Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I saw those KSs. They were going for a fair price as well. That’s probably why they only lasted a couple of days.  I got an unworn pair not too long ago and they quickly became my favorite pair. The denim seems to age a bit quicker than the black seed and the cut is perfect. 

Here are the raw measurements of the size 32 Indigo Lovers.

Waist - 16.5” (waistband pulled tight)

Front Rise - 13”

Back Rise - 17.5”

Thigh @ crotch - 13.75”

Thigh 1” down - 13.25”

Knee 14” down - 9.75”

34” down - 9”

Hem - 9”

Inseam - 37.5”

For comparison, below are raw measurements for a size 33 R01 purchased directly from Roy.

Waist - 17”

Front Rise - 13.15”

Back Rise - 17.5”

Thigh @ crotch - 13.75”

Thigh 1” down - 13.5”

Knee 14” - 10”

Hem - 9.15”

Inseam - 35.5”

After a hot wash:

Waist - 16.5”

Front Rise - 12.5”

Back Rise - 16.5”

Thigh @ Crotch - 13.5”

Thigh 1” Down - 13”

Knee 14” - 9.35”

Hem - 8.75”

Inseam - 32.25”

My R01s size 32, cloth SE patch variety, are my best fitting pair and the only jeans I wear these days so I decided to pick up the Indigo Lovers too. I haven’t worn the size 33s much but they also fit great. 

Just for a complete picture here are measurements from the Roy x SE w/ cloth patch size 32. These were soaked by Roy so hard to tell where they started at.

Roy x SE cloth patch 32s

Measurements after 15 minute soak by Roy.

Waist - 16”

Front rise - 12.5“

Back rise - 16.5“

Thigh at crotch - 13.5”

Thigh 1” down - 13“

Knee 14” down - 9.5“

Hem - 8.75“

Inseam - 35.25“

After a hot wash:

Waist - 30.5”

Front rise -12”

Back rise - 15.75”

Thigh at crotch - 13.25”

Thigh 1” down - 12.5”

Knee 14” down - 9”

Hem - 8.5”

Inseam - 33.5“

So yeah, I never really understood why people liked their Roy’s so much but I do now, the fit is just so good.

Edited by jegr

R01 Indigo Lover's arrived today. I took pre-wash measurements. Not sure when I'll get to take pics, wash and wear them. Initial impressions are same as with all of Roy's clothes - they are awesome! I love the polished buttons on this pair. I'll take some pics of the Black Seed denim in raw state next to some that have been washed. When raw it's really streaky, grey-ish blue, and appears light in color because the weft shows through so much. After a couple washes and the denim shrinks, it appears darker in color, and bluer, I think because the weave becomes denser and less weft shows through. 

The measurements are slightly tweaked from the 1st pair of R01's I have w/ cloth patch. Interesting the waist on the 33 IL's in the same size as the 32 cloth patch. The thighs and knees are very voluminous. In raw state, they are HUGE on me. If I didn't have prior experience w/ how much this denim shrinks, I'd think they are 2 sizes too big. 

Waist, laid flat: 16.5" 

Waist, aligned: 17.0" 

Front rise: 13.125" 

Back rise: 17.5" 

Thigh at crotch: 13.75" 

Thigh 2" down: 12.875" 

Knee 14: down: 9.875" 

Hem: 8.75" 

Inseam: 38.5 

What do you mean by “Aligned” when you give the waist measurement? Seems like the actual flat waist measurement is way off from the waist measurement Self Edge provides on their site.

19 hours ago, mpukas said:

R01 Indigo Lover's arrived today. I took pre-wash measurements. Not sure when I'll get to take pics, wash and wear them. Initial impressions are same as with all of Roy's clothes - they are awesome! I love the polished buttons on this pair. I'll take some pics of the Black Seed denim in raw state next to some that have been washed. When raw it's really streaky, grey-ish blue, and appears light in color because the weft shows through so much. After a couple washes and the denim shrinks, it appears darker in color, and bluer, I think because the weave becomes denser and less weft shows through. 

The measurements are slightly tweaked from the 1st pair of R01's I have w/ cloth patch. Interesting the waist on the 33 IL's in the same size as the 32 cloth patch. The thighs and knees are very voluminous. In raw state, they are HUGE on me. If I didn't have prior experience w/ how much this denim shrinks, I'd think they are 2 sizes too big. 

Waist, laid flat: 16.5" 

Waist, aligned: 17.0" 

Front rise: 13.125" 

Back rise: 17.5" 

Thigh at crotch: 13.75" 

Thigh 2" down: 12.875" 

Knee 14: down: 9.875" 

Hem: 8.75" 

Inseam: 38.5 

On 4/17/2020 at 1:43 PM, Shorty Long said:

Seems like the actual flat waist measurement is way off from the waist measurement Self Edge provides on their site.

I also replied in the Blunders thread... Yeah, my waist measurement came up quite a bit smaller than SE's measurements listed on-line. I love Kiya and what's he's done/doing w/ SE, but I don't think I've ever had a pair where my measurements are close to what they post. 

1 hour ago, mpukas said:

I also replied in the Blunders thread... Yeah, my waist measurement came up quite a bit smaller than SE's measurements listed on-line. I love Kiya and what's he's done/doing w/ SE, but I don't think I've ever had a pair where my measurements are close to what they post. 

Never trust SE measurements. They’ve always been off compared to what I measure. 

1 hour ago, mpukas said:

That's interesting. I do a lot of the measuring for the online store and I'm wondering where the discrepancy is and also on previous purchases you've made from SE....sorry if I'm misreading it but the measurements you posted for the indigolovers dont seem that different from what we measured ourselves? I do have to average out some measurements if there are some differences in measurements which in this case, there were some differences across 3-4 of the same size. For the thigh, we measure 1" down and for the waist, we do lay flat but we also pull the fabric a bit to flatten the fabric to make sure it's truly flat as opposed to laying naturally which would bunch in places and be prone to differences in measurements based on how it falls. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest

For me at least the discrepancy is pretty clear in the waist measurement, which is probably the most important. I, like mpukas, got a size 33, and just like him I measure the waist at approx. 16.5” across laid flat. That results in a waist measurement of 33.” SE lists a measured waist of 34.3” for size 33.

23 minutes ago, youngofthesoonest said:

That's interesting. I do a lot of the measuring for the online store and I'm wondering where the discrepancy is....sorry if I'm misreading it but the measurements you posted dont seem that different from what we measured ourselves? I do have to average out some measurements if there are some differences in measurements which in this case, there were some differences across 3-4 of the same size. For the thigh, we measure 1" down and for the waist, we do lay flat but we also pull the fabric a bit to flatten the fabric to make sure it's truly flat as opposed to laying naturally which would bunch in places and be prone to differences in measurements based on how it falls. 

Edited by Shorty Long

28 minutes ago, Shorty Long said:

For me at least the discrepancy is pretty clear in the waist measurement, which is probably the most important. I, like mpukas, got a size 33, and just like him I measure the waist at approx. 16.5” across laid flat. That results in a waist measurement of 33.” SE lists a measured waist of 34.3” for size 33.

When laying flat and measuring, do you pull on the waistband to make sure it's truly flat? We do make sure to pull on the fabric to flatten it so there aren't any gaps in the waistband (not aligning the front and back but that wouldn't matter in this since doing that doesnt cause a 1"+ difference). I'm wondering if that's where the misunderstanding is...It's strange that you'd get a 33 in the waist if we're measuring the same way because I measured multiple size 33 and they all hovered around 34.3"-34.4". I want to make sure that if we're spending this time measuring things, the info is actually helpful and if a method is unclear, we can try to make it clearer on how it's done. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest

Bad indoor LED lighting, but here's a comparison between Roy's Black Seed denim in washed (not worn) and raw states. 

20200425_090327.thumb.jpg.08da7ade12aad3d5a73b25dc18b0bee0.jpg

20200425_090410.thumb.jpg.1b53e513ca35ef4130d8ecb48fc49099.jpg

Edited by mpukas

Thanks kindly, @SLAB. Worn 3–4 days a week since November, 2018; washed when dirty—maybe a dozen times now, give or take? Maybe more like 20? Usually air dried, but a few times I’ve been in a hurry and put them through the machine.

So far they’re holding up well. I’ve had to patch the crotch in a few places, and the left front pocket opening is soon going to need some reinforcement, but all of the stitching’s still strong (as much as I complain, poly thread does have its upsides) and the fabric’s not even beginning to wear thin in the seat or thighs.

I’ve really liked these a whole lot. The fit’s not the most flattering on me, I think because of the extra room in the upper thighs, but they’re extremely comfortable and are well-suited to most of the work that I end up doing…and they really are aging beautifully. I don’t love Roy’s standard detailing, but you can bet I’ll jump on any future Test Lots without thinking twice.