Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

18 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Who doesn’t love observing a frenzied scramble to desperately attempt to buy some limited edition stuff? I reckon Roy and Self Edge underpriced these - should’ve been at least $500! I bought 2 pairs of each in a 32, hopefully I’ll double my money on the ‘Bay :P

Why would write that. Now we’re screwed next time. Delete this. 

Got a pair (guiltily) of the xvus as that denim looked more interesting to me from the Levi’s thread referenced a few pages back. Hopefully they arrive when the wife is at work so I can squirrel them away without her finding out! Lol. Also hoping we get another batch of stimulus checks, that’ll help pay these off.

The hype train is strong with this batch! 
anyone know how many pairs he made of each? 
look forward to photos of the denim that looks like cone natural indigo 

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Who doesn’t love observing a frenzied scramble to desperately attempt to buy some limited edition stuff? I reckon Roy and Self Edge underpriced these - should’ve been at least $500! I bought 2 pairs of each in a 32, hopefully I’ll double my money on the ‘Bay :P

I reckon we could drum up way more than $500 in sponsorship if you post a WAYWT pic of you actually wearing them!!! :P

Edited by MJF9

9 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

The hype train is strong with this batch! 
anyone know how many pairs he made of each? 
look forward to photos of the denim that looks like cone natural indigo 

Looked like 3–4 pairs of the smaller and larger sizes and "4+" pairs each of 33 and 34, when they first went online

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

...I bought 2 pairs of each in a 32, hopefully I’ll double my money on the ‘Bay :P

yeah... i wonder how many other people bought multiple pairs out of the hype of Roy + new denim + Cone deadstock and are planning on trying to flip them for a profit. Kinda like that DB that bought a truck load of hand sanitizer at the beginning of the pandemic and planned on selling for a huge mark-up on Amazon/Ebay, and then got banned from selling them. Roy & Kiya won't be happy to see that happening. 

20 minutes ago, mpukas said:

yeah... i wonder how many other people bought multiple pairs out of the hype of Roy + new denim + Cone deadstock and are planning on trying to flip them for a profit. Kinda like that DB that bought a truck load of hand sanitizer at the beginning of the pandemic and planned on selling for a huge mark-up on Amazon/Ebay, and then got banned from selling them. Roy & Kiya won't be happy to see that happening. 

At the end of the day, they still sold 80 pairs of jeans for $430 a pop in 30 mins.  Not a bad day’s work.  Some people definitely bought for resale, but you have to be pretty into Roys to even be in on the appeal of this particular batch.

29 minutes ago, mpukas said:

It's pretty rare now that we see people ordering multiple of the same roy jean. This time around is true too. The only multiple roy jean orders are the ones where people bought both fabrics. 

3 minutes ago, cjfergs said:

At the end of the day, they still sold 80 pairs of jeans for $430 a pop in 30 mins.  Not a bad day’s work.  Some people definitely bought for resale, but you have to be pretty into Roys to even be in on the appeal of this particular batch.

of course good for Roy (and SE) for selling 80 +/- pairs in 40 minutes. Roy loves every pair of jeans he makes as if they are his own children. I'm fairly certain he wants to see his jeans bought by people who intend to wear and appreciate them. He also has to know that there's a resale market for his creations, and some people are going to buy his jeans, ice them for a while, and flip them. 

And - I also get that the number of people that even know of Roy and appreciate what he does with Cone denim pales in comparison to other main stream fashion brands, where hoading and flipping new drops seems more common. 

I somehow talked myself into both and miraculously got an order notice, but not holding my breath until they actually shipHave been burned ordering Roy’s from SE before. Either way you win though - a new pair of Roys, or a few hundred dollars more in the bank:)

Seems like we have rusted some jimmies. :D Must be their first Roy rodeo...
image.png.40767b2e0b154ec6620747528b20e2af.png
I bought both pairs with the intent of wearing them, and I don't think anyone stockpiled with the intent of being a scummy reseller.

5 minutes ago, Broark said:

Seems like we have rusted some jimmies. :D Must be their first Roy rodeo...
image.png.40767b2e0b154ec6620747528b20e2af.png
I bought both pairs with the intent of wearing them, and I don't think anyone stockpiled with the intent of being a scummy reseller.

Lolz. Yeah, mine will get worn eventually. I have the same problem as you- too much denim and not enough legs!

I haven't spent much time researching roy resale value but at $350-$400 retail, is there really a lot of profit to be made on Roys in the resale market? Are they actually selling for that much more on eBay/grailed? 

29 minutes ago, Broark said:

I don't think anyone stockpiled with the intent of being a scummy reseller.

except Martin, of course, but he gets a pass

Yeah though, with them coming to ~$490 a pop after tax and shipping I’d think it’d be tough to make much of a profit reselling…

Woah. 40 min? Thought I'd have a couple of days to purchase. Selfedge/Roy should really think about doing a preorder for the next one. Who knows how many pairs they could have sold if 80 pairs wasn't the ceiling. Also, I hate panic rushing to purchase anything. I did it for the first SE collab with Ironheart, and I'm not keen to ever do it again. If I can't take my time to buy something, it's probably best that I missed it.

Preorder process wouldn't really change much I don't think.
My understanding is that generally speaking Roy has a number of jeans he can / wants to produce in one production run and isn't going to stretch himself any further.
He told me that for the initial run of jeans for SE (RS/N01 way back when) he made like 140 pairs in one go and the 16 hour work days took a toll on him.

Just got order update f/ SE: the XX20 was oversold, and they refunded me for that pair. Bummed. At least I got the XUVS. 

Super bummer. Did this come before or after the shipping notification? I got the shipping notification a bit ago, so I’m hoping I’m in the clear, but given your experience I’ll probably be holding my breath ‘til they arrive…