

Back Rise - 16.85”

Thigh - 13.75”

Thigh 1” Down - 13.25”

Knee 14” down - 9.5”

30” Down - 8.85”

34” Down - 8.75”

Inseam - 36.25”

Hem - 8.5”

How much more do you need them to shrink? If I use the dryer, I dry my jeans until they are damp (on "delicate" or "permanent press/medium heat" settings, checking on them every 15 minutes). Then I hang them until they are completely dry. If you need more shrinkage, you could blast them on the highest heat setting until they are nearly dry, then hang them.

I know you didn't take raw measurements, but how much did the waist shrink if you had to guess? 

Thanks, @jegr. I got a pair of the xx20 size 34. The waist measures bang on 36" which is TTS for me. I'm worried they'll shrink too much even with a  cold wash. Gotta wait and see how stretchy the denim is before I soak them.