Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Does anyone know if the R01 cut has changed or been tweaked at all over its various iterations?  I ask because I bought an early version of the R01 (cloth patch) which is quite full through the upper leg, especially relative to the waist and hem.  I'm a big-thighed guy and while I find the fit very comfortable, I'm not sure it's the most flattering cut ... for me.  I'm specifically wondering if the measurements from the top block to the knee have changed, since this is my only area of concern.

As I understand it, the most recent R01 Indigo Lovers was slightly reworked from the previous R01, which was slightly reworked... The IL have a slightly more taper at the knee and to the hem. Still a very full thigh. A bit more flattering than previous versions, maybe. I have the LeRoy in 32, they are tight in the waist after shrinkage and no wear, but roomy in the thigh. I thought that was one of the best cuts, but I think the IL are even better. 

I'm curious to see if/how's he's altered the pattern to allow for shrinkage of the new denim, compared to Black Seed. I know, I sound like a broken record... 

Good to know that they've added even more taper since the early R01—I like my Test Lots a whooole lot from a comfort standpoint, but agree with @JohnM that the cut's not the most flattering aesthetically, and I think a big part of that is how strongly tapered it is from a super wide thigh to a kinda slim leg opening

I think the ideal for me would be a little less room in the upper thighs and a little less taper below the knee, but in the end I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with however they turn out; at this point it's all just nitpicking

Will be interested to see fit photos and photos of the denim. 
I can’t justify spending that much on jeans these days. After the shutdown and have a family vacation coming up. 
also I’m already in the TCB contest. Haha

re: the lighter color denim w/the selvedge next to the indigo... do we think this is similar to the LVC '37 denim? I am really curious to see what the deal is here, because "XX STF" leads me to think LVC used off-label and from the photos i've seen the '37 denim ticks those boxes

really just speculating w/no basis but i'm curious what you more educated folk think

Just doing some internet sleuthing, based off of the labels of these two boxes:

I found this photo that references the Cone XX20 denim used on the 37 jeans back in 2007:
levis-vintage-fw-07.jpg

So far I haven't found anything referencing the "UVS" denim...

On 6/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, Spiraltoy said:

’37s had another wash. Rally like this stage and the different blues of the fabric. The roping ain’t half bad for an lvc either.

A2A2DE69-B09C-4B77-AB01-5973F3CD961B.jpeg

9A13603D-1E84-422E-9A15-111442EB5FB4.jpeg

86400C57-8339-4886-B1D3-6A2C43262BB9.jpeg

This was the post that got me thinking about the 37s @Broark these might be the same in the photo you linked? If that's the case, I am fully sold on this pair. Beautiful. 

Very well could be the same denim (I'm not as well versed as some when it comes to LVC...).
Either way I'm pumped, I want some lighter weight Roy jeans. Curious to see what the UVS denim is.

Broark, here’s a link to an old 501 thread courtesy of Paul T (who else?) and if you scroll down to the section on the 47 model you’ll find the following reference to XUVS denim used for that model:

“Denim weight of the repros, as per the originals, is 12.5 oz - this equates to roughly 14oz once washed. Codename for this denim is XUVS. It'sgrainer than that for the 1955 jean.“

Edited by Maynard Friedman
Wrong link

On 7/17/2020 at 7:50 PM, JohnM said:

Does anyone know if the R01 cut has changed or been tweaked at all over its various iterations?  I ask because I bought an early version of the R01 (cloth patch) which is quite full through the upper leg, especially relative to the waist and hem.  I'm a big-thighed guy and while I find the fit very comfortable, I'm not sure it's the most flattering cut ... for me.  I'm specifically wondering if the measurements from the top block to the knee have changed, since this is my only area of concern.

I am in the same boat regarding fit, @JohnM. I have skinny legs and the thighs on R01 are big on me. The cut still works and looks ok, but they're on the baggier end of the spectrum of "jeans that look good on me." Judging by the SE measurements only, it doesn't appear the thigh size was altered (much) from the SExR01 (cloth patch) to the Indigo Lovers iteration. Looking forward to seeing the measurements for the Cone lots...and to someone, anyone from SuFu getting a link to the product description before Monday. :D:ph34r:

^ I agree goodrain.  If he did make KS again (or something similar), I could size the waist up, knowing that the hips and thighs would still be pretty trim and linear.  With R01, I hesitate to size the waist up too much, due to the width of the upper leg.  It's an aging muffin top issue on my part, admittedly ;-)

Edited by JohnM

14 hours ago, andrewrose said:

Check the third photo on the lower left corner- definitely some sort of stitching on the pocket, or so it appears...

I'm also curious if those thread snips in the third picture were strategically placed to cover a tab...

I've found that the thing with the R01 cut is that you need to give them a decent amount of time to break in and really mold to your body. My first pair of R01s went from being somewhat unflattering to being my favorite cut, pretty much ever. Some of this was getting used to wider jeans, no doubt. But a lot of it was the denim changing and really breaking in. Give the R01 time. They're worth it. 

Edited by CityPickin'
spelling

5 minutes ago, CityPickin' said:

I've found that the thing with the R01 cut is that you need to give them a decent amount of time to break in and really mold to your body. My first pair of R01s went from being somewhat unflattering to being my favorite cut, pretty much ever. Some of this was getting used to wider jeans, no doubt. But a lot of it what the denim changing and really breaking in. Give the R01 time. They're worth it. 

do you have comparison pics or at least post break-in pics?